The Student Room Group

PPE. How 'maths heavy' is PPE. What kind of maths?

Hey,

I was thinking of doing PPE after college but I haven't done maths at a-level or to an A grade at GCSE.

I got a B at GCSE and didn't enjoy maths very much but I wasn't motivated to do well. I was predicted an A and I know if I had actually worked or even just revised I could have got an A. So I was wondering how hard the maths in the economics part of PPE is and what type of maths it is. I presume it isn't trigonometry or anything boring like that? Hoping that the maths is a bit more interesting and useful.

Also I heard most universities want A's at GCSE and probably won't take "I could have if i tried". I don't think taking maths at AS next year is an option unless absolutely necessary but that could harm my chances of getting straight a's in my other subjects at A2.

Thanks for any answers
Reply 1
The Maths in the York PPE course involves a lot of calculus (integration and differentiation), matrices, sets and relations, equation systems and constrained optimisation (Lagrangian functions). It takes a fair whack of maths aptitude to do well in the maths aspect of the course, and 30-40% of my year failed the first year maths module first time around.

If you want to do Economics as part of a PPE degree, I would strongly suggest doing Maths at AS-Level. It would help you significantly, in admissions and beyond.
Reply 2
At Oxford some colleges require it, some don't...

Basically you need to be able to do maths, but you are taught it here. There's lectures for those who haven't got AS Maths. We have classes in college that are just maths, which everyone goes to. Kinda teaches you what's relevant to Economics. But in my year at my college, we've all done at least AS. I think it strengthens your application maybe? After Prelims (first year) you can obviously choose less mathematical modules, or no economics at all!

Perhaps email some unis you're interested in and see what they say?

xxxxxxxxxxxx
Which college did you go to? Could you name the colleges that require less math for PPE at Oxford?

Latest

Trending

Trending