The Student Room Group

Bad Science/Scientific Ignorance

I just thought I'd take the time to vent my 'anger' shall we say at the complete lack of understanding that the public has about issues in science. This was inspired by the recent poll on this site about 2012.

It's funny how powerful the media can be, it can influence vulnerable people who don't know better into believing the most wild stories. Here's a list of the things that annoy me, care to share yours? :biggrin: If you haven't already, read a book called Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, which is great at explaining some of the points I'll mention. I've tried to keep these to short snippets so it doesn't become a tldr, if you want me to go into more depth then please ask. Feedback is welcomed :smile:

Here we go.

The LHC will somehow kill us all: I saw genuine fear that day when they turned it on for the first time, it was completely rediculous. A news station in India hyped it up so much a girl killed herself because she couldn't bear to see her family and friends die.

Swine flu: Whilst it is something to worry about, it's not this super disease that I've heard some people make it out to be. It is just as potent as normal flu, but due to that we're not prepared for it makes it seem to people as just as worrying as say MRSA.

Cloned meat: People are against it for the wrong reasons. So many people have no idea what clones actually are. An image of some mindless zombie army is conjured within their minds and a lot of people fail to see what a clone actually is.

Vaccines and conspiracy: This is mainly about the MMR vaccine and autism story a few years ago. The sharp decrease of parents giving their children the vaccine was very worrying at the time.

Diets: Whilst yes there are obviously cases where specific diet plans are needed for certain people due to genetic inheritance and other factors. But, a lot of normal people go on strange diets in the hopes of losing weight. When a balanced diet and most importantly exercise will do the job just fine. Companies bring out the most rediculous products which work in convinving people that a simple diet and exercise just isn't good enough.

'Research has shown'/'scientists have found': This pisses me off greatly. The media can cherry pic research and not give any source of this information. For Daily Mail is a good example of this, can you show me where you got this information from please?

Astrology: Whilst this isn't as major as other topics, people actually do think this is true. The idea that people believe astrologers boggles my mind.

'This sounds like science, let's put it in': Remember Bifidus Digestivum and Acti-regularis? Oh deary me. By giving common bacteria (this can apply to lots of areas, not just yoghurt :tongue:) a more 'scientific' name can give a great sales boost. Since it gives the image of that there's some special sciency wiency mumbo jumbo going on in here, it must be AMAZING! It doesn't seem so special when you tell people that the same bacteria are found in your intestines normally and that all you're doing is just adding a little bit more to an already existing population of bacteria.

And last but not least (I may add some extras if I remember them).

Homeopathy: Where should I begin? The idea of homeopathy to anyone who understands the principle used in the first place is simply ludicrous. Even someone without two brain cells to rub together can surely see that the idea that less is somehow good is a stupid one. And the fact that to make it seem more credible homeopaths now say that water has a 'memory' just made me facepalm and smash my head into a wall.

Apologies for any grammar mistakes, I haven't proof read this yet :tongue: I will edit this thread now and again so come back for more in the 'Added' section below. Also if there's a topic you want me to discuss please let me know! :biggrin:

Added

Evolution misconceptions (for the fundies out there):

We did not evolve from monkeys, we share a common ancestor. You will not find a monkey giving birth to a human, if that did happen then the current theory of evolution would be 100% wrong haha.
We are not 'more evolved' than anything living today, since all life is evolving at the same time.
The 2nd law of thermodynamics only applies to closed systems, since the sun supplies Earth with energy it is not a closed system.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sicarius1992
homeopaths now say that water has a 'memory' just made me facepalm and smash my head into a wall.

I've heard about being passionate but dude, you have issues :curious:
Original post by Chengis
I've heard about being passionate but dude, you have issues :curious:

Hyperbole for dramatic effect my friend :wink:
Reply 3
I just I'd take the time to vent my 'anger' shall we say at the complete lack of understanding that the public has about issues in science. This was inspired by the recent poll on this site about 2012. Quite true.

The LHC will somehow kill us all: I saw genuine fear that day when they turned it on for the first time, it was completely rediculous. A news station in India hyped it up so much a girl killed herself because she couldn't bear to see her family and friends die.

That day was actually quite funny.
Reply 4
I just I'd take the time to vent my 'anger' shall we say at the complete lack of understanding that the public has about issues in science. This was inspired by the recent poll on this site about 2012.

It's funny how powerful the media can be, it can influence vulnerable people who don't know better into believing the most wild stories. Here's a list of the things that annoy me, care to share yours? :biggrin: If you haven't already, read a book called Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, which is great at explaining some of the points I'll mention. I've tried to keep these to short snippets so it doesn't become a tldr. Feedback is welcomed :smile:

Here we go.

Swine flu: Whilst it is something to worry about, it's not this super disease that I've heard some people make it out to be. It is just as potent as normal flu, but due to that we're not prepared for it makes it seem to people as just as worrying as say MRSA.

Cloned meat: People are against it for the wrong reasons. So many people have no idea what clones actually are. An image of some mindless zombie army is conjured within their minds and a lot of people fail to see what a clone actually is.

Vaccines and conspiracy: This is mainly about the MMR vaccine and autism story a few years ago. The sharp decrease of parents giving their children the vaccine was very worrying at the time.

Diets: Whilst yes there are obviously cases where specific diet plans are needed for certain people due to genetic inheritance and other factors. But, a lot of normal people go on strange diets in the hopes of losing weight. When a balanced diet and most importantly exercise will do the job just fine. Companies bring out the most rediculous products which work in convinving people that a simple diet and exercise just isn't good enough.

'Research has shown'/'scientists have found': This pisses me off greatly. The media can cherry pic research and not give any source of this information. For Daily Mail is a good example of this, can you show me where you got this information from please?

Astrology: Whilst this isn't as major as other topics, people actually do think this is true. The idea that people believe astrologers boggles my mind.

'This sounds like science, let's put it in': Remember Bifidus Digestivum and Acti-regularis? Oh deary me. By giving common bacteria (this can apply to lots of areas, not just yoghurt :tongue:) a more 'scientific' name can give a great sales boost. Since it gives the image of that there's some special sciency wiency mumbo jumbo going on in here, it must be AMAZING! It doesn't seem so special when you tell people that the same bacteria are found in your intestines normally and that all you're doing is just adding a little bit more to an already existing population of bacteria.

And last but not least (I may add some extras if I remember them).

Homeopathy: Where should I begin? The idea of homeopathy to anyone who understands the principle used in the first place is simply ludicrous. Even someone without two brain cells to rub together can surely see that the idea that less is somehow good is a stupid one. And the fact that to make it seem more credible homeopaths now say that water has a 'memory' just made me facepalm and smash my head into a wall.

Apologies for any grammar mistakes, I haven't proof read this yet :tongue:

how do you explain the birds and fish falling down all over the place?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29209766&posted=1#post29209766
Reply 5
I'm actually doing an extended project qualification on this kind of things. It's really made me laugh hearing what some people think about things like homeopathy like the magical special leather pad which makes the water work.

We had people in our school hugging each other and calling home on the day the LHC was switched on. Mind you, they're also the same people who think I'm taking a degree in astrology, not astronomy - that really winds me up...
Original post by damidude
how do you explain the birds and fish falling down all over the place?
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29209766&posted=1#post29209766

Honestly I have no idea since I haven't looked in detail about it yet.

Original post by Hydron
I'm actually doing an extended project qualification on this kind of things. It's really made me laugh hearing what some people think about things like homeopathy like the magical special leather pad which makes the water work.

We had people in our school hugging each other and calling home on the day the LHC was switched on. Mind you, they're also the same people who think I'm taking a degree in astrology, not astronomy - that really winds me up...

I did a little bit about the public understanding of science for my science communicator scheme for a bit of personal statement buffing. I was sort of interested in it before but now I see it as an alternative career path! :biggrin: If my research career doesn't work out I'd like to be a science advisor for people are some kind of Ben Goldacre character for newspapers.
Reply 7
The whole LHC thing was funny because people were genuinely panicked just because the media told them to be. More to the point it was funny that even though particle accelerators had been used before for some reason this one was going to kill us all.

I have to say though the one thing which annoys me. Is when the media claims that scientists have found a new way of 'creating' energy. Which anyone with a GCSE in science should know is impossible.
Original post by limetang
I have to say though the one thing which annoys me. Is when the media claims that scientists have found a new way of 'creating' energy. Which anyone with a GCSE in science should know is impossible.

Can you show me an example of that? I haven't seen one but I want to have a little chuckle today :tongue:
Reply 9

Right, well, ok thanks, bye.
Don't forget the magic energy rings which somehow "optimise the body's energy flow" and "resonate with and respond to the natural energy field of the body". Never mind that there is no such thing as an energy field, or that even if there were it would be impossible to "resonate and respond" to it, or that on the Power Balance website it explicitly says it was "developed by athletes" as if that's a good thing, or that the Australian government recently censured them for false and misleading advertising, CELEBRITIES WEAR THEM SO IT MUST WORK!!!!11!oneone
Don't forget drugs advisory. Our lovely coalition is taking away the need for a trained scientist to sit on the drugs advisory panel. Massive fail.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending