The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Lse economics

Hi,
I really want to do economics at lse but I failed maths first year due to bad organisation's and family issues, my mum got diagnosed with TB so I'm resitting maths next year do u think it's worth applying and what is the likelihood of me getting in.
Fyi I'm predicted A*A*A*A my subjects are economics, English literature, psychology and maths.
Thank you 😊
Reply 1
Original post by 22Sarah
Hi,
I really want to do economics at lse but I failed maths first year due to bad organisation's and family issues, my mum got diagnosed with TB so I'm resitting maths next year do u think it's worth applying and what is the likelihood of me getting in.
Fyi I'm predicted A*A*A*A my subjects are economics, English literature, psychology and maths.
Thank you 😊

Sorry about your mum I hope she has recovered now. With your grades you have a great chance so I'd apply
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by 22Sarah
Hi,
Thank you 😊

Hi, I hope your mum is doing well and is back to full heath. Your previous maths grade if mentioned in your application would provide contextual background so it shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding LSE Economics, I would suggest a different route. Economics itself is their most popular course and on the website it lists Further Maths as 'desirable'. From past experience and advice from other students unless your school didn't provide it, it translates to essential, moreover London unis have a strong bias to international students, given there extra tuition fees. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't accept you but you have to be very strong as a home candidate for them to consider.

An alternative approach would be applying for an Economics AND ___ course. Examples include Economics and Economic History, Environment, Geography just to name a few. I took this route last year although was unsuccesful, which I believe my downside was your application has to mention the other subject a lot in the statement which I believe mine didn't.

If you wanted my honest opinion, last year I did want LSE as well but I have shied away from that now. It's very expensive, not too campus based etc, but yes the course is very good. I would choose Warwick as a reach uni as it is slightly worse/equivalent and have no mention to further maths. Bristol/Durham/Notts/Bath all do very well too. If you really want London I would go for Kings as well.

This is just my advice, if your passionate and want LSE I would try my route but make sure your application fairly includes the AND subject. Best of luck with your application process.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Alpinator
Hi, I hope your mum is doing well and is back to full heath. Your previous maths grade if mentioned in your application would provide contextual background so it shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding LSE Economics, I would suggest a different route. Economics itself is their most popular course and on the website it lists Further Maths as 'desirable'. From past experience and advice from other students unless your school didn't provide it, it translates to essential, moreover London unis have a strong bias to international students, given there extra tuition fees. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't accept you but you have to be very strong as a home candidate for them to consider.

An alternative approach would be applying for an Economics AND ___ course. Examples include Economics and Economic History, Environment, Geography just to name a few. I took this route last year although was unsuccesful, which I believe my downside was your application has to mention the other subject a lot in the statement which I believe mine didn't.

If you wanted my honest opinion, last year I did want LSE as well but I have shied away from that now. It's very expensive, not too campus based etc, but yes the course is very good. I would choose Warwick as a reach uni as it is slightly worse/equivalent and have no mention to further maths. Bristol/Durham/Notts/Bath all do very well too. If you really want London I would go for Kings as well.

This is just my advice, if your passionate and want LSE I would try my route but make sure your application fairly includes the AND subject. Best of luck with your application process.

Thanks for the concern,
She's doing better now I will take this into consideration and king's was one of my options but I heard it has a large dropout rate is there any other good unis for econ in London?
Original post by 22Sarah
Hi,
Thank you 😊

Given that LSE want an A* in maths, even for contextual applicants, I fear that you have very little chance of an offer.
Reply 5
Original post by 22Sarah
Hi,
Thank you 😊

With an A in Maths, rather than A*, and no Further Maths, I think your chances are incredibly small i'm afraid, especially as LSE Econ is one the most competitive courses in the country.
Original post by 22Sarah
Original post by Alpinator

Thanks for the concern,
She's doing better now I will take this into consideration and king's was one of my options but I heard it has a large dropout rate is there any other good unis for econ in London?

UCL is amazing. I’m surprised it’s not been mentioned and you’re asking this question - UCL is slightly behind LSE (any uni would be, since it is the London School of ECONOMICS), but same level or even better than Warwick for Econ. It’s one of the 6 target unis for top banks and has a very strong international reputation/prestige (8th in the World / 4th in the UK for Econ).

It does ‘prefer’ Further Maths too, but chances of a UCL offer without FM are a bit higher than LSE, and possible with a strong grade profile and personal statement.
Original post by jobajojoba
Thanks for the concern,

UCL is amazing. I’m surprised it’s not been mentioned and you’re asking this question - UCL is slightly behind LSE (any uni would be, since it is the London School of ECONOMICS), but same level or even better than Warwick for Econ. It’s one of the 6 target unis for top banks and has a very strong international reputation/prestige (8th in the World / 4th in the UK for Econ).

It does ‘prefer’ Further Maths too, but chances of a UCL offer without FM are a bit higher than LSE, and possible with a strong grade profile and personal statement.
Why should UCL be mentioned? It requires an A* in maths.
Original post by ageshallnot
Thanks for the concern,

I didn’t see that, my bad.

But if OP is considering applying LSE with an A in Maths and requesting a retake, no reason they shouldn’t consider UCL - maybe they can be a bit more lenient and give an offer subject to achieving an A* in their maths retake.

I didn’t see that, my bad.

But if OP is considering applying LSE with an A in Maths and requesting a retake, no reason they shouldn’t consider UCL - maybe they can be a bit more lenient and give an offer subject to achieving an A* in their maths retake.
The OP might consider UCL and LSE, but the key question is whether those unis will consider them...
Original post by 22Sarah
Hi,
Thank you 😊

Dear Sarah,

You have 3A stars predicted in A-Level Economics, A-Level English Literature, A-Level Psychology and an A grade in A-Level Maths. This is excellent, but I think you should consider applying for Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE):

Oxford PPE only wants AAA and A in A-Level Maths.
LSE PPE want A star A A but the A star must be in A-Level Maths!!! ☹️
KCL PPE - AAA, only wants A grade A-Level Maths.
Durham PPE - A star A A but only wants A grade A-Level Maths.
York PPE - AAB, only wants a 7 i.e. A grade GCSE Maths.
Warwick PPE - A star A A with A in GCSE Maths.

So you really need to get the A-Level Maths up to an A star prediction, otherwise LSE will be impossible for you. ☹️

You really need to focus on your exam technique. You're in luck since I have gathered all the past papers, mark schemes and examiners reports for all exam boards. So I can send you the download link for free of course. Since I want you to get the A* in A-Level Pearson Edexcel Maths in June 2024. 🙂
Reply 11
Original post by thegeek888
Dear Sarah,

You have 3A stars predicted in A-Level Economics, A-Level English Literature, A-Level Psychology and an A grade in A-Level Maths. This is excellent, but I think you should consider applying for Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE):

So you really need to get the A-Level Maths up to an A star prediction, otherwise LSE will be impossible for you. ☹️

You really need to focus on your exam technique. You're in luck since I have gathered all the past papers, mark schemes and examiners reports for all exam boards. So I can send you the download link for free of course. Since I want you to get the A* in A-Level Pearson Edexcel Maths in June 2024. 🙂

Or maybe Economics, Psychology, Philosophy (EPP) at Warwick if the OP is keen to continue with Psychology rather than pick up Politics.
Reply 12
Dear Sarah,

Hi that would be amazing.
Would you mind sending the link?
Original post by 22Sarah
Hi that would be amazing.
Would you mind sending the link?

Which exam board are you taking for A-Level Maths? I will upload it shortly and PM you the link, as I am still organising the IAL papers for Edexcel and the P1-4 questions are just as relevant to normal UK A-Level too. The more practice, the better. 😉
Reply 14
Which exam board are you taking for A-Level Maths? I will upload it shortly and PM you the link, as I am still organising the IAL papers for Edexcel and the P1-4 questions are just as relevant to normal UK A-Level too. The more practice, the better. 😉

Edexcel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending