The Student Room Group

Top Army Chief Warns of Britons Facing Draft in Potential UK-Russia Conflict

British men and women should be prepared for a “whole-of-nation undertaking” if Nato goes to war with Russia, warns the head of the British army (Original title in article).

PM seems to disagreeing to some extent here though

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/uk-going-to-war-russia-nato-conscription-age-b2484473.html
I feel these rumours might be running riot a bit, I should point out that Gen Sanders didn't mention draft at all and stated he was opposed to conscription (like almost all commanders) - he's talking of national effort in more general terms, not forcing people into combat. He's also talking about the potential of the next 20 odd years, not this summer. I'm certainly no expert, but I don't think the UK militaries weaknesses are the sort you can throw 20 odd thousand unwilling people at expect a drastic improvement.

That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if Sanders was put on gardening leave soon with comments like this.
It seems fairly on obvious that if we went to war with Russia they’d need to be some kind of wider mobilisation with support activities. I don’t think I’m falling off my chair at that one.
Original post by StriderHort
I feel these rumours might be running riot a bit, I should point out that Gen Sanders didn't mention draft at all and stated he was opposed to conscription (like almost all commanders) - he's talking of national effort in more general terms, not forcing people into combat. He's also talking about the potential of the next 20 odd years, not this summer. I'm certainly no expert, but I don't think the UK militaries weaknesses are the sort you can throw 20 odd thousand unwilling people at expect a drastic improvement.

That said, I wouldn't be too surprised if Sanders was put on gardening leave soon with comments like this.

I personally don’t think that this kind of thing will happen in the first place (Britons facing call-up to fight in the armed forces if UK goes to war with Russia). I mean if it does happen then I won’t do it personally.

Maybe I’m being naive though.
Original post by Talkative Toad
I personally don’t think that this kind of thing will happen in the first place (Britons facing call-up to fight in the armed forces if UK goes to war with Russia). I mean if it does happen then I won’t do it personally.

Maybe I’m being naive though.

Possible I'm also naive but me neither, we like to see ourselves as a pretty high tech and well trained force so hard to see where unwilling conscripts would effectively fit in combat tbh. For things to have got to that point I think we'd have to pretty much already be in the middle of WW3 with significant losses and the idea of life as normal was already out the window whether you fought or not.

I suspect what the former and departing Generals are getting at is that these are the sort of uncomfortable but extreme questions that have to asked if the Government & MoD don't put more resources in to maintain the forces, things seem to have been pretty grim for them for a long time in terms of wages and procurement.
Possible I'm also naive but me neither, we like to see ourselves as a pretty high tech and well trained force so hard to see where unwilling conscripts would effectively fit in combat tbh. For things to have got to that point I think we'd have to pretty much already be in the middle of WW3 with significant losses and the idea of life as normal was already out the window whether you fought or not.

I suspect what the former and departing Generals are getting at is that these are the sort of uncomfortable but extreme questions that have to asked if the Government & MoD don't put more resources in to maintain the forces, things seem to have been pretty grim for them for a long time in terms of wages and procurement.

That’s true
I really doubt this. If there were a NATO-Russia war, I really can't see it lasting long enough for mass conscription to be worth it. Training completely inexperienced recruits into even the most basic viable soldiers will take at least a year or so, and that's assuming all the organisation and equipment provision can all just be easily scaled up, which is unlikely. By that point, there'll either have been a ceasefire, an escalation to nuclear weapons, or a settling in to a lower intensity conflict - and in any of those cases, a mass army won't really be necessary.
I was talking to my friend about this the other day, and if the call went out I think I would answer it.
Original post by CatusStarbright
I was talking to my friend about this the other day, and if the call went out I think I would answer it.

The call to do what exactly though? protect your home or go on a crusade?
The call to do what exactly though? protect your home or go on a crusade?

The call to sign up of course (i.e. conscription or similar). I think it highly unlikely, however, as we are a fair way away from being directly involved in all-out war as things stand.
(edited 2 months ago)
It seems to me to be highly unlikely this will be needed however it makes full sense to have an actionable defence plan for a wide array of risks & circumstances (and if the wave of coronavirus taught us anything, being able to have a thought out actionable plan it is a far better position then being forced to react without capability).

On a wider note, i do think the time has come for national service to re-enter the conversation. Although I would extend it from military & defence services to military, health & social care & other important socioeconomic areas (perhaps education).
Reply 11
Original post by mnot
It seems to me to be highly unlikely this will be needed however it makes full sense to have an actionable defence plan for a wide array of risks & circumstances (and if the wave of coronavirus taught us anything, being able to have a thought out actionable plan it is a far better position then being forced to react without capability).

On a wider note, i do think the time has come for national service to re-enter the conversation. Although I would extend it from military & defence services to military, health & social care & other important socioeconomic areas (perhaps education).

I really dont see that ending overly well though. Leaving aside the military would take a dim view on having a load of hostile draftees dumped on them absolutely nobody wants to pay for that. After all, its not exactly just free labour and the whole point of a western army is its high tech, high trained and relatively nimble. Not something that is usually very conducive to having masses of irritated people forced to do it for a few years then go home again (with a couple of exceptions anyway).
Might not be so bad an idea for the care and health fields but i imagine the same issue is in play that most people absolutely do not want to be ordered to do things by a government for reasons they neither understand nor agree with.
Original post by Napp
I really dont see that ending overly well though. Leaving aside the military would take a dim view on having a load of hostile draftees dumped on them absolutely nobody wants to pay for that. After all, its not exactly just free labour and the whole point of a western army is its high tech, high trained and relatively nimble. Not something that is usually very conducive to having masses of irritated people forced to do it for a few years then go home again (with a couple of exceptions anyway).
Might not be so bad an idea for the care and health fields but i imagine the same issue is in play that most people absolutely do not want to be ordered to do things by a government for reasons they neither understand nor agree with.

While I agree that it's undesirable, I can see it happening.

Instead of the conflict settling, Russia is increasing military spending to 15-20% GDP, it appears that since Republicans in Congress have played their hand too early, that Europe intends to carry on the fight regardless of a Trump victory.

This suggests as Macron has highlighted that the conflict may indeed escalate and indeed there's a good chance that any victory in southern Ukraine would be followed by Moldova and the Caucus. Something not tolerable.

While I don't see us conscripting a million men, I can potentially see a future in which we may require partial mobilization if only 100,000 or so will volunteer.
Just leaving this here for the next time our comrade joins us :wink:

IMG_2910.jpeg
I dont believe in most of the values this country stand for so I aint fighting
Original post by shimmyjimmyfor3
I dont believe in most of the values this country stand for so I aint fighting

You're welcome to leave at any point.
Original post by Guru Jason
You're welcome to leave at any point.

You know im not going anywhere and theres lots of us who feel the same way

:lol:
Original post by shimmyjimmyfor3
You know im not going anywhere and theres lots of us who feel the same way
:lol:

You are all welcome to leave
Original post by Savanuh
Congrats on Ukraine for killing 30 civilians in Moscow theatre
Or was it even Ukraine? from Israeli poltiicans words

Step 1 - Fake the election.
Step 2 - Fake and attack on home soil <--- You are here.
Step 3 - Large scale mobilisation and excalation of the ongoing war.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending