The Student Room Group

Year Abroad 2011/2012 chat thread

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd make a thread to see who else will be doing an Erasmus exchange/year abroad during the next academic year (2011-2013). This can be a place where we discuss where we're going, how we're preparing to go and everything else related to the year abroad, whether you're ingoing or outgoing from the UK.

I'm currently studying European Legal Studies (Law, basically) at the University of Kent. I found out today that I've been given a place at the University of Copenhagen/Københavns Universitet. I'd been hoping for a place at the University of Vienna, but I'm getting over the initial disappointment and getting excited already!

I look forward to chatting with you :h:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm not an Erasmus student but I have applied for a year abroad in the US for 2011-2012.

How long did it take to hear back about being offered that place?
Reply 2
Original post by portugueseninja
I'm not an Erasmus student but I have applied for a year abroad in the US for 2011-2012.

How long did it take to hear back about being offered that place?

Of course you're welcome too :biggrin:

Um, I handed my options form in on 15th October and I heard back today...so a month and a half? Where in the US are you hoping to go?
Reply 3
I'm doing a three-month placement from march 2011 at the university of lisbon, portugal!
Oh man, three months in the Portuguese sunshine?! JEALOUS!

I'm hoping for the University of Washington... but I only sent my proposal a week or so ago so it'll probably take ages to hear back :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by -sonal-
I'm doing a three-month placement from march 2011 at the university of lisbon, portugal!

Ah, NICE! How are you feeling about it at the moment? Have you got accommodation etc sorted?

Original post by portugueseninja
Oh man, three months in the Portuguese sunshine?! JEALOUS!

I'm hoping for the University of Washington... but I only sent my proposal a week or so ago so it'll probably take ages to hear back :frown:

Ooh, cool! My fingers are crossed for you :biggrin:
Reply 6
I'm feeling excited/nervous since i'll be all on my own. I'll probably sort out my accommodation nearer to the time, most likely rent a room in a shared flat/house with other students. How long are you staying in Copenhagen (i was considering applying there too!)? and portugueseninja good luck with Washington!
Reply 7
Original post by -sonal-
I'm feeling excited/nervous since i'll be all on my own. I'll probably sort out my accommodation nearer to the time, most likely rent a room in a shared flat/house with other students. How long are you staying in Copenhagen (i was considering applying there too!)? and portugueseninja good luck with Washington!

Yeah, I know what you mean. Are any of your coursemates going?

I'm going to be spending a full academic year in Copenhagen. Maybe a bit longer if I take up one of their intensive language courses, which I probably will. Learning Danish could be interesting :s-smilie:

Ooh, I forgot to ask before: what are you studying?
Reply 8
Original post by >Anna<

I'm going to be spending a full academic year in Copenhagen. Maybe a bit longer if I take up one of their intensive language courses, which I probably will. Learning Danish could be interesting :s-smilie:

I'm studying pharmacy; i'll be carrying out my project out there. One friend is going greece; others in my year are going spain, italy, etc, but i will be on my own in portugal :frown: but shall hopefully meet lots of people there - just gotta practice my Portuguese lingo (i'm horrendous at learning languages)!
Reply 9
Original post by -sonal-
I'm studying pharmacy; i'll be carrying out my project out there. One friend is going greece; others in my year are going spain, italy, etc, but i will be on my own in portugal :frown: but shall hopefully meet lots of people there - just gotta practice my Portuguese lingo (i'm horrendous at learning languages)!

Well that's exciting! I'm sure there'll be lots of other exchange students, even if not from your uni. Are you being taught in English?
Reply 10
Original post by >Anna<
Well that's exciting! I'm sure there'll be lots of other exchange students, even if not from your uni. Are you being taught in English?

I won't have any lectures (well i hope anyway) because i'm just there to carry out my research project. Are you going Copenhagen with your course-mates?
Original post by -sonal-
I won't have any lectures (well i hope anyway) because i'm just there to carry out my research project. Are you going Copenhagen with your course-mates?

Oh, I see. I'm not sure yet...I've got a feeling it might just be me going from my uni, but I'm not sure yet. I need to contact uni and see...I think most of my friends are going to Amsterdam and Vienna.
Reply 12
I'm at UKC doing Erasmus next year as well.

Recently got my place in Paris, Sciences Po. Excited and nervous!!
Reply 13
Original post by >Anna<

Hi i've just been accepted on a 3 month placement in Copenhagen. I have no idea where to start looking for accomadation. Any tips for me?
Original post by Imi1
I'm at UKC doing Erasmus next year as well.

Recently got my place in Paris, Sciences Po. Excited and nervous!!

I'm at UKC too! :p: What do you study?

Original post by jimdawe
Hi i've just been accepted on a 3 month placement in Copenhagen. I have no idea where to start looking for accomadation. Any tips for me?

I'm afraid I don't really know...are you sure the university won't offer you anything? When are you going?
Reply 15
Original post by >Anna<
I'm at UKC too! :p: What do you study?

I study Politics and IR with French...How about you?
Original post by Imi1
I study Politics and IR with French...How about you?

Law! I know some other people who are doing their year abroad in Paris.
Hello everyone, I'm hoping to study abroad next year as well and my choice of institutions are in my signature. Although some of you may be disappointed at this thread's lack of popularity, I'm somewhat pleased. For a lack of interest in studying abroad among other students increase my chances of being placed at my desired institution (Haverford College...please God!) However, I'm intelligent enough to know that TSR does not necessarily represent 'real life'. Still, one can hope and pray...
Reply 18
I've been offered a place at UoSydney for next year. I really don't have a clue what to do, all the info on semesters (they're year starts in feb?!) and actual classes is a little vague, and they want a decision by thursday!
Reply 19
I'll be spending the year in the University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending