The Student Room Group

Should I do Spanish or Geography for A level?

I'm currently in year 11 and I need to fill in this form about sixth form options by next Friday. I have already picked Maths, Chemistry and Biology. However, I would also like to do either Spanish or Geography (I might drop it at AS, depending on how well I do).

I don't really know what I want to be in the future. Leaning more towards something medicine-related, that's why Biology and Chemistry are there. Maths is there because I heard universities like Maths and I like Maths anyway, so why not. But what would be more useful and look better on my CV and/or university application: Geography or Spanish? I'm good at both. I also enjoy learning both subjects, that's why it's so hard for me to decide.

If someone who is doing/has done either subject help me decide, it would be well appreciated :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I've heard that Geography at sixth form is really enjoyable, so that's what I would go for. Plus I think it's quite good to know about the world - you can always learn spanish later on in life if you want to pick it up again, or just do some in your spare time if you miss it that much.
Reply 2
geography is supposed to be the most employable degree subject, so I imagine it looks good at a-level too. Plus if its the new exam its got a really good syllabus.
Doesn't having a second language give you an advantage in regards to getting into uni? I was stuck between German and Geography, and went with the latter. Not regretting it at the moment, was told yesterday that we're possibly going to Iceland for a week for our course.
Original post by Technicalities
Doesn't having a second language give you an advantage in regards to getting into uni? I was stuck between German and Geography, and went with the latter. Not regretting it at the moment, was told yesterday that we're possibly going to Iceland for a week for our course.

That's what I was thinking at first so I was leaning towards Spanish. But then I realised how much of a female dog the listening will be, because it's already hard for me to comprehend at GCSE level :s-smilie:

Original post by Zandra25
geography is supposed to be the most employable degree subject, so I imagine it looks good at a-level too. Plus if its the new exam its got a really good syllabus.

Oh really? Where did you get that information from? I might pick Geography then. At the moment i'm thinking of choosing Geography :smile:
Reply 5
Personally, i'd 100% go with Spanish :smile:
Knowing a language to a higher level is an undoubted advantage and would be the a preference to most universitys as it demonstrates such a different skill. Plus Spanish is very widely spoken and would be of a greater advantage in general life. Geography isn't a bad level by any means, it depends on what the uni's you are considering would prefer really - email admissions tutors if you're really unsure. Realistically, depending on your skill level you'd be more likely to get a higher grade in Geography.
Finally, go with whichever you prefer - you'll have to sit there and learn it!
Reply 6
Original post by InadequateJusticex
That's what I was thinking at first so I was leaning towards Spanish. But then I realised how much of a female dog the listening will be, because it's already hard for me to comprehend at GCSE level :s-smilie:

Oh really? Where did you get that information from? I might pick Geography then. At the moment i'm thinking of choosing Geography :smile:

I just thought about the medicine bit of your post, geography is more practical as a subject and may be better for getting into Uni's but having another language would be really useful for medicine. It would open up a lot of opportunities if you take a gap year- there a lot of foreign placements you can take. However, there are a lot of courses you can take after school to learn Spanish, whereas I can't think of an alternative for a-level geography. Unless languages are something you are better at and more interested in than geography maybe geography is the better option (as someone who did a-level geography but who is awful at languages and am now going to Italy to learn Italian.) Basically you want to balance what you might need in the future with the subjects you are best at and most interested in. Personally I would say the latter is most important.

Quick Reply

Latest