The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

What is KCL good for?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by LutherVan
The course seems to be very popular, and competitive to get into, based on posts on TSR and since KCL is one of the top Unis in getting people into front office in IB, I figured the course would be a contributor.

yeah thats 4 maths thoo
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 21
Original post by Brianop
yeah thats 4 maths thoo

KCL is not that great at Maths.
Reply 22

you are not great at maths :indiff:
Reply 23

They have good links. KCL are HIGHLY selective with maths students.
Reply 24
Original post by renjie
you are not great at maths :indiff:

No, I am not. :biggrin::tongue:
Reply 25
Original post by blackvelvet07
I know KCL's pretty good for Med but what about neurosci/biochem and the science-based stuff? Is KCL worth the effort of moving and living in London?:smile:

UCL is the best in the world for neuroscience, literally. Not sure about biochemistry... look up the subject rankings for KCL. I know they are good for War Studies; not sure about any other subjects.
Reply 26
Original post by INTJ
UCL is the best in the world for neuroscience, literally. Not sure about biochemistry... look up the subject rankings for KCL. I know they are good for War Studies; not sure about any other subjects.

yeah, look up the rankings for war studies xD
Reply 27
The course seems to be very popular, and competitive to get into, based on posts on TSR and since KCL is one of the top Unis in getting people into front office in IB, I figured the course would be a contributor.

Yeah, this is what I know about this department too...But unfortunately the fact that it is a ridiculously competitive department to get into at a very good uni does not necessarily mean that it is a good department....Although I wish it was (as I got in and now deferring a year). Not sure if I wanna go there though. Never mind, thanks for the info.
Reply 28
Anyone know anything about Geography at KCL?
Reply 29
Original post by ksanyee
Yeah, this is what I know about this department too...But unfortunately the fact that it is a ridiculously competitive department to get into at a very good uni does not necessarily mean that it is a good department....Although I wish it was (as I got in and now deferring a year). Not sure if I wanna go there though. Never mind, thanks for the info.

You can have a look at this website for better university than KCL in regards to prestige.

http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-141689.0.html
Reply 30
Original post by INTJ

Jamaican Studies.
Reply 31
You can have a look at this website for better university than KCL in regards to prestige.

http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-141689.0.html

Accurate rankings man. Props.
Reply 32
Original post by 2nd_slip
Accurate rankings man. Props.

Durham should be higher in that 'ranking'; Warwick should be just above Bristol; and UCL should be above Imperial. I don't think that is a good ranking at all.

Original post by INTJ

I don't know about the undergrad neuroscience teaching at King's, but I can tell you that their post-grad Neurosciences and the neuroscience research departments are absolutely world class. I work there, I should know :p:
Reply 34
Original post by INTJ
Durham should be higher in that 'ranking'; Warwick should be just above Bristol; and UCL should be above Imperial. I don't think that is a good ranking at all.

How can you say UCL above imperial?
Reply 35
How can you say UCL above imperial?

I was a bit hasty there. They are equal, I think. But UCL should be above the LSE, for sure.
Reply 36
Original post by INTJ
I was a bit hasty there. They are equal, I think. But UCL should be above the LSE, for sure.

Why would UCL be above LSE?
Reply 37
Why would UCL be above LSE?

Higher in most rankings, offers more subjects, excels in more subjects and has more papers cited etc. The list goes on, really. International reputation is largely the same; prestige is pretty equal, and each have incredibly tough courses to get onto, but also a few easier AAB subjects.
Reply 38
Original post by INTJ
Higher in most rankings, offers more subjects, excels in more subjects and has more papers cited etc. The list goes on, really. International reputation is largely the same; prestige is pretty equal, and each have incredibly tough courses to get onto, but also a few easier AAB subjects.

UCL can in no way compare with LSE.

It is not higher in local rankings. It is well known that international rankings are science and technology biased and these are fields that LSE has no participation in.

Offering more subjects is not a sign of superiority, otherwise you can as well say Manchester, Southampton, Sheffield etc are also better.

UCL has more papers cited because it has a wider spread of subjects and it is bigger. LSE had the highest % of research regarded as 'world leading' at 35%, both oxbridge at second at 32%.

International reputation is not the same, UCL would not even match Imperial in international reputation. LSE international reputation is way better. You really need to check with adults, LSE's name is bigger internationally, that is why it produces world leaders globally and top government officials in the US rush to study there. A lot of secretary of states are LSE grads. UCL does not have that type of international reputation.

Here is the alumni list of LSE and UCL (note UCL has with former staff listed, not only students, unlike LSE), UCL is no better than even KCL. UCL can't even summon half of what LSE can:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_London_School_of_Economics_people
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_College_London_people
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_King%27s_College_London_alumni

Lastly, LSE is harder to get into and requires tougher grades than UCL.

UCL is the weakest of the G5.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39

Are you insane?

Quick Reply

Latest