The Student Room Group

Achieve an "A" in GCSE Maths?

Hi All

How can I achieve a "A" in GCSE Maths?
My current target grade is a "B", but i really need an "A" in maths so I can take computing for a-level

Thanks
Reply 1
You still should be able to take A-level Computing with just a B for Mathematics GCSE; I don't think Computing will rely that heavily on Mathematics, even though you need to be good at Maths. You haven't really given us much info ie. if you're doing modular, what year you're in etc. but my best advice to you is to work hard! Do plenty of past papers and make sure you understand everything inside out and you should be fine.
I had my Edexcel Modular exam today and have been putting in solid revision since August as I'm in the same position of wanting to get an A so I can do Economics as an A Level.

I reccomend the CGP Revision guide and making sure you know each topic and can do exam questions. Towards the few weeks running up to your exam do lots of Past Papers and mark them yourself so you know where you went wrong.

For example, I done a past paper one day and marked it, then went through the questions I got wrong and done some more revision on that topic and asked my teacher.

Dont be afraid to ask. Make a rough timetable. And to get a good grade, DO NOT revise all last minute. Space your time out and get an hour or so in daily.

Basically: revision, past papers, revision, revision, past papers.
Get the mathswatch CD (Buy it from your school). It doesn't cost more than £3 and it's the best revision guide for maths that I know of. It's so helpful.
Reply 4
order a maths watch CD
Reply 5
Past Papers

The Gods of maths revision, as long as you've listened in class and you have an idea of what you're meant to do then the best way to revise IMO is past papers. For example I have a Maths exam next monday (AQA B Module 1) and most of what I've been doing is past papers, marking them and seeing where I've been going wrong. I also did this for another exam in March this year and managed 159/162 A* nearly all from past papers, could have gotten full marks, however I didn't revise graphs (easy part of topic -.-) thoroughly enough since it's difficult to do from the computer. Anyway I'm babbling...

Mathswatch

Your school probably offers it, if not have a look around the internet and see if you can find out how to get it. It's great for revising certain things you don't quite understand or remember. You can play little visual podcasts where you're shown an example of something, and then after you're given a question to do to see if you can do it.

The Revision Guides I suppose are also valuable, but I haven't used mine much at all. There's various "how-to" videos on YouTube on various things, which helped me with Surds, so they're worth a look in too.

Good luck!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Thanks Guys

Where can I get Mathswatch from if my school does not provide it?
Past papers past papers and past papers
Reply 8
Lots of past papers, lots of revision - if there are any after school/lunch revision lessons go to them :biggrin:
I got a B without doing these things, now I wish I'd tried for an A by revising :smile: Good Luck!
I got a* on my handling data one :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending