The Student Room Group

Legal alternative to mace or pepper spray?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Holly Hiskey
It was in London, on a well lit street with lots of people around.

Yes, I know, I was joking.
Original post by booger
If you're carrying it with the intention of hurting someone then its very not legal. It is an item intended to be used as an offensive weapon. If you're carrying salt water then its obviously not for drinking so what legitimate reason do you have for carrying it? I'm talking about shear theory here but you're committing a crime. For the police proving that would be somewhat harder unless you said the wrong thing if its a sports bottle. If its a spray bottle, the kind used for house plants or similar then could be argued that you're carrying a firearm in the meaning of section 5 firearms act; "any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing." Even as a sports bottle it could be argued at the very least you're carrying an offensive weapon if not a firearm.

Maglite, it could be used to smack someone round the head but at the same time its also very useful for illuminating dark places. Therefore it is not an intended offensive weapon provided that you don't intend to hit anyone with it. How ever if you had it for the purpose of illuminating dark places and you were attacked then you could use it and claim instant arming. How ever again you're running the risk, especially if you don't know how to use such a weapon of having it removed from you and used against you. Remember as well you may only use reasonable force and its a legally complicated area. Remember if the force used is deemed to be unreasonable then you're looking at arrest and being charged with assault, most likely assault occasioning actual bodily harm maybe even GBH if you don't hit where you intended and really hurt the person.

Stoppa red et al is pretty above board. It was considered a grey area until recently. We now have a bit more case law to go on. How ever using it is legally more complex. If you use force against another the use of that force has to be lawful. I suggest you have a look at section 3 criminal law act which is the provision for use of reasonable force in this country, in relation to both this and the maglite. Police and civilians alike can use this legislation. If you were to use it unlawfully, and it was not used proportionately you'd be looking at being arrested and charged with assault and criminal damage.

I'd recommend a personal attack alarm. They make a hell of a noise and most would be robbers hate them because they are well aware that there could now be a lot of witnesses.

If you feel threatened by someone, phone the police. usually the blue lights send neer do wells scattering.

Original post by sam.hunton
Remember carrying any object with the intent to use it as a weapon is a criminal offence.

Thanks guys- I don't want to actually carry a weapon, it's just that given that I'm a 5ft 2 girl I'd like some way to know that I'm ok, especially given that I've hurt my foot and back, meaning that running isn't really an option. Also calling the police probably wouldn't have worked given that the guy was easily within earshot and it all happened in the space of a minute or two. However, the rape alarm is probably a good idea since those things are LOUD so I'll probably invest!
Hire me. I will be your protector.

/whiteknight.
Original post by Anonymous-
Yes, I know, I was joking.

Hilarious
I wouldn't hope for much. The self defence laws are ridiculous in this country and you can only use on an attacker what is deemed "reasonable" to carry outdoors - for example, even though it is legal to carry a knife under 3 inches you cannot use it if attacked. You can't even squirt a Jif Lemon in their eyes. You can only really use keys or coins, or even a legal self-defence spray like Stoppared which isn't that great to be honest.
Reply 45
Just order a handheld taser off ebay.

1. it will drop him meaning he can be detained until police arrive.
2. its more effective than spray. he can still run off whilst sprayed.
3. 9/10 they get through customs.
4. the majority of taxi drivers in built up cities are starting to use them against people who get violent or very aggressive after a night out.
5. its more discreet and not flammable. You could hide it up your sleeve in area's you feel threatened.
Hilarious

Yes, it was hilarious. The amount of people that actually started talking about Reading and completely disregarded your post. I can go to bed and sleep well tonight.
Reply 47
personally I couldn't give two hoots for the law.

Its a stupid system and I'd rather do time than get assaulted.

I follow the old saying of Malcolm X.

" By any means necessary ".

Why should we show the criminals any respect when they don't show the victim any. If I saw the attack the victim just described I would beat the living hell out of the person committing the offence regardless of the consequences.

If I was PM that's the first law I'd change along with scrapping human rights for criminals.
Original post by Threepigs
Hire me. I will be your protector.

/whiteknight.

Sorry to be completely off-topic, but where's your sig from?
It's really creepy...
Original post by jb9191

Why should we show the criminals any respect when they don't show the victim any. If I saw the attack the victim just described I would beat the living hell out of the person committing the offence regardless of the consequences.

If I was PM that's the first law I'd change along with scrapping human rights for criminals.

Well I agree with what you say at first. I think a good quote is "I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six" meaning it's better to break the law and go to court than end up dead (or at least badly injured). I'm willing to do anything to an attacker however I realise that I may end up incriminating myself. The thing is it depends on how far you go. If you use a criminal weapon such as a Jif Lemon or a can of Lynx and spray them in the eyes whilst you run for it, they're hardly going to go the police about it because they'd then have to say that they were trying to attack you in the first place. However if you stab them in self defence then you doing that is worse than them mugging you, at least in the eyes of the law, and you'll likely face charges.
Thanks guys- I don't want to actually carry a weapon, it's just that given that I'm a 5ft 2 girl I'd like some way to know that I'm ok, especially given that I've hurt my foot and back, meaning that running isn't really an option. Also calling the police probably wouldn't have worked given that the guy was easily within earshot and it all happened in the space of a minute or two. However, the rape alarm is probably a good idea since those things are LOUD so I'll probably invest!
http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/deep-heat-spray-150ml.html.
Original post by jb9191

If I was physically capable of it I would have done haha. It was also annoying because about 3 people saw it and were close enough to react but no-one did. W******

Original post by Claire_Spoon
Sorry to be completely off-topic, but where's your sig from?
It's really creepy...

I swear every thread he posts on someone asks that question haha. Also don't watch the full video, it's horrible!
Reply 52
Original post by sam.hunton
Remember carrying any object with the intent to use it as a weapon is a criminal offence.

Oh shutup you hippy. :angry:

I swear every thread he posts on someone asks that question haha. Also don't watch the full video, it's horrible!

Hah sorry, it looks really scary but I'm intrigued to know where it's from. :tongue:
Original post by Claire_Spoon
Hah sorry, it looks really scary but I'm intrigued to know where it's from. :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z6xGU2_g9s
That's not strictly true.
Original post by sleekchic
That's not strictly true.

The act of damage to the person outweighs the attempted mugging. It's likely that both will face charges although the charges against the person using self-defence will justify a harsher punishment. Personally I think it's a joke.

I'm right at the part where she is about to pull back the covers, but am too scared to continue. What actually happens?
Original post by booger
If you're carrying it with the intention of hurting someone then its very not legal. It is an item intended to be used as an offensive weapon. If you're carrying salt water then its obviously not for drinking so what legitimate reason do you have for carrying it? I'm talking about shear theory here but you're committing a crime. For the police proving that would be somewhat harder unless you said the wrong thing if its a sports bottle. If its a spray bottle, the kind used for house plants or similar then could be argued that you're carrying a firearm in the meaning of section 5 firearms act; "any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing." Even as a sports bottle it could be argued at the very least you're carrying an offensive weapon if not a firearm.

Maglite, it could be used to smack someone round the head but at the same time its also very useful for illuminating dark places. Therefore it is not an intended offensive weapon provided that you don't intend to hit anyone with it. How ever if you had it for the purpose of illuminating dark places and you were attacked then you could use it and claim instant arming. How ever again you're running the risk, especially if you don't know how to use such a weapon of having it removed from you and used against you. Remember as well you may only use reasonable force and its a legally complicated area. Remember if the force used is deemed to be unreasonable then you're looking at arrest and being charged with assault, most likely assault occasioning actual bodily harm maybe even GBH if you don't hit where you intended and really hurt the person.

Stoppa red et al is pretty above board. It was considered a grey area until recently. We now have a bit more case law to go on. How ever using it is legally more complex. If you use force against another the use of that force has to be lawful. I suggest you have a look at section 3 criminal law act which is the provision for use of reasonable force in this country, in relation to both this and the maglite. Police and civilians alike can use this legislation. If you were to use it unlawfully, and it was not used proportionately you'd be looking at being arrested and charged with assault and criminal damage.

:rofl: Britain.

I don't think these are legal anyway.. :ahee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending