The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Is Open University a good choice for studying Biology?

I have been really thinking about starting a degree course at Open University. I have been through so many sites reading reviews because I don't want this to turn out to be a bad choice. The reviews are largely varied. It seems that a few years ago the reviews were amazing... But not so much anymore?

Is there anyone here currently at Open University that could give me some advice and honest opinions on it? And has it gone down hill in recent years?
Original post by Gee443
I have been really thinking about starting a degree course at Open University. I have been through so many sites reading reviews because I don't want this to turn out to be a bad choice. The reviews are largely varied. It seems that a few years ago the reviews were amazing... But not so much anymore?

Is there anyone here currently at Open University that could give me some advice and honest opinions on it? And has it gone down hill in recent years?

Moving this to the Open uni forum which also has a Connect tool for talking to other students :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Gee443

I won't bore you with too many details but the OU was anomalously funded compared to other universities pre-2012, a deal that was way too good to last. How good it was in the past has little relevance to whether it is right for you, now, compared to other current options.
Original post by Gee443

If you have the chance then definity go to a full time uni. You will get lab experience and support the OU can't provide because of its nature.

That said, they do try with their online experiments and there are lab courses you can pay for which will help you gain experience in the field.

Most modules are online now which is a real pain, but you can pay to have the materials printed/print them yourself.

The support is generally good, but as with any course at the OU it is tough doing it on your own. Also as with any science subject recruiters will want to see that you have some experience in the field, so if you're looking to study your biology degree to use it in the field of biology then go and get work experience/do extra lab training courses anything to put yourself ahead.

My OU study has helped me get jobs I possibly wouldn't have otherwise. I can prove I'm effective at time management, motivation and organisation just because I am able to study and work full time and still achieve top grades. But despite that, if I had the chance, I still would have preferred to complete my degree with a 'normal' university.
Reply 4
Original post by Gee443

Hi, what did you decide to do in the end as I am thinking of studying this with OU in the new year?
I'm studying biology at the OU now, I love it the freedom it allows me, its nice studying in your own time, all lectures are recorded so you can work a job alongside the degree if you wish and still keep up with the course content. I found juggling work and the sheer amount of coursework you have to do almost impossible though. Also I don't know what tutors are like at brick and mortar unis, but the tutors I've come across so far at the OU have been boring, completely frustrating and lack lustre at best, they sound bored and uninterested in the lectures they deliver. They also overcomplicate everything unnecessarily, adding jargon that doesn't need to be there to questions that could be very straightforward. Any help given by the tutors when I would reach out would also be frustrating, they would often give me answers to questions I hadn't even asked, ignoring the actual question I had. No joke, I sent 5 emails to one of my tutors copying and pasting the question after every response, id say something along the line of 'thanks for your reply but actually my question was _____' to which id get another very vague or unrelated response, completely ignoring my question. In the end I gave up with the tutors and their lectures and the content they provided and would instead do my own research for my assignments and my own research for the course content, pushing the confusing (and sometimes incorrect) information they would provide to one side. Speaking of wrong content, you know somethings wrong when the students are correcting the tutors in lectures for providing wrong answers to maths questions or incorrect scientific facts. When I did move my study outside of the tutors content, the time I would take trying to wrap my head around confusing jargon filled course content was cut in half and I fell in love with the subject again! So if you can get past the lazy tutors and boring lectures and make your study your own then the OU is a brilliant uni! As soon as you find your legs and find what works for you it can be amazing and so worth trying.
Hello there I am interested in studying biology with the open uni. How are the assignments? Do you have to be amazing at writing essays? And how much math is involved Any advice would bre greatly appreciated Thanks so much
Reply 7
Original post by peggysue2
I'm studying biology at the OU now, I love it the freedom it allows me, its nice studying in your own time, all lectures are recorded so you can work a job alongside the degree if you wish and still keep up with the course content. I found juggling work and the sheer amount of coursework you have to do almost impossible though. Also I don't know what tutors are like at brick and mortar unis, but the tutors I've come across so far at the OU have been boring, completely frustrating and lack lustre at best, they sound bored and uninterested in the lectures they deliver. They also overcomplicate everything unnecessarily, adding jargon that doesn't need to be there to questions that could be very straightforward. Any help given by the tutors when I would reach out would also be frustrating, they would often give me answers to questions I hadn't even asked, ignoring the actual question I had. No joke, I sent 5 emails to one of my tutors copying and pasting the question after every response, id say something along the line of 'thanks for your reply but actually my question was _____' to which id get another very vague or unrelated response, completely ignoring my question. In the end I gave up with the tutors and their lectures and the content they provided and would instead do my own research for my assignments and my own research for the course content, pushing the confusing (and sometimes incorrect) information they would provide to one side. Speaking of wrong content, you know somethings wrong when the students are correcting the tutors in lectures for providing wrong answers to maths questions or incorrect scientific facts. When I did move my study outside of the tutors content, the time I would take trying to wrap my head around confusing jargon filled course content was cut in half and I fell in love with the subject again! So if you can get past the lazy tutors and boring lectures and make your study your own then the OU is a brilliant uni! As soon as you find your legs and find what works for you it can be amazing and so worth trying.

Hi, I'm just curious about how you went about effectively teaching yourself? Did you have to find your own study materials that corresponded to the material you would be graded on? How were you confident you were learning the correct things? I'm considering the Biology undergrad course, so it would be great to know!
Reply 8
Original post by saje
Hi, I'm just curious about how you went about effectively teaching yourself? Did you have to find your own study materials that corresponded to the material you would be graded on? How were you confident you were learning the correct things? I'm considering the Biology undergrad course, so it would be great to know!

Hi
I'm currently studying Biology at OU, having started last year. All the study materials are provided by the university, either online or in printed books form. As far as I know, I haven't had any textbooks for biology, nor I will in future, but most of the other degree subjects do. Their assignments will never ever ask questions involving any external content.
You also have access to free online library, and there is a scheme in which you can borrow books from any university's library in the UK.
The concepts are broken down, in very easy and understandable concepts, as many of the OU students won't have A-Levels. I never did A-level Biology, but here I am doing BSc Biology !
Overall, I'm enjoying my course and can't wait to start year 2 !
Hope this helps !

Quick Reply

Latest