The Student Room Group

University Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tjf8
Glad to say that Corpus Christi did give me an offer instead though!

Trimble was a legend, shame she's not officially a champion though...
Original post by Hedgeman49
Trimble was a legend, shame she's not officially a champion though...

I found Guttenplan pretty stunning.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I found Guttenplan pretty stunning.

He was, we were spoilt those two years!
I eagerly await the day when the Trimble/guttenplan/??? Trilogy is finished
I've been listening to lots of famous passages of classical music, and trying to learn a few Booker and Nobel prizewinners. Other than that, mostly just hoping that some nice questions come up for me and that the other team aren't faster than us on the buzzer!

Yeah, I've been listening to a lot of classical music too. Classical music and Keats/Blake seem to come up virtually every episode (or at least that's how it appears to me. I swear a world expert in Keats must be on the question-setters team). Only think I wouldn't be able to manage at all is opera I think as I know zilch about that and wouldn't want to prepare either :tongue:
Original post by Silverland
Yeah, I've been listening to a lot of classical music too. Classical music and Keats/Blake seem to come up virtually every episode (or at least that's how it appears to me. I swear a world expert in Keats must be on the question-setters team). Only think I wouldn't be able to manage at all is opera I think as I know zilch about that and wouldn't want to prepare either :tongue:

I've been listening to classic fm for a couple of months - dont know if it will help :/ I'm good on Tchaikovsky and less so on Prokofiev and even worse on others.

Blake I have in the back of my memory because we did Romantic poets for AS-Level, but :/
What day are you filming?

There should be a University Challenge Superteam Final Allstars Edition. Trimble and Guttenplan would each head an all-stars team and the questions would be rapped out by Paxman at twice the normal rate. Twenty point penalties and Starters for Fifty if answered within 0.5 of a second.

I get a bit bored with the constant references to Romantic Poets. Wierd stuff to do with enzyme biochemistry seems to be another favourite, God only knows what it's all about.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
I've been listening to classic fm for a couple of months - dont know if it will help :/ I'm good on Tchaikovsky and less so on Prokofiev and even worse on others.

Blake I have in the back of my memory because we did Romantic poets for AS-Level, but :/
What day are you filming?

My entire Prokofiev knowledge is the theme from the apprentice :lol: (Dance of the Knights)

When am I filimg? um, in about 2 years time if all goes well :colondollar:
Heck, I don't even start uni until October, but I figure I need to start preparing now if I want to be the next Guttenplan :wink:
I get a bit bored with the constant references to Romantic Poets. Wierd stuff to do with enzyme biochemistry seems to be another favourite, God only knows what it's all about.

Famous novel/Shakespeare titles translated to Latin/Greek and literary character family trees always seems to come up more than they should too. I find a lot of chemistry questions awfully easily, but then again that's what I do and read :closedeyes:
There should be a University Challenge Superteam Final Allstars Edition. Trimble and Guttenplan would each head an all-stars team and the questions would be rapped out by Paxman at twice the normal rate. Twenty point penalties and Starters for Fifty if answered within 0.5 of a second.

Considering how many specials UC often have, I was surprised that no Trimble's Corpus Vs Guttenplan's Emmanuel had been made into a real show. However I then thought Trimble is about 30 now, and also It's hard for the BBC to invite her team back and all after they disqualified them :I
Plus I imagine it'd feel a bit embarrassing to be any of the other 3 members of both teams; only there because your captain was amazing :rolleyes:

Don Paxo rapping would be amusing though, even if it means he has no time for his scathing remarks (and he was a bit sharp to the shy UCL boy on Monday). I wonder who'll end up replacing him. I know Mr Fry has said the one show that he'd love to host would be UC, but I can't help feeling he's been on it enough times already :curious:
I definitely think a comprehensive memory for every element name, the anagram of it and the periodic table numbering are going to get you through. Plus of course the passport cover for every EU member state. :smile:

I'm the next Trimble :wink: (I wish!)
I'm the next Trimble :wink: (I wish!)

Yeah me too :tongue:
Yeah me too :tongue:

oi! Let's face it, I'm the closest thing we're going to have to Trimble at Bath, given our complete lack of a Classics department.
I definitely think a comprehensive memory for every element name, the anagram of it and the periodic table numbering are going to get you through. Plus of course the passport cover for every EU member state. :smile:

Haha. I've memorised by periodic table by proton number but I haven't learnt all the anagrams yet. :tongue: I want to learn all the weird geological meso/paleo-zoic era things first as I'm always clueless for those questions. Trying to get a good synopsis for all the Shakespeare plays too (coughSparknotes) :rolleyes:
Haha. I've memorised by periodic table by proton number but I haven't learnt all the anagrams yet. :tongue: I want to learn all the weird geological meso/paleo-zoic era things first as I'm always clueless for those questions. Trying to get a good synopsis for all the Shakespeare plays too (coughSparknotes) :rolleyes:

Aha, yes, how could I forget the Bard?? You need to know the opening line of every play and the number of murders in each one, things like that.

I'm also starting to realise as I watch more and more episodes that your team needs to train with flash cards of famous paintings - memorise the artist's names.
Reply 1595
x

Good luck tomorrow :h:
Original post by dknt
Good luck tomorrow :h:

Thanks!
Thanks!

How'd you find it/How'd it go? =]
How'd you find it/How'd it go? =]

Not allowed to say! Suffice to say it was a good experience and that everyone involved is lovely. You'll have to wait til the series airs to find out more :wink:
Not allowed to say! Suffice to say it was a good experience and that everyone involved is lovely. You'll have to wait til the series airs to find out more :wink:

heh I thought not. Do they make you sign an agreement saying you won't tell?

Quick Reply

Latest