The Student Room Group

GCSE choices ( help!!)

hi! i'm in year 9 and i have to choose my options very soon (probs should have done this earlier) but i'm a really struggling with my option choices. right now, i want to be a doctor but what if i want to be a engineer but because i didn't take DT i won't be able too! i also don't know whether to take geo or history cause the teachers in that subject at my school are sooo bad and make me hate it so i was wondering if someone could tell me about how those GCSE's are atm!
my options draft are:
maths, english, bio, chem, rs, history???, fnu and french! thank you, xx
Original post by sifj
hi! i'm in year 9 and i have to choose my options very soon (probs should have done this earlier) but i'm a really struggling with my option choices. right now, i want to be a doctor but what if i want to be a engineer but because i didn't take DT i won't be able too! i also don't know whether to take geo or history cause the teachers in that subject at my school are sooo bad and make me hate it so i was wondering if someone could tell me about how those GCSE's are atm!
my options draft are:

Hi @sifj

I completely understand your stress. When I was choosing my options, I had a very broad idea of what I wanted to go into, but I had a lot of ideas flying around my head.

I picked a broad range of ‘academic’ subjects such as History, Geography, Spanish, etc. However, I was not really interested in creative subjects, so it was easier for me to choose those options.

I think for either medicine or engineering, having GCSEs in maths, physics, biology, and chemistry will give you a great solid foundation to pursue A-Levels in those subjects. If your school offers triple science, I think that would be a good option. If you want to do DT, too, then you have the scope to do so. But you don't need DT to do engineering.

I would definitely talk to your teachers about this too.

Hope some of this helps!

Good luck:smile:

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @sifj

I completely understand your stress. When I was choosing my options, I had a very broad idea of what I wanted to go into, but I had a lot of ideas flying around my head.

I picked a broad range of ‘academic’ subjects such as History, Geography, Spanish, etc. However, I was not really interested in creative subjects, so it was easier for me to choose those options.

I think for either medicine or engineering, having GCSEs in maths, physics, biology, and chemistry will give you a great solid foundation to pursue A-Levels in those subjects. If your school offers triple science, I think that would be a good option. If you want to do DT, too, then you have the scope to do so. But you don't need DT to do engineering.

Hope some of this helps!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

thank you so much, you have been so helpful!
Reply 3
Hi @sifj

Hope some of this helps!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

hey you seem like you know a lot about options ..
i have already choose mine but would like to know if it is apt for medicine in future
these are my options

Maths higher
Triple science higher
Geography
History
English lang
English lit
Computer Science
Religious Studies (It is compulsory as i go to a catholic school)
(edited 2 months ago)
hi,
I did history and French GCSE and absolutely loved them, currently doing both at A-Level! if you've got any questions, please ask :smile:
Original post by Alm_xo
hey you see like you know a lot about options ..
i have already choose mine but would like to know if it is apt for medicine in future
these are my options

Maths higher
Triple science higher
Geography
History
English lang
English lit
Computer Science

Hi @Alm_xo

Just following on from Anastasia's post, I think your key core subjects of maths and triple science will put you in a good position to move onto medicine in the future. Your choices for history and geography are also great to help with essay writing and research elements, which will also build up some great skills that you can put towards medicine in the future.

So long as you are also happy with your choices and are looking forward to studying them, I think you'll make a great start for your future career!

Best of luck! 🙂
Emily
Student Rep at BCU
Reply 6
Hi @Alm_xo

Just following on from Anastasia's post, I think your key core subjects of maths and triple science will put you in a good position to move onto medicine in the future. Your choices for history and geography are also great to help with essay writing and research elements, which will also build up some great skills that you can put towards medicine in the future.

So long as you are also happy with your choices and are looking forward to studying them, I think you'll make a great start for your future career!

Best of luck! 🙂
Emily
Student Rep at BCU

Thank You <3
Reply 7
Original post by Alm_xo
hey you seem like you know a lot about options ..
these are my options

Maths higher
Triple science higher
Geography
History
English lang
English lit
Computer Science

hi, sorry i know i'm not the person you were replying to, but as a y13 who's applied to medicine this year and has received an offer,
those options are great, as long as you're doing higher maths, and at least combined science (though triple will probably help with the transition to a-level) you'll be completely fine. for your other subjects there aren't necessarily any requirements, apart from the compulsory ones like english, as long as you're sure you've chosen the subjects that you enjoy the most & that you're confident you can do well in them!

a lot of med schools these days count in your gcses and score the top however many grades to shortlist for interview so you'll give yourself a good advantage if you do as well as possible in your gcses! but yes higher maths and combined/triple science are like the minimum sort of requirements
Reply 8
Original post by hpxna
hi, sorry i know i'm not the person you were replying to, but as a y13 who's applied to medicine this year and has received an offer,
those options are great, as long as you're doing higher maths, and at least combined science (though triple will probably help with the transition to a-level) you'll be completely fine. for your other subjects there aren't necessarily any requirements, apart from the compulsory ones like english, as long as you're sure you've chosen the subjects that you enjoy the most & that you're confident you can do well in them!

a lot of med schools these days count in your gcses and score the top however many grades to shortlist for interview so you'll give yourself a good advantage if you do as well as possible in your gcses! but yes higher maths and combined/triple science are like the minimum sort of requirements

Thank you , having one more person confirming my choices , make me relaxed as I could have gotten a bad combination of subjects.Thanks
I think I want to do Bio , Chem for sure and maybe 3rd option maths or psychology for a levels
what did u do for a levels? x
Reply 9
Original post by Alm_xo
Thank you , having one more person confirming my choices , make me relaxed as I could have gotten a bad combination of subjects.Thanks
I think I want to do Bio , Chem for sure and maybe 3rd option maths or psychology for a levels
what did u do for a levels? x

your subjects are great! i did all of those subjects at GCSE apart from computer science, and they were fantastic! geog and history were some of my favs
I picked bio chem maths & spanish for my a-levels, it's been very tough, i really don't recommend doing 4 a-levels, especially for medicine
to maximise your options for med schools, bio and chem are the best options as you've said you plan on doing.
the third one doesn't matter at all, you don't even need to choose a stem one like maths/psych really, i regret doing maths only because i wish i did bio chem and spanish as 3 subjects, but anyways
it is still early to think about it now, i only really started thinking about my a-levels in january of y11, but i didn't know completely until results day, where i made my final choice.
for your 3rd subject i will recommend that you choose the subject that you're the best at and that you enjoy the most, you'll want something that you can hopefully get the best grade possible in!
if you're not 100% set on medicine, doing something like maths will probably give you more opportunities for other degrees if you ever change your mind, but if you know medicine is what you want to do, then i would say just think about choosing the subject you'll do the best in!
Reply 10
Original post by hpxna
your subjects are great! i did all of those subjects at GCSE apart from computer science, and they were fantastic! geog and history were some of my favs
I picked bio chem maths & spanish for my a-levels, it's been very tough, i really don't recommend doing 4 a-levels, especially for medicine
to maximise your options for med schools, bio and chem are the best options as you've said you plan on doing.
the third one doesn't matter at all, you don't even need to choose a stem one like maths/psych really, i regret doing maths only because i wish i did bio chem and spanish as 3 subjects, but anyways
it is still early to think about it now, i only really started thinking about my a-levels in january of y11, but i didn't know completely until results day, where i made my final choice.
for your 3rd subject i will recommend that you choose the subject that you're the best at and that you enjoy the most, you'll want something that you can hopefully get the best grade possible in!
if you're not 100% set on medicine, doing something like maths will probably give you more opportunities for other degrees if you ever change your mind, but if you know medicine is what you want to do, then i would say just think about choosing the subject you'll do the best in!

i hate doing maths , but when I understand the topic its easy but its not something I enjoy doing
but if it helps me get into a good uni , I am willing to do so but a levels maths are hectic and too much
Original post by sifj
my options draft are:

for history, look at what you cover. the topics you learn make a BIG difference to how you feel in class, like i choose history and i despised it because i found the topics they choose boring whereas other schools did much more intriguing topics in history.

i also did geography, geography can be naturally easy to those, especially if you’re good at biology, it really helps. for geography and history you have to write a lot though and DT is kind of the opposite.

i did mainly all essay based GCSE options and i want to be an engineer, as along as you’ve got the sciences and maths, they should take you for engineering DEPENDING on what you want to do after GCSE! good luck though!

Quick Reply

Latest