The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 27/01/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bb_cindy_tong
homeoboxes seems similar to transcription factors.
what are the differences between them?

for the similarities,
they act as transcription factors and regulates the gene duplication/ manipulation process.
they bind to promoter region, anything else?

No, actually what you mean is that homeodamains are similar to TF, but homeoboxes are completly different. They are part on the DNA which code for DNA binding site in TF which uses these binding sites to join to the DNA. As for the diffrence between homeodomains and TF, i have no clue, the article says homeodomains are a class of transcription factors.
Anyways what i really don't understand is the from scratch part can someone explain why do they have to over 300 amino acids long and what do they mean by "these RNA must have a sequence that can be edited into a viable mRNA".
thnx in advance.
Original post by TwildyM
I'm not actually sure! Is there a function or is it just the consequence of using chemical synapses? Electrical synapses are faster - not included in this syllabus - but they can't provide the same level of response complexity. Also, chemical synapses allow for there to be gain across the synapse, so that subsequent signals can get stronger or remain the same as they pass along to the next neurone. Where as impulses transfered using electrical synapses always get weaker.

I don't think we need to know that.

whilst i know you don't need to know it, just to nip this in the bud. all of the stuff in bold is not true and that in red is sometimes the case but not always. neurones are so so so much more more complicated than youre giving them justice :p:
Reply 182
Original post by flowerscat
Hi Sophia92,

I posted this under another thread a couple of days ago. These I what I consider the main points from each section. I probably will not have time to go through every point in detail, but you are welcome to get back to me with any particular areas you have difficulty with and I will try my best to help.

From how genes evolve -
1) Understanding the different types of DNA mutation mentioned in the article - frame-shift, retroposition.
2) Understanding the concept of introns and exons.
3) What is Junk DNA and how is it linked to the ability to form new genes?
4) What factors act as obstacles to junk DNA being converted to a functional gene?
5) What is subfunctionalisation of a gene and how does it help with gene evolution?

From gene control
1) understanding the importance of switching genes on and off
2) understanding transcription control of genes (look at the SNAB textbook)
3) how activators and repressors control gene expression
4) the significance of genomic imprinting
5) the role of homeoboxes

any one got notes or answer for these questions plzzzz
Reply 183
Original post by dush_2
any one got notes or answer for these questions plzzzz

don't you have any to provide...
Reply 184
What are the practicals for this?
Reply 185
Original post by John Locke
whilst i know you don't need to know it, just to nip this in the bud. all of the stuff in bold is not true and that in red is sometimes the case but not always. neurones are so so so much more more complicated than youre giving them justice :p:

Thanks for the correction. :tongue:

I'll blame the Internet and leave it at that. :biggrin:
Reply 186
Original post by sh@d0w
What are the practicals for this?

1) Measuring the rate of oxygen uptake
2) Effects of exercise on tidal volume and breathing rate
3) Investigating habituation to a stimulus.
Reply 187
Does anyone know whether synoptic questions will be mainly/entirely confined to the last 30 marks worth of questions on the article. Or whether they can/will include synoptic questions within the main body of the exam?
Reply 188
Original post by TwildyM
Does anyone know whether synoptic questions will be mainly/entirely confined to the last 30 marks worth of questions on the article. Or whether they can/will include synoptic questions within the main body of the exam?

Could be either, hopefully not like last year and not just in article questions. Maybe we won't see any.
Reply 189
Original post by sh@d0w
Could be either, hopefully not like last year and not just in article questions. Maybe we won't see any.

Doh! :frown:

I think I'd rather it was just in the article section, at least then I'd know what they'd have to base it around and know there's at least 60 marks of Units 7 and 8 in there!

I've just sat the Unit 4 exam, and since I haven't had any time to go over the other topics I'm kinda hoping any synoptic will be from Topics 5 and 6 only! If any. It Would be nice to have none. :tongue:
So... how's everyone (or anyone for that matter) feeling? Reckon a couple more hours or getting everything in my head will be enough. The article is far more pleasant this year and I'm feeling more confident than last summer.
Original post by Swaying Eel
So... how's everyone (or anyone for that matter) feeling? Reckon a couple more hours or getting everything in my head will be enough. The article is far more pleasant this year and I'm feeling more confident than last summer.

you know for the article... i dont get what we do.. :s-smilie:
we study unit 5 ... and?
Reply 192

I'm feeling reasonably confident about the core areas... not so confident about the article. Any particular areas from past topics you'd recommend looking over? I'm pretty familiar with Topics 5-8 but anything specific from AS level?

Grade boundaries are reassuring for this exam as they were for Unit 4, with 62% gaining an A* grade and 57% an A, last June.
Original post by TwildyM
I'm feeling reasonably confident about the core areas... not so confident about the article. Any particular areas from past topics you'd recommend looking over? I'm pretty familiar with Topics 5-8 but anything specific from AS level?

Grade boundaries are reassuring for this exam as they were for Unit 4, with 62% gaining an A* grade and 57% an A, last June.

I think proteins and enzymes etc from Unit 1 could be used in the article, as well as more complicated stuff from protein synthesis. I'm horribly unfamiliar with Unit 2 and 4 so I might look over that now, I'm hoping a lot of it will spring to mind really. I've been revising Unit 5 hard and a bit of wider reading around the article.

I only actually need a D in this exam to get a B overall but I really don't want to think like that! And those are some pretty cushty grade boundaries, hopefully they'll stay like that.

I am starting to poo my pants a little bit but that's cus it's quite important :tongue:
Reply 194
I think proteins and enzymes etc from Unit 1 could be used in the article, as well as more complicated stuff from protein synthesis. I'm horribly unfamiliar with Unit 2 and 4 so I might look over that now, I'm hoping a lot of it will spring to mind really. I've been revising Unit 5 hard and a bit of wider reading around the article.

I only actually need a D in this exam to get a B overall but I really don't want to think like that! And those are some pretty cushty grade boundaries, hopefully they'll stay like that.

I am starting to poo my pants a little bit but that's cus it's quite important :tongue:

I'm in the same boat with the whole need to get the grade... I need between a low B and a high A* depending on how my Unit 4 went. I'd be feeling more confident if I could actually Tell how my Unit 4 went. But, meh! :frown:

Thanks for the tips, I'm holding out for a question on protein synthesis tbh.. or if they could somehow ask about virus transcription factors and link that into the general way viruses invade their host... that'd be great! :biggrin:

Thanks for the topic tips. :smile:
Original post by TwildyM
I'm in the same boat with the whole need to get the grade... I need between a low B and a high A* depending on how my Unit 4 went. I'd be feeling more confident if I could actually Tell how my Unit 4 went. But, meh! :frown:

Thanks for the tips, I'm holding out for a question on protein synthesis tbh.. or if they could somehow ask about virus transcription factors and link that into the general way viruses invade their host... that'd be great! :biggrin:

Thanks for the topic tips. :smile:

Ah fair enough! That's the trouble with Edexcel you can never ever bloody tell haha.

I was thinking about the viruses as well cus of Retroposition etc. Do you think you could remind me of how that works? I'm all textbooked-out to read from a textbook :frown: And obviously it would help you remember too :tongue:

edit: I'd look out for PCR and Inflammation too. There's theNF-k B transcription factor which only has a cheeky small bit but it's involved in inflammation, so there might be something on that.

editedit: Also, regarding the transcription factor Dorsal, the article makes a massive point about there being "two other transcription factors" that it works alongside with, without actually naming them. I know that one of them is called Cactus, and the other one (although I'm pretty sure this is wrong) is called Toll. Maybe get you some extra marks if it asks about Dorsal. That's the TF that shapes the development of muscles and internal organs etc in fruit flys; its versatility is due to its relationship with the other two TFs (Cactus and maybe Toll).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 196
Ah fair enough! That's the trouble with Edexcel you can never ever bloody tell haha.

I was thinking about the viruses as well cus of Retroposition etc. Do you think you could remind me of how that works? I'm all textbooked-out to read from a textbook :frown: And obviously it would help you remember too :tongue:

Here are my mark points on it (the points which gained credit when the question has come up before):
glycoprotein on virus; binds with receptors (CD4); on surface membrane of lymphocytes; viral RNA enter lymphocyte; viral RNA used to produce viral RNA (in lymphocyte); by action of reverse transcriptase; ref. to formation of new viruses; lymphocyte destroyed when viruses (bud out of/leave cell); T Killer (cells/lymphocytes) destroy infected T Helper (cells/lymphocytes);

Words in italics gained credit if correct spelling was used.

edit: I'd look out for PCR and Inflammation too. There's theNF-k B transcription factor which only has a cheeky small bit but it's involved in inflammation, so there might be something on that.

Agreed! PCR is all good, inflammation not as up to date... think there's quite a lot of detail on it in one of the AS units? :frown:

Possible since they talk about evolution a lot and mutations they might want possible method to compare DNA of two species such as in Gel Electrophoresis?

editedit: Also, regarding the transcription factor Dorsal, the article makes a massive point about there being "two other transcription factors" that it works alongside with, without actually naming them. I know that one of them is called Cactus, and the other one (although I'm pretty sure this is wrong) is called Toll. Maybe get you some extra marks if it asks about Dorsal. That's the TF that shapes the development of muscles and internal organs etc in fruit flys; its versatility is due to its relationship with the other two TFs (Cactus and maybe Toll).

I've been wondering about this, do they ask questions based on the article which require knowledge which would have to be obtained from outside of the syllabus or do they limit themselves to questions which Must be answerable based on past topics?
Original post by TwildyM
Here are my mark points on it (the points which gained credit when the question has come up before):
glycoprotein on virus; binds with receptors (CD4); on surface membrane of lymphocytes; viral RNA enter lymphocyte; viral RNA used to produce viral RNA (in lymphocyte); by action of reverse transcriptase; ref. to formation of new viruses; lymphocyte destroyed when viruses (bud out of/leave cell); T Killer (cells/lymphocytes) destroy infected T Helper (cells/lymphocytes);

Words in italics gained credit if correct spelling was used.

Thank you! CD4, reverse transcriptase, embarrassingly all forgotten! Hopefully that'll be in my head tomorrow.

Original post by TwildyM
Agreed! PCR is all good, inflammation not as up to date... think there's quite a lot of detail on it in one of the AS units? :frown:

Possible since they talk about evolution a lot and mutations they might want possible method to compare DNA of two species such as in Gel Electrophoresis?

Ummm all I was looking at for Inflammation was the stuff in Unit 4. E.g. Vasodilation to increase blood flow; increase permeability of blood vessels; more immune cells to site of infection; increased permeability means immune cells can move into infected tissue etc. I can't remember anything in AS but I could be very wrong.

Gel Electrophoresis is a good point, sir. I suppose that's reasonably simple. DNA placed in well in slab of gel; covered in buffer solution for conduction of electricity; electric current passed through and DNA fragments (being negatively charged) move towards positive eletrode on other side of gel; short DNA fragments move faster etc. Then compare two DNA profiles... could come up, I feel I (or we) only need a simple understanding of it though.

Original post by TwildyM
I've been wondering about this, do they ask questions based on the article which require knowledge which would have to be obtained from outside of the syllabus or do they limit themselves to questions which Must be answerable based on past topics?

I honestly don't know - having not been in school everything's gone from my mind since last year and I haven't asked. I can't remember if some of it's comprehension or if you need wider reading. *shrug* :frown:

Maybe something on evolution as it says, regarding "How genes evolve", "the most obvious way is through gradual accumulation of small, beneficial mutations."

Might be something on that, and that's pretty straightforward :smile:

Ahh I can't wait til this is over! Thanks for your help though :smile:
Reply 198
Thank you! CD4, reverse transcriptase, embarrassingly all forgotten! Hopefully that'll be in my head tomorrow.

Ummm all I was looking at for Inflammation was the stuff in Unit 4. E.g. Vasodilation to increase blood flow; increase permeability of blood vessels; more immune cells to site of infection; increased permeability means immune cells can move into infected tissue etc. I can't remember anything in AS but I could be very wrong.

Hehe, I got confused... it was Clotting in AS not inflammation. :tongue:

Here's all I could see that's been in previous topics and I guess could be related to the article -

TOPIC 1
Proteins
Heart Disease - genetic aspect.

TOPIC 2

Nucleic acid, Enzymes
Example of genetic disease - Cystic Fibrosis, gene therapy, ethics..

TOPIC 3
Meiosis
Cell differentiation
Cancer

TOPIC 4
Drug development
Mutations and Natural Selection

TOPIC 5
Gene mutation, Gene families
Haemoglobin

TOPIC 6
Transcription/ Post Transcriptional Changes/ Translation
DNA identification/ PCR
Retroviruses (HIV)
Inflammation

Some are simple enough, probably known in greater depth from covering them in A2, others I guess would need more looking over.

I'm heading off now. Need to be up early to go over it all! :biggrin:

Good luck. Thanks for the help!
Original post by TwildyM
Hehe, I got confused... it was Clotting in AS not inflammation. :tongue:

Here's all I could see that's been in previous topics and I guess could be related to the article -

TOPIC 1
Proteins
Heart Disease - genetic aspect.

TOPIC 2

Nucleic acid, Enzymes
Example of genetic disease - Cystic Fibrosis, gene therapy, ethics..

TOPIC 3
Meiosis
Cell differentiation
Cancer

TOPIC 4
Drug development
Mutations and Natural Selection

TOPIC 5
Gene mutation, Gene families
Haemoglobin

TOPIC 6
Transcription/ Post Transcriptional Changes/ Translation
DNA identification/ PCR
Retroviruses (HIV)
Inflammation

Some are simple enough, probably known in greater depth from covering them in A2, others I guess would need more looking over.

I'm heading off now. Need to be up early to go over it all! :biggrin:

Good luck. Thanks for the help!

Ahh that's quite a lot. May just go over Meiosis and be done with it. My brain literally feels saturated.

No problem, thanks for your help! Good luck to you too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending