The Student Room Group

Switching A-Level subjects

Hi, So I’m doing my a levels and I wanted to switch so I talked to my head of year. However, I was told it’s not possible anymore due to this government census thing? I wanted to know if that’s completely true or if there’s any other way as I’m only in year 12 so it’s not like I’ve been entered for exams yet. I’m doing computing and I really hate it and genuinely think I won’t pass if I keep doing it.
Reply 1
My daughter switched subjects in January. It wasn't an easy decision and we did our research first. She knew what she wanted to change too. How much contents had been taught so far (from Sept to Jan) and how ling it would take her to catch up (basing it on worse case and best case using her home study, time when she has no lessons and after school). She wanted to swap as she was not enjoying or progressing in a subject and the one she swapped to actually benefitted her better for what she'd like to study at Uni. We outlined to the 6th Form Head our commitment as well as hers and that if she continued with the other subject she would not do well. They agreed, it took her just over 2 weeks to get upstraight and in her first mock she scored the highest on one exam. So it goes to show you can swap but the earlier the better and depends on what subject from and to (be more difficult with a BTEC maybe). Good luck hope you can get it sorted.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MedMum71
My daughter switched subjects in January. It wasn't an easy decision and we did our research first. She knew what she wanted to change too. How much contents had been taught so far (from Sept to Jan) and how ling it would take her to catch up (basing it on worse case and best case using her home study, time when she has no lessons and after school). She wanted to swap as she was not enjoying or progressing in a subject and the one she swapped to actually benefitted her better for what she'd like to study at Uni. We outlined to the 6th Form Head our commitment as well as hers and that if she continued with the other subject she would not do well. They agreed, it took her just over 2 weeks to get upstraight and in her first mock she scored the highest on one exam. So it goes to show you can swap but the earlier the better and depends on what subject from and to (be more difficult with a BTEC maybe). Good luck hope you can get it sorted.

Thank you so much. I wanted to switch to Business and a lot of it’s similar to GCSE so I think I’d be able to catch up. Did anyone mention the census thing to you? Do you know what it is?
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alli_18
Thank you so much. I wanted to switch to Business and a lot of it’s similar to GCSE so I think I’d be able to catch up. Did anyone mention the census thing to you? Do you know what it is?

My daughter switched from Biology to Sociology (which overlaps her other two subjects really well, psychology and geography so she found it easy to get to grips with the subject) and they never mentioned the School Census. I believe this is a return sent off about the pupils in the school including info like free school meals, ethnicity, incase etc I can't see how this relates to subjects being taken. I think I would speak to them and fully understand their concerns. Ensure you have done your home woek on the subject you want to switch to, how long you believe it will take to catch up, how you will still focus on your other subjects as well so they don't fall behind. Good Luck.

Quick Reply

Latest