The Student Room Group

How challenging is the first year of university?

I have mixed opinions on how difficult it will be for me endure my first year at university. I’ll be away from home and I am both excited and nervous taking into account the new environment and the step up in work.
subject?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
subject?

Politics
I have mixed opinions on how difficult it will be for me endure my first year at university. I’ll be away from home and I am both excited and nervous taking into account the new environment and the step up in work.

Hi!
I would say that academically university is not too challenging in your first year, especially if you have just sat your a levels as first year of university is not as intense as a levels (obviously this depends on the course but from what i've heard about politics this will be the case for you). I found the challenging part being how mentally draining meeting so many new people and settling into a new routine can be. However, this is also the best part of uni life as you make new friends and gain independence, so make sure to enjoy it.

Hope this helps! Faye :smile:

Hey!

From personal experience, the first year is normally intended to get everyone up to the same level, so as said above, if you did an A-level in the subject, you will most likely cover similar content as you did last year! That's not to say it's easy, as it definitely takes time to get used to university-style teaching and assignments, but overall the first year is to help set you up for the second and third year which is where your grades really count.

My main advice for the first year would be to set up some good habits, like making sure not to miss classes (which is easier said than done, especially during fresher's .etc), paying attention to the feedback you get on your assignments and just generally getting used to the university way of working :h:

Best of luck with everything!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi @anonymous #1

The first year of university can be challenging for many students as it’s a very big transition from what you’re used to. Additionally, adjusting to a new social environment and managing your time effectively can also present challenges.

However, with proper planning, organisation, and support, you will be able to navigate the challenges of your first year and thrive academically and personally. It's important to seek help when needed, utilise campus resources, and maintain a healthy work-life balance. Especially during first year, typically, universities understand this transitioning period where work and grades in first year aren’t considered towards your overall grade! So have fun! Concentrate on getting yourself settled in and finding a routine/schedule that works for you in order for you to feel comfortable during your studies.

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending