The Student Room Group

Official TSR Accounting and Finance Society

Scroll to see replies

Hello :smile: first post on this thread :colondollar:
I was wondering why I haven't seen anyone on this thread having applied to Strathclyde or Glasgow for Accounting and Finance, considering their both high ranks? Especially Strathclyde with its ranking of first in the Sunday Times 2011 University Guide (and yes, I know rankings aren't everything lol). I know most of yous are from England, but some have applied to Edinburgh instead. I don't know the entry requirements for Edinburgh in comparison to Strathclyde, just wanted to know if there was a reason :tongue: Applied for both of them with Maths btw, just wanted to know what down South thought of the two unis and perhaps help me choose which one I should go to :rolleyes:
Reply 181
is aston businesss school good for accounting. how well is it compared to likes of warwick, southampton, birmingham, leeds?

and im new btw!
Original post by Planar
What do you mean by "type of uni"? Do you mean one of much status, eg LSE, or what exactly?

Often reputation will have something to do with it, but I'd pick five universities you'd consider (campus/city, north/south, big/small, high rep/low rep) and see what they want.
Original post by forgottensecret
Hello :smile: first post on this thread :colondollar:
I was wondering why I haven't seen anyone on this thread having applied to Strathclyde or Glasgow for Accounting and Finance, considering their both high ranks? Especially Strathclyde with its ranking of first in the Sunday Times 2011 University Guide (and yes, I know rankings aren't everything lol). I know most of yous are from England, but some have applied to Edinburgh instead. I don't know the entry requirements for Edinburgh in comparison to Strathclyde, just wanted to know if there was a reason :tongue: Applied for both of them with Maths btw, just wanted to know what down South thought of the two unis and perhaps help me choose which one I should go to :rolleyes:

I'm in my third year now, originally applied for Dundee, Edinburgh and Stirling for accountancy, but ended up going to Stirling (not because of grades, but because it's just nicer). From my perspective, the entry requirements for all three of those uni's were near identical (a B or C in any higher) and I have a feeling Glasow and Strathclyde would have been the same. I'm obviously just rambling as I am neither from down south or know much about the two unis.
Reply 184
Hi, I'm Norwegian and I'd like to study business or economics in the London area. I've converted my grades from Norwegian to IB (International Baccalaureate), I have about 33-34. Will I be able to get into any respectable unis? In Norway I can get into every uni or business school except the most prestigious one, I really want to study in London but Iäd rather study at a good Norwegian uni that a crap UK one.

I've researched a bit and for example Cass (which is quite good, I think) requires 35... Are my grades too poor for most unis? In Norway the system goes from 1 (fail) to 6, I have for example 6 in Social sciences, English and International English, 5 in Entrepeneurshio and Management, but only 3 in Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics.
Original post by marieisfab
I'm in my third year now, originally applied for Dundee, Edinburgh and Stirling for accountancy, but ended up going to Stirling (not because of grades, but because it's just nicer). From my perspective, the entry requirements for all three of those uni's were near identical (a B or C in any higher) and I have a feeling Glasow and Strathclyde would have been the same. I'm obviously just rambling as I am neither from down south or know much about the two unis.

WOW! You should see it now! I don't know much about the three you applied to, but Strathclyde for example, requires AAAA or AAABB, and at the open day, the woman couldn't enforce enough that these were the MINIMUM. How is accountancy anyways :biggrin: I'm much more of a Maths lover myself, but find myself drawn to accountancy along with maths for job prospects and such :rolleyes:
Reply 186
Hello people

I'm applying for Accounting & Finance this year, already applied to Southampton, LSE, Nottingham and Bath. I've got one place free and would really like to make it Birmingham but I'm not sure. I'm being put off by Birmingham's lowly rank of 53 in the completeuniversityguide. Anyone know whether their course is any good?

Cheears
Original post by forgottensecret
WOW! You should see it now! I don't know much about the three you applied to, but Strathclyde for example, requires AAAA or AAABB, and at the open day, the woman couldn't enforce enough that these were the MINIMUM. How is accountancy anyways :biggrin: I'm much more of a Maths lover myself, but find myself drawn to accountancy along with maths for job prospects and such :rolleyes:

Don't listen to them, honestly. At the Edinburgh open day I was told I would need to get at least an A before they'd even *consider* me, which ended up being a lot of bull. Of course, I already had my grades from fifth year which is why I only needed one grade (AAB and an A at int 2). Maths is obviously has a bit more competition (as do university places now) so grade requirements may be slightly higher though what's she's telling you is probably a slight exaggeration.

Accountancy is a little bit boring to tell the truth, but that's because I haven't started doing things which are new to me until now (having done any classes in accounting before at any level will have you set well into your second year). If you enjoy maths, you'll probably enjoy accounts if you have a chance to do it as side modules, I'd take it - there's a lot of theory, but lots of number work as well. Accountancy would set you out with slightly better job prospects (most university's now equip graduates with exemptions from certain modules if/when they choose to go chatered as a lot of what you need to know is covered by your university modules), and as much as I would love to say "do what you enjoy at uni" we both know it's not that simple anymore. If I was doing what I enjoy, I would be doing English or Politics.
Don't listen to them, honestly. At the Edinburgh open day I was told I would need to get at least an A before they'd even *consider* me, which ended up being a lot of bull. Of course, I already had my grades from fifth year which is why I only needed one grade (AAB and an A at int 2). Maths is obviously has a bit more competition (as do university places now) so grade requirements may be slightly higher though what's she's telling you is probably a slight exaggeration.

Accountancy is a little bit boring to tell the truth, but that's because I haven't started doing things which are new to me until now (having done any classes in accounting before at any level will have you set well into your second year). If you enjoy maths, you'll probably enjoy accounts if you have a chance to do it as side modules, I'd take it - there's a lot of theory, but lots of number work as well. Accountancy would set you out with slightly better job prospects (most university's now equip graduates with exemptions from certain modules if/when they choose to go chatered as a lot of what you need to know is covered by your university modules), and as much as I would love to say "do what you enjoy at uni" we both know it's not that simple anymore. If I was doing what I enjoy, I would be doing English or Politics.

Yeah, I hate how intricate simply choosing a course has got. It sucks thats you now have to think more about job prospects, etc, moreso than how much you enjoy actual course. Just happens, I have a course which I love which will have HOPEFULLY good job prospects :rolleyes: Thank you very much for your reply and I hope your course starts to become a bit more exciting (well as exciting as an Accountancy couse can get :tongue:)

That would be nice - unfortunately a degree is only a small stepping stone in that direction.

As for doing what you enjoy, it's definitely possible - I love what I study and have never seriously considered another career path.
Original post by Ice_Queen
That would be nice - unfortunately a degree is only a small stepping stone in that direction.

As for doing what you enjoy, it's definitely possible - I love what I study and have never seriously considered another career path.

Better than no stepping stone! I've only got a few exemptions at the moment (missed out on one by a hair width and so annoyed), but by the time I'll be finished uni and in work they probably won't count anymore.

I do wish I had just went straight in as an assisstant or something in a firm when I finished school. I'm not sure if the university expierence is really been worth it all for me. I've made brilliant friends and had a lot of good times, but I'm still a long long way from where I need to be.
Better than no stepping stone! I've only got a few exemptions at the moment (missed out on one by a hair width and so annoyed), but by the time I'll be finished uni and in work they probably won't count anymore.

I do wish I had just went straight in as an assisstant or something in a firm when I finished school. I'm not sure if the university expierence is really been worth it all for me. I've made brilliant friends and had a lot of good times, but I'm still a long long way from where I need to be.

I do agree, but people shouldn't go to uni just for the exemptions, it's not worth it. In the three years I spent doing my undergraduate and getting a few exemptions, I could have got a shed load of experience and completed the qualification!

That's the thing with accounting, I'm really not sure a degree is the right way to go. I wish I'd thought it through more carefully, but hey, I met an awesome boyfriend, I managed to get away from the Hell that is my family house, and my graduation day was the proudest moment of my life.
Reply 192
What is the best Uni out of these for Accounting and Finance

Surrey, Sheffield Hallam, Hertfordshire Brunel or Brookes
Original post by AHassan

In my opinion, Surrey :smile: But I don't know about the league tables if that's what you're after.
Original post by AHassan

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=8727

If you're taking league tables into account, Surrey is the highest ranked out of your choices.
Managed to scrape a 60-65% in that stats project I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely shocked. I still reckon that I'm getting someone elses marks.

Stats exam a week tomorrow and then consolidated exam a week on Monday. I know what I need to do for revision but its actually being bothered with it.

(I'm too busy being nervous about hearing back about a promotion at work.)
Reply 196
Hi,
Quick Question: I've got offers from Sheffield & Birmingham for the same grades (more or less) & i was wondering which uni would be best in terms of career options. B'ham have ranked at no. 53 & sheffield have ranked at no. 22, however looking at some of the threads here people seem to prefer B'ham to Sheffs. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,
Ree-Shay<3
Original post by Ree-Shay
Hi,
Quick Question: I've got offers from Sheffield & Birmingham for the same grades (more or less) & i was wondering which uni would be best in terms of career options. B'ham have ranked at no. 53 & sheffield have ranked at no. 22, however looking at some of the threads here people seem to prefer B'ham to Sheffs. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,
Ree-Shay<3

Well which one do you prefer (i.e. atmosphere, course, city...)? All else being equal, Sheffield.

Though as a Northerner (my family are all from Yorkshire) I have a slight bias there :p:
Reply 198
Original post by Ice_Queen
Well which one do you prefer (i.e. atmosphere, course, city...)? All else being equal, Sheffield.

Though as a Northerner (my family are all from Yorkshire) I have a slight bias there :p:

I haven't been to see them yet but atm im leaning towards Sheffield.
Reply 199
Hi guys.
I'm having a tough time choosing between a degree in accounting or finance.
Which degree has a bigger workload and is easier to grasp? Also, which one requires memorizing more theory?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending