The Student Room Group

Dismissed in Final year medical school over 0.1%

Hi , so I basically failed my final year of medical school , so effectively have been dismissed. just for context , I had a terrible year last year - both mentally and physically ( made aware to the university) and failed OSCE exam in the main sitting and the resit ( we have 10 stations - we have to pass 7 and I passed 6 each time )
I sat the exam this year - and failed the one station by 0.1% - so effectively failed the exam
for reference -I passed the PSA , SJT and written exam

my university is notorious for giving *****y feedback for OSCE , but they published our personal feedback from each station against the general feedback of the year and also clearly outlined what higher yielding students did to get higher percentages - etc.
long story short - my feedback was more or less identical to the higher yielding student category - I got the correct diagnosis and treatment and got a high patient stimulated mark - But I still failed the station .

I appealed sent out an appeal - the university misread and misquoted my entire bases of my appeal so I had to go to the next level of appeal ( which literally took months ) which they rejected as they said ' they made a typo in the original appeal' but they will not change anything in terms of their standing - On top of that - they haven't told my deanery ive failed ( they do that in my university ) so I'm still getting rotas and timetables etc , which really messes you up

I'm a bit stuck as I don't know what to do , I kind of want to move on with my life , but at the same time this have been my life for the past 7 years and I don't want to feel like i wasted all these years for nothing - does anyone have any advice ? - it it worth involving a lawyer ?
I know some people may say that maybe I wasn't supposed to be a dr , but if that is the case , I just want to make sure I did every thing I could before changing paths
Reply 1
thank you for the reply -
I haven't involved a lawyer yet , it is something I am considering
they didn't offer retaking the year - the offered other students in my position who failed by bigger margins , but not me , they seem to have a personal vendetta against me
Original post by Riddumxoxo
Hi , so I basically failed my final year of medical school , so effectively have been dismissed. just for context , I had a terrible year last year - both mentally and physically ( made aware to the university) and failed OSCE exam in the main sitting and the resit ( we have 10 stations - we have to pass 7 and I passed 6 each time )
I sat the exam this year - and failed the one station by 0.1% - so effectively failed the exam

my university is notorious for giving *****y feedback for OSCE , but they published our personal feedback from each station against the general feedback of the year and also clearly outlined what higher yielding students did to get higher percentages - etc.
long story short - my feedback was more or less identical to the higher yielding student category - I got the correct diagnosis and treatment and got a high patient stimulated mark - But I still failed the station .

I appealed sent out an appeal - the university misread and misquoted my entire bases of my appeal so I had to go to the next level of appeal ( which literally took months ) which they rejected as they said ' they made a typo in the original appeal' but they will not change anything in terms of their standing - On top of that - they haven't told my deanery ive failed ( they do that in my university ) so I'm still getting rotas and timetables etc , which really messes you up

I'm a bit stuck as I don't know what to do , I kind of want to move on with my life , but at the same time this have been my life for the past 7 years and I don't want to feel like i wasted all these years for nothing - does anyone have any advice ? - it it worth involving a lawyer ?
I know some people may say that maybe I wasn't supposed to be a dr , but if that is the case , I just want to make sure I did every thing I could before changing paths

Have you thought about appealing the decision as 0.01% isn't a lot to be dismissed for but obviously they have thought otherwise.
Appeal via your university student union representative first of all as they should be able to advise you whether or not you can appeal this decision.
Nurses who fails for similar things appeal through the university student union and majority of the time they win the case or at worse repeat the year that they have just failed on.

Did you submit any mitigating circumstances, either before or after exams?
Reply 4
once again thank your for advice
vendetta is the wring word - sorry - I tend use quite expressive language
but I do have evidence about suspicious behavior
eg deleting my portfolio 3x - not rectifying anything , but making me redo the assessments all over again etc.
Okay

once again thank your for advice
vendetta is the wring word - sorry - I tend use quite expressive language
but I do have evidence about suspicious behavior
eg deleting my portfolio 3x - not rectifying anything , but making me redo the assessments all over again etc.

So use every bit of evidence that you can provide in this case.
Reply 6
Original post by Allyson2020
Have you thought about appealing the decision as 0.01% isn't a lot to be dismissed for but obviously they have thought otherwise.
Appeal via your university student union representative first of all as they should be able to advise you whether or not you can appeal this decision.
Nurses who fails for similar things appeal through the university student union and majority of the time they win the case or at worse repeat the year that they have just failed on.

thank you for the advice !
but my student union is useless and tends to side with the university
I have appealed with the university , but they are quite adamant in their decision
I know nothing about medical school but I am wishing you all the best and hoping you get through this
I have appealed with the university , but they are quite adamant in their decision

No worries

Generally student union does tend to favour the students but it seems like your university have been collaborating with the student union if they are siding with the university on things so I understand why you thinking about a lawyer.

Maybe you should see someone about it and then let them take things on for you.
Why not print them of as that'way they have a original copy of every email that been sent back and forth...
Only a suggestion rather than writing it all down...!!

(Original post by ecolier)Make sure you write everything down and keep evidence of all of these (in case your Uni email gets locked out) etc.

Expressive language will not do you well in court. Calm down and collect the evidence.

Your appeal will be based on your mental / physical health and not because of vendattas, suspicious behaviours etc.

Thank you
I have transferred all my emails to another account as they said they will will certainly lock me out in august
before taking anything to court , I was advised to go to national university ombudsman instead
(Original post by ecolier)Make sure you write everything down and keep evidence of all of these (in case your Uni email gets locked out) etc.

Expressive language will not do you well in court. Calm down and collect the evidence.

Your appeal will be based on your mental / physical health and not because of vendattas, suspicious behaviours etc.

Thank you
I have transferred all my emails to another account as they said they will will certainly lock me out in august
before taking anything to court , I was advised to go to national university ombudsman instead

Wise move doing this with your emails 🙂🙂
If the appeal is unsuccessful , can anything actually be done with an exit degree ?
(edited 1 year ago)
If the appeal is unsuccessful , can anything actually be done with an exit degree ?

Hi, any updates?
Very sorry to hear of your circumstances, but is this the full picture you have outlined? If you have passed each of the previous 4 years with an unblemished record, and the narrowly failed the last year and the resit, then it is not very clear why you have not been offered the opportunity to resit the year. Especially if others who have failed have been offered the chance to resit the year. What reason has been given for not being offered the chance to resit. There will be objective regulations on this laid down by the university. Have you scrutinised those? Generally, universities are wanting to get as many students over the finish line as possible, because it reflects badly on them if they don’t! Are there any other circumstances at play here? Be honest with yourself about that question. Also, your figure of 0.1% does not quite add up…. I thought most marking regimes round marks to the nearest 1%… i.e. are not calculated using decimal places. Do correct me if that is wrong.
Original post by Anonymous
Very sorry to hear of your circumstances, but is this the full picture you have outlined? If you have passed each of the previous 4 years with an unblemished record, and the narrowly failed the last year and the resit, then it is not very clear why you have not been offered the opportunity to resit the year. Especially if others who have failed have been offered the chance to resit the year. What reason has been given for not being offered the chance to resit. There will be objective regulations on this laid down by the university. Have you scrutinised those? Generally, universities are wanting to get as many students over the finish line as possible, because it reflects badly on them if they don’t! Are there any other circumstances at play here? Be honest with yourself about that question. Also, your figure of 0.1% does not quite add up…. I thought most marking regimes round marks to the nearest 1%… i.e. are not calculated using decimal places. Do correct me if that is wrong.

How is your appeal ended

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending