The Student Room Group
Reply 1
wigman15
Hey!

How do lymphocytes get to the sites of infection from the lymph nodes?

Thanks

They utilize specialized surface proteins and carbohydrate entities called adhesion molecules for trafficking through the host. These adhesion molecules recognize specific ligands on endothelial cells of the vasculature and the secondary lymphoid organs allowing them to bind and cross through the endothelial cell barriers.
Reply 2
2 2776
They utilize specialized surface proteins and carbohydrate entities called adhesion molecules for trafficking through the host. These adhesion molecules recognize specific ligands on endothelial cells of the vasculature and the secondary lymphoid organs allowing them to bind and cross through the endothelial cell barriers.

Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately, I do not understand most of that as I am an AS student and haven't done much detail about lymphocytes at school.
Reply 3
wigman15
Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately, I do not understand most of that as I am an AS student and haven't done much detail about lymphocytes at school.

Same here. You can surely understand some of it, ie carrier proteins etc...
Reply 4
2 2776
Same here. You can surely understand some of it, ie carrier proteins etc...

I understand that bit, but what does this mean "specific ligands on endothelial cells of the vasculature and the secondary lymphoid organs"?
Reply 5
wigman15
I understand that bit, but what does this mean "specific ligands on endothelial cells of the vasculature and the secondary lymphoid organs"?

Ligands are like water ligands on berilium. Similar to glycoproteins in shape and function.

Endothelial cells are cells in the inside of the blood vessel

Vasculature-mass transport system of body, ie blood vessel

2ndry lymphoid organs = control the quality of immune responses. There are Differences among the various lymphatic tissues, this is the secondary one
Reply 6
Go onto the s-cool site. its really good for all that and it should tell ya. what exam board r u doin bio with??
Reply 7
If it helps, a ligand is where a molecule contains a metal atom(s) which is bonded to non-metal atoms by means of dative covalent bonds.

Latest

Trending

Trending