The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Accomodation - Hugh Stewart and Cripps

Thread aimed at current students, but anyone who visited them on Open Days are welcome to join in.

What were the two halls in the title like? I only got the chance to visit Florence Boot, which was nice, but since I am very lazy :smile: I would much rather apply for accomo at HSH and Cripps since they are near the academic buildings and library.

Oh, another thing, is the food good? :biggrin:

The accomo website is nice and all, but I would rather get a personal view from a TSRer.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
An Englishman's home is his castle :smile:

I'm sure this applies to all nationalities and sexes though.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Hu Stu is a good hall. It's massive though so there's a lot of people to meet although you might not get to know everyone, something which smaller halls are better at (not sure here).

The food is errm standard halls stuff. Some days it can be bad but on other days it can be better, just depends on the menu.
Reply 3
Whilst on the map they look like they're positioned well it is actually only about an extra 1/2 minutes walk (across the beautiful downs) to Lenton/Lincoln/Derby. HuStu and Cripps are so close to some of the academic buildings that in some rooms your view out of the window is of their car park and the wall to the geography building. The halls further away from the building are nicer imo because you're not living on the doorstep of your lectures - when you're in lectures, you're in lectures and when you're in halls, you're in halls.
Cripps is nice to look at, but a bit dingy inside, and Hu Stu has the atmosphere of a mental asylum if you walk through it after dark. The food is crap everywhere.
Reply 5
IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR 2011/12 APPLICANTS

The University of Nottingham will no longer be offering a choice of hall.

When completing the application form you will be able to indicate a preference of site (i.e. University Park, Broadgate Park...)

you will also be able to indicate a preference of roomtype (i.e. en-suite, studio, single study...)

you will no longer be able to choose a specific block or hall (i.e. Hugh Stewart, Cripps, Madison, Melton...)
Reply 6
Original post by BrenLee
IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR 2011/12 APPLICANTS

The University of Nottingham will no longer be offering a choice of hall.

When completing the application form you will be able to indicate a preference of site (i.e. University Park, Broadgate Park...)

you will also be able to indicate a preference of roomtype (i.e. en-suite, studio, single study...)

you will no longer be able to choose a specific block or hall (i.e. Hugh Stewart, Cripps, Madison, Melton...)

Oh damn! I do sure hope I get Florence Boot (yeah, I finally decided, but obvs it was too late!).
That is *******s. Absolute *******s. They're also doing away with individual wardens for each hall to save money.

Absolute *******s.
Original post by Fission_Mailed

That is *******s. Absolute *******s. They're also doing away with individual wardens for each hall to save money.

Absolute *******s.

1 warden for 3 halls :facepalm:
Reply 9
Original post by thetopnotch

It's utter *******s, they're building a 20million pound hotel but they need to save money on wardens? Bull****

And they're not even dividing them up sensibly. Lenton is going to be lumped with Sherwood and Derby, which I don't think makes nearly as much sense as putting us with Cripps and Hu Stu would. I know my warden, he is a great bloke and he has a lot of time for all of the students he is responsible for. I cannot believe that the same relationship can develop when a warden has 3 halls.
Reply 11
I think I might commute every day, hour on the train, after hearing all the scare stories about accomodation!
Original post by yahyahyahs
I think I might commute every day, hour on the train, after hearing all the scare stories about accomodation!

Don't. Despite this bone-headedness, each hall is still brilliant. Week One and Karni will look after you just the same, and you will have a brilliant time. Not living in halls as a fresher will mean you get half of the university experience.

Just not as good as we currently have it.
Original post by Tom+!
It's utter *******s, they're building a 20million pound hotel but they need to save money on wardens? Bull****

Where's the hotel?

And they're not even dividing them up sensibly. Lenton is going to be lumped with Sherwood and Derby, which I don't think makes nearly as much sense as putting us with Cripps and Hu Stu would. I know my warden, he is a great bloke and he has a lot of time for all of the students he is responsible for. I cannot believe that the same relationship can develop when a warden has 3 halls.

That's a stupid idea. Even if HuStu and Cripps were put together they'd still be putting together two of the biggest halls on campus for 1 warden :rolleyes:
Reply 14
:sigh: God damn it.

Like Fission_Mailed said don't let what's being said here put you off, halls are still one of the best experiences of uni.
Where's the hotel?

That's a stupid idea. Even if HuStu and Cripps were put together they'd still be putting together two of the biggest halls on campus for 1 warden :rolleyes:

Never underestimate the desire of the big-wigs to make slightly more money.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Don't. Despite this bone-headedness, each hall is still brilliant. Week One and Karni will look after you just the same, and you will have a brilliant time. Not living in halls as a fresher will mean you get half of the university experience.

Just not as good as we currently have it.

Like Fission_Mailed said don't let what's being said here put you off, halls are still one of the best experiences of uni.

You guys better be right! Or I will come after you demanding my £4k, well the government's £4k, back :P

How much does it cost? Couldnt be bothered to sign up but it looks nice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending