The Student Room Group

British pupils taught sharia way to cut thieves hands off

Scroll to see replies

Original post by she
So a diagram of where to cut is better than how to cut? Surely both are bad, because it implies it's perfectly ok to think that this is what you should do to a thief. And yes the fill in the blanks questions worried me too because they indicate that the koran should be taken literally, meaning the diagrams of cuts should be taken literally too.

What I'm trying to get to is that, I don't see the problem of teaching children that in Sharia law such are the consequences of when you steal, as this is a part of their culture. It also extends to other laws, one that immediately springs to mind is that regarding public affection; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7673046.stm perhaps an overreaction in Britian but not there. This is not indoctrinating them, this is just an awareness of their culture.

The world is not black and white and obviously they will have to take their law literally if they go back to saudi or wherever, but does that mean they shouldn't understand their society because they are in England? As long as they are aware of the rules for different societies, what is the problem?
Reply 41
Original post by specialk_698
What I'm trying to get to is that, I don't see the problem of teaching children that in Sharia law such are the consequences of when you steal, as this is a part of their culture. It also extends to other laws, one that immediately springs to mind is that regarding public affection; http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7673046.stm perhaps an overreaction in Britian but not there. This is not indoctrinating them, this is just an awareness of their culture.

The world is not black and white and obviously they will have to take their law literally if they go back to saudi or wherever, but does that mean they shouldn't understand their society because they are in England? As long as they are aware of the rules for different societies, what is the problem?

There is a difference between teaching that a cultural/religious law states that such will happen if such a crime is a committed and showing a diagram of where amputations should take place. There is a difference between teaching homosexuals should be executed and discussions of which methods of execution to use.

It's also not ok to teach that all other religions and cultures are wrong, and that non-whatever religion are various types of animals.

Now I'm all for cultural relativism, but there do have to be some limits, and it doesn't mean that we should think and tolerate everything a different culture does. All countries would have their limits. I'm sure Saudi Arabia would set certain limits upon my cultural expressions should I live there, no? And I'm sure Saudi Arabia has a problem with the culture and laws in the UK. Perhaps they should be more culturally tolerant and relative?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by No Man
Is it just me, or have all of the recant dramatic/the world is going to end news threads here had the Daily Mail as their source? :rolleyes:

The daily mail isn't the source here. It's actually the BBC. The daily mail (and the independant) reported on the BCC panorama show.
Original post by she
There is a difference between teaching that a cultural/religious law states that such will happen if such a crime is a committed and showing a diagram of where amputations should take place. There is a difference between teaching homosexuals should be executed and discussions of which methods of execution to use.

It's also not ok to teach that all other religions and cultures are wrong, and that non-whatever religion are various types of animals.

Now I'm all for cultural relativism, but there do have to be some limits, and it doesn't mean that we should think and tolerate everything a different culture does. All countries would have their limits. I'm sure Saudi Arabia would set certain limits upon my cultural expressions should I live there, no? And I'm sure Saudi Arabia has a problem with the culture and laws in the UK. Perhaps they should be more culturally tolerant and relative?

Yeah, I said in a previous post, that I was worried about how far they were going and the segregation & elitism certain teachings were cultivating; however for the most part, they were learning about parts of their culture that do exist today.

Going back to the punishments for crimes, sometimes a picture spreaks a 1000 words but in this case, how else would you show that in sharia law, you hand is cut or leg is cut off? I think the picture is almost meaningless, there is no blood, the hand is not even connected to a body, take the picture out of the book and wouldn't even be able to infer anything, as you can see it depends greatly on how the teacher annotates it.

And you know what, yeah if you did go to Saudi you whould have limits on your 'expression'..why? because that's the whole point of multiculturalism, to integrate into a new society, and the failure of this is the exact reason why people like Angela Merkel have said multiculturalism has failed.

I find most of sharia law abhorrent but if you don't tolerate their customs, how can you them expect to tolerate yours?
HA HA HA

In History classes British student were taught how to kill your wife if she didn't give birth to your son. Thats even worse than Sharia Law.
Original post by she
The daily mail isn't the source here. It's actually the BBC. The daily mail (and the independant) reported on the BCC panorama show.

Panorama, the most biased show ever.

They just want to give muslims a bad reputation. They mislead viewers with the editing of they're programmes. And how on earth are you going to deal with serious issues in a 30 minute programme?
This was reported on Panorama [BBC] a few days ago (iPlayer link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00w8kwz/Panorama_British_Schools_Islamic_Rules/), so don't attack him simply for reading the Daily Mail. It's just as sloppy thinking to assume that whatever is in the DM is ipso facto wrong as to assume that it's ipso facto correct; they may have a political agenda that many of us find troublesome, but that doesn't mean that they produce nothing but fiction.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Blah1Blah1Blah
Hate filled religion? You sound angry. Racist ****.

are you thick or did your mum drop you on head when you was young? MUSLIM AINT A RACE BUT THEN THAT WOULDNT SUIT YOUR ANTI WESTERN AGENDA WOULD IT?
Reply 48
Original post by No Man
Is it just me, or have all of the recant dramatic/the world is going to end news threads here had the Daily Mail as their source? :rolleyes:

is it me or do people on here cum in their pants when they get to say 'DAILY FAILLLLLL LOLZLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ'
I always say "when in rome", so if this exists it must be shut down NOW. The whole idea of s. law is disgraceful.
Reply 50
Original post by 'James Hunt'
Panorama, the most biased show ever.

They just want to give muslims a bad reputation. They mislead viewers with the editing of they're programmes. And how on earth are you going to deal with serious issues in a 30 minute programme?

tsr
the most biased forum ever
they just want to give normal english people a bad reputation
Reply 51
Yeah, I said in a previous post, that I was worried about how far they were going and the segregation & elitism certain teachings were cultivating; however for the most part, they were learning about parts of their culture that do exist today.

Going back to the punishments for crimes, sometimes a picture spreaks a 1000 words but in this case, how else would you show that in sharia law, you hand is cut or leg is cut off? I think the picture is almost meaningless, there is no blood, the hand is not even connected to a body, take the picture out of the book and wouldn't even be able to infer anything, as you can see it depends greatly on how the teacher annotates it.

And you know what, yeah if you did go to Saudi you whould have limits on your 'expression'..why? because that's the whole point of multiculturalism, to integrate into a new society, and the failure of this is the exact reason why people like Angela Merkel have said multiculturalism has failed.

I find most of sharia law abhorrent but if you don't tolerate their customs, how can you them expect to tolerate yours?

are you seriously saying we should tolerate sharia law cos its a 'muslim custom'? Why dont we just go the whole way and start burning witches again? You'd probably be first in the queue to burn and drown them.
Original post by Ray Barone
oh well thats a shame
most posters on here probably look like mika so i wont be losin no sleep over it
liberal mugs

"Liberals got women the right to vote. Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote. Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty. Liberals ended segregation. Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. Liberals created Medicare. Liberals passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act. What did Conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things...every one! So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, 'Liberal,' as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won't work, Senator, because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor."
-- Matt Santos, The West Wing

On behalf of all liberals, I thank you for the compliment. :smile:

EDIT: And Mika's pretty hot so....cheers again. (You must really love us)
(edited 13 years ago)
are you seriously saying we should tolerate sharia law cos its a 'muslim custom'? Why dont we just go the whole way and start burning witches again? You'd probably be first in the queue to burn and drown them.

haha WOW, I'm saying if you're in whoevers country you should respect their customs, otherwise you might end up in jail or worse dead!

Maybe you would see where I'm coming from, if you actually bothered to read my post properly.

Here's something for you to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiculturalism
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 54
haha WOW, I'm saying if you're in whoevers country you should respect their customs, otherwise you might end up in jail or worse dead!

Maybe you would see where I'm coming from, if you actually bothered to read my post properly.

Here's something for you to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiculturalism

you liberals really are thick or just have selective blindness
THEY dont respect OUR customs over here so why the **** should they be allowed to stay? Are you so desperate to be seen as tolerant that you'll sell britain out for the sake of scum who want to blow us all up? Maybe we should have hug a muslim day, people like you could go down to the asian ghettos and see if you come out in 1 piece.:mad:
THEY dont respect OUR customs over here so why the **** should they be allowed to stay? Are you so desperate to be seen as tolerant that you'll sell britain out for the sake of scum who want to blow us all up? Maybe we should have hug a muslim day, people like you could go down to the asian ghettos and see if you come out in 1 piece.:mad:

Why are you so intent on hating muslims, yeah sure a few might not respect our customs but since when did two wrongs make a right?

Treat people how you want to be treated yourself and I'm sure your life will be a less angry one at least.

What is the real root of all your anger? I don't want to come across as some sort of condesending knobhead but if you're going acting out of revenge for some wrong somewhere, just remember: Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves. Confucius
Forget all this Daily Fail etc *******s, this was reported by Panorama i.e. the BBC.

If they're British then they have every right to stay here.

And going by your surname, I think you want to ease down on the 'OUR customs' bull.

Last Name: Barone
Italian: from the Germanic personal name Baro, or to a lesser extent the title barone ‘baron’, both derivatives of an unattested word bara- ‘free man’

Your the son of Italian migrants. More ironically your name derives from the word 'bara' meaning free-man and freedom is something your obviously against.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 58
what you gonna do about it pal? sweet **** all thats what

I guess not everybody loves Raymond.
Reply 59
Original post by 'James Hunt'
If they're British then they have every right to stay here.

And going by your surname, I think you want to ease down on the 'OUR customs' bull.

Last Name: Barone
Italian: from the Germanic personal name Baro, or to a lesser extent the title barone ‘baron’, both derivatives of an unattested word bara- ‘free man’

Your the son of Italian migrants. More ironically your name derives from the word 'bara' meaning free-man and freedom is something your obviously against.

dear me, you love to think youre so clever dont you? First off my names from a popular sitcom, me I'm 100% english born and bred. Second, the extremist muslims will NEVER be british, no matter how many times liberals like you scream and stamp your feet about it. Do you seriously think that people like the poppy burners deserve to live here? If so, then maybe you should be sent on the next boat out too, hopefully into shark infested waters.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending