The Student Room Group

I just can't seem to do well in Unit 1 Bio!

I have my Unit 1 bio exam (AQA) on the 10th of January and i am so depressed about it! I have worked really hard since the start of term and i'm just gutted that i feel like this! Every past paper i have done i have got a C grade and this is just hard to accept since the amount of work i have put in! Does anyone else feel like this?? I feel so disheartened especially with such little time left! :frown:
I felt like that before. I do OCR and it is an UNBELIEVABLE amount of memorising.
Reply 2
OMGGG SAME ahaha. i actually feel like that too, ive got an exam on the 11th.
its ridiculous :s
Reply 3
Original post by The Smeezington
UNBELIEVABLE amount of memorising.

Too true! But before an exam i usually manage to memorise the necessary topics yet i cant seem to improve from my continuous C grade! Its highly frustrating!
Reply 4
AQA is the worst possible exam board for biology

shrew *cough cough* shrew :rofl:
I think one of the best things to do is revise the mark scheme. They have a lot of the same type of questions such as how the coordination of the heart works, why larger organisms need a transport system. The roles of different components in the respiratory system aka smooth muscle.

But this is for OCR. I've never done an AQA paper.
Reply 6
Original post by ilyking
AQA is the worst possible exam board for biology

shrew *cough cough* shrew :rofl:

Lol i heard that caused quite an uproar!

I have no experience of other exam boards but i will agree; AQA biology papers and mark schemes are ludacris!
Reply 7
Original post by freedom27
I have my Unit 1 bio exam (AQA) on the 10th of January and i am so depressed about it!

It's on the 11th!

One more unexpected added day... of revision :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by SAGNA
It's on the 11th!

One more unexpected added day... of revision :biggrin:

Oh my mistake :tongue: But thank you for installing me with that little bit of extra hope :smile: I have 4 exams so i'm a bit muddled up :colondollar:
Reply 9
I have my Unit 1 bio exam (AQA) on the 10th of January and i am so depressed about it! I have worked really hard since the start of term and i'm just gutted that i feel like this! Every past paper i have done i have got a C grade and this is just hard to accept since the amount of work i have put in! Does anyone else feel like this?? I feel so disheartened especially with such little time left! :frown:

oh biology on AQA is such a blooooddddyyyy joke!
seriously i'm now in my A2 year on AQA, and even if you know everything it doesn't matter -its purely exam technique!

However a few things that i did that helped me to do well in it were to go through LOADS of pastpapers, and then just make a note of the questions that commonly come up, (it was over a year ago now though so can't really remember the topics :tongue:) and then once you've done this look at the mark schemes for these questions (they tend to use the same q continuously but just re-iterate it) and write every single point they make for a mark on another bit of paper, and then form a kinda Q'naire for yourself on it, and just go through each Q, and repeat it until you can make every single point (Word for word) from your mark scheme. I know it sounds like a lot of effort, but it really worked for me, you just get used to writing in a certain way and become zombie like, and then in the exam when you get a similar question you can just regurgitate all this info and pick up all the marks! I hope this makes sense!

Oh and good luck to everyone sitting it, and don't be too upset if you don't do as well as you hope, most people don't do too well on the first AS exams, but by the time it's the summer exams hopefully it'll all click and you'll do better :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by LilacTweet
its purely exam technique!

Thank you soo much for your reply. It seems by the response i get when i complain about biology that this is the only way to achieve an A or a B in biology!

Its just frustrating and tiring because no matter how hard you work, if you haven't learnt mark scheme answers you cant really get more than a D or a C! It doesn't seem like a fair measure of academic ability!
Thank you soo much for your reply. It seems by the response i get when i complain about biology that this is the only way to achieve an A or a B in biology!

Its just frustrating and tiring because no matter how hard you work, if you haven't learnt mark scheme answers you cant really get more than a D or a C! It doesn't seem like a fair measure of academic ability!

It's not a fair measure of academic ability! it really isn't, I have a smart friend who worked her backside off, and got a E at the end of AS. I'm of similar intelligence, and also worked my backside off, however I focused on exam technique -she didn't, I came out with an A, even though we'd revised together, and tested each other on the syllabus, and seemed to know it to an equal extent! No good exam should put two candidates who achieve so closely in class, and separate them by that many grades! it's totally flawed! And to be honest if you're getting a C or D now, that's really great, cause with a little improvement in the 'how to write in their way' you can easily boost that to an A or B :smile: Good Luck for it! :biggrin: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending