The Student Room Group

University Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Birmingham just seem like a nice bunch of lads. They have my vote
Original post by k9markiii
My favourite team was St John's, Oxford from a few years ago. Chen Parry Woodheusen and Townsend.

I always forgot the far right member of the Magdalen team, exceot he was really good at maths and science.

I loved, when they explain whom they are at the beginning, McComish and Haddad-Fonda came out with respective Australian and American accents, and then Chan, the captain, who looked Asian and probably the least British, came out with a royal posh accent, saying he was from Leamington Spa :colondollar:

They were also quite fashionable. Although I have to say, I've watched a few of the ancient episodes form the 50s on youtube and I am waiting for the day when an Oxbridge team comes out wearing the full academic garb. :love:

Plus, your sig :love: (I'm a little too affectionate don't you think? It's 16 btw, and Pi. I can't forgive you for not having Pi)
(edited 12 years ago)
What's everyone's best score? Mines 15, but can't seem to get through the barrier :/
Reply 983
I just remembered Gail Trimble!!!

Does anyone know where she is now? Probably some deadly investment banker or something. Perhaps she controls the world and has Obama and Cameron on puppet strings :biggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWAREfotNOM&NR=1

Am I the only one wondering why it took so long for her to buzz? Haha maybe I'm into HP too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_lRB...eature=related

I love this ^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y7NX...eature=related

I died. This is even better!
Reply 986
Original post by Brand New Eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWAREfotNOM&NR=1

Am I the only one wondering why it took so long for her to buzz? Haha maybe I'm into HP too much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_lRB...eature=related

I love this ^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y7NX...eature=related

I died. This is even better!

Interesting. I think they made a mistake with the Harry Potter questions. Obviously Moody was never a DADA teacher at Hogwarts, Barty Crouch Jr was, as is mentioned in the comments. UC could argue that they meant from the perspective of the students it was apparently Moody, but Crouch is hardly a wrong answer and I'd be a bit miffed if I'd said that and it was declared wrong. It's a bit of a trick question, perhaps they should have asked something else.
Original post by Craig_D
Interesting. I think they made a mistake with the Harry Potter questions. Obviously Moody was never a DADA teacher at Hogwarts, Barty Crouch Jr was, as is mentioned in the comments. UC could argue that they meant from the perspective of the students it was apparently Moody, but Crouch is hardly a wrong answer and I'd be a bit miffed if I'd said that and it was declared wrong. It's a bit of a trick question, perhaps they should have asked something else.

True, but I think it was based on appearance alone.

If you think that's bad you should've seen the major economics fail a few weeks back (maybe you did). They put the wrong diagram in and labelled all the axes wrong :lolwut:
Original post by Craig_D

If they told me I was wrong on something like that, it would be one of those awkward.com moments when a contestant argues with Paxman.

That economics fail was awful!!! :frown:
Reply 989
True, but I think it was based on appearance alone.

If you think that's bad you should've seen the major economics fail a few weeks back (maybe you did). They put the wrong diagram in and labelled all the axes wrong :lolwut:

I did see that! I thought my eyes were deceiving me and brushed it off as my mistake, glad to know that someone else thought the same. Normally UC has such a high standard of questions.
Original post by Craig_D

Surely the truth is that Moody was appointed as a DADA teacher but never got as far as actually teaching a class, though he appeared to?
Original post by AspiringGenius
If they told me I was wrong on something like that, it would be one of those awkward.com moments when a contestant argues with Paxman.

That economics fail was awful!!! :frown:

hahaha indeed... but could it have been more awkward than the classic:

Paxman: Good guess
Guttenplan: It wasn't a guess

still gets me every time

Original post by Craig_D
I did see that! I thought my eyes were deceiving me and brushed it off as my mistake, glad to know that someone else thought the same. Normally UC has such a high standard of questions.

Indeed! No wonder they didn't get the answer! It wasn't exactly very obvious
hahaha indeed... but could it have been more awkward than the classic:

Paxman: Good guess
Guttenplan: It wasn't a guess

still gets me every time

Indeed! No wonder they didn't get the answer! It wasn't exactly very obvious

I'm going to come out with it. I can retain it no longer.

I want to marry Guttenplan. :teehee:
I'm going to come out with it. I can retain it no longer.

I want to marry Guttenplan. :teehee:

Really though?

REALLY?!

Really though?

REALLY?!

Just googles him, to see what he looks like... Will from the Inbetweeners was so blatantly based on him :lol:
Just googles him, to see what he looks like... Will from the Inbetweeners was so blatantly based on him :lol:

So you didn't even know who he was!

Haha yep, they even look alike! Although Guttenplan made his debut after Will so...
The media dubbed him a "sex symbol" :lol:
Original post by DMed
One thing I don't like about it is that Oxbridge can sign up as different colleges, surely it should be one team for each Uni, just like all the other Unis

Then they could make one SUPER-TEAM :colone:

(I mean from the colleges of course, not the two unis)
(edited 12 years ago)
So you didn't even know who he was!

Haha yep, they even look alike! Although Guttenplan made his debut after Will so...
The media dubbed him a "sex symbol" :lol:

I only watched the last two series, must have just missed im.

He might be on TSR :biggrin:
Reply 998
Original post by Good bloke
Surely the truth is that Moody was appointed as a DADA teacher but never got as far as actually teaching a class, though he appeared to?

Hmm, that's a good point I suppose. I re-watched the clip to hear how it was worded, and it was simply:

"[T]hree more characters to take on that ill fated role, 5 points for each character name ..."

Which doesn't really help much. Given that he was appointed I suppose Moody did indeed take on the role, but then in a way Crouch also taken on the role because he actually performed it. What's more, the picture shown is of Crouch himself, from a scene where Crouch was disguised as Moody, it's not as if they shown a picture of the real Moody from a later film. I know there's a degree of pedantry on my part but it is an important plot point and it's a bit too ambiguous. Hopefully UC were aware of it and would have accepted Crouch, otherwise I think it's a poor question.
1000th comment wooooo

Quick Reply

Latest