The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Stirling Uni: Lyon Crescent OR Alanrange???

Hi! I have to select between Alanrange and Lyon Crescent Accommodation. The Accommodation officer explained that Alanrange is a mixed sex residence and I will have a wash hand basin in my bedroom but I will require to share the bathrooms, shower rooms :frown: and all other social areas of Alangrange with 44 other students. But If I prefer an all female house they can offer me a room in Lyon Crescent.
What you advise???:confused: :woo:
Reply 1
I think I'd personally enjoy living in Alangrange more.

There's more chance of getting on with at least someone in Alangrange.
I wouldn't move into Lyon Crescent unless I knew beforehand who I'd be living with.
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
aishok
Hi! I have to select between Alanrange and Lyon Crescent Accommodation. The Accommodation officer explained that Alanrange is a mixed sex residence and I will have a wash hand basin in my bedroom but I will require to share the bathrooms, shower rooms :frown: and all other social areas of Alangrange with 44 other students. But If I prefer an all female house they can offer me a room in Lyon Crescent.

If you would prefer to live with all girls, go for Lyon Crescent. The shared showers aren't that bad - I've rarely seen more than 5 or 6 people per shower (and by that I don't mean all at once - they're just single showers in lockable rooms) and they're cleaned by a cleaning team regularily. The sad fact is, you'll be sharing a shower no matter where you go in uni accommodation if you can't get into Andrew Stewart Halls.
Reply 3
marieisfab
If you would prefer to live with all girls, go for Lyon Crescent. The shared showers aren't that bad - I've rarely seen more than 5 or 6 people per shower (and by that I don't mean all at once - they're just single showers in lockable rooms) and they're cleaned by a cleaning team regularily. The sad fact is, you'll be sharing a shower no matter where you go in uni accommodation if you can't get into Andrew Stewart Halls.

What about other living conditions? Are there similar?
And Is it far from Lyon Crescent to the University? I`ll not have a car:rolleyes:
Reply 4
aishok
What about other living conditions? Are there similar?
And Is it far from Lyon Crescent to the University? I`ll not have a car:rolleyes:

Lyon Crescent is in Bridge of Allan, which is five minutes from the Uni on the bus, or a 15-20 minute walk. To get to Stirling itself it's a 15 minute bus journey. Bus prices are pretty fair if you show your student card, and you can get week and month passes which can be used between the uni, Stirling and Bridge of Allan.

University accommodation is all the same to be honest -it just depends on when the place was last updated. They're all fairly old fashioned and a bit scabby, but Stirling's accommodation is cheaper than a vast majority of other uni's accommodation.
I lived in Alangrange last year, its ok....
Most of the students are from China, so forget about good social life if you are not. They mostly stay in their rooms chatting on facebook/skype.
As for sharing showers/kitchens it depends on how lucky you are. The garbage was never taken out in my kitchen and some students dont know how to flush a toilet!

On the plus side, Alangrange is almost on campus and its all postgrads so it tends to be quiet and good for studying. Personally, I wish I lived in town in private accommodation, which is cheaper and better overall value.
Reply 6
aishok

:woo: Aaah! Oh I would go for Lyon Crescent, definately. I have had the best time of my life there. I loved that it was just normal houses and you only have 4 other people to live with and 2 bathrooms. It is really absolutely great living there! :woo:
hey.....

even i have the same problem...i had apply for John Forty's Court for female accommodadtion, they are saying they can not give me that, were as they are offering me Polwarth House or Lyon Crescent, and am confused in this.....plz help!!!
Reply 8
Original post by -Neon-
I think I'd personally enjoy living in Alangrange more.

There's more chance of getting on with at least someone in Alangrange.
I wouldn't move into Lyon Crescent unless I knew beforehand who I'd be living with.

Can you please elaborate about Alangrange accomodation more? I and 3 of my friends got the standard room in Alangrange but there's no proper explanations or good pictures to explore. Can you help me get a picture of the accomodation in my mind?
Can anyone help me picturize - how living in Alangrange would be? I got the standard room there, just dont have any pictures to look onto yet.

Quick Reply

Latest