The Student Room Group

University Challenge

Scroll to see replies

I would love to see a Bangor-UCL final.
Well, that was a good episode. :biggrin: I appreciated their inclusion of no fewer than two "what is the common name of [taxon]" starters (while bemoaning the lack of any when I'm actually in a position to answer them). I really don't see UCL losing the final at this point, but I suppose anything can happen.

I got 31 this week (9 starters/22 bonuses), which is about average. Could have used fewer bonuses on towns in the UK. Especially when they're described in heraldic terms. I am incredibly impressed they got any of those right.
Original post by Ho Chi Minh
India Lenon never does anything. She's only there so that the cameras have something to focus on when the team is answering the follow-up questions.

I was never a fan of hers at the start tbh. Vacant camera smiles don't make up for doing zilch. I'm glad she's going

I wonder who'll be presenting the trophy this year anyways. That's always a fun guess. I have the strangest feeling it might be Hillary Mantel (they love Literary figures giving out them trophies), but that's just a stab in the dark in all honesty. :s-smilie:
Original post by Silverland
I was never a fan of hers at the start tbh. Vacant camera smiles don't make up for doing zilch. I'm glad she's going

I wonder who'll be presenting the trophy this year anyways. That's always a fun guess. I have the strangest feeling it might be Hillary Mantel (they love Literary figures giving out them trophies), but that's just a stab in the dark in all honesty. :s-smilie:

Hilary Mantel has gained a lot of prominence recently, but that post-dated the filming, I think, so if anything she'll be presenting the trophy next year. But yes, I'd also had that thought. :biggrin:
Original post by opaltiger
Hilary Mantel has gained a lot of prominence recently, but that post-dated the filming, I think, so if anything she'll be presenting the trophy next year. But yes, I'd also had that thought. :biggrin:

Well I wasn't particularly referring to her somewhat recent Kate Middleton comments, amusing as they were. She's just the kind of UC question-setter sweetheart with 2 booker prizes and all. And iirc she got her CBE way back in 2006 so I don't think she's that recent to the scene. :s-smilie:

Awesome we had the same thought though and I certainly want to see her and her signature smile on UC within the next few years :h:
Original post by Ho Chi Minh
India Lenon never does anything. She's only there so that the cameras have something to focus on when the team is answering the follow-up questions.

She got several follow-ons, you aren't being completely fair. She could be heard distinctly coming up with the answers on them before the others.

The UCL team are very good, it will be a tough final, both Bangor and UCL are very strong.

Are you planning to tell us the final result as well? Please don't!
Well I wasn't particularly referring to her somewhat recent Kate Middleton comments, amusing as they were. She's just the kind of UC question-setter sweetheart with 2 booker prizes and all. And iirc she got her CBE way back in 2006 so I don't think she's that recent to the scene. :s-smilie:

Awesome we had the same thought though and I certainly want to see her and her signature smile on UC within the next few years :h:

Nor was I. Her second Booker win post-dates the filming, as does the flurry of other awards she received for Bring Up the Bodies. I realise she's been around for ages, but in the last year she came to public prominence a lot more than she had been in the past, I think.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Are you planning to tell us the final result as well? Please don't!

wowzers. Apologies for harmless speculation ._.

Nor was I. Her second Booker win post-dates the filming, as does the flurry of other awards she received for Bring Up the Bodies. I realise she's been around for ages, but in the last year she came to public prominence a lot more than she had been in the past, I think.

heh. Fair point. But if there was a list of 'favourites' for the guest appearance then I like to think she'd be near the top and I'd put a small bet on her being there in the next few years :colone:
wowzers. Apologies for harmless speculation

Oh, OK, fair enough, I assumed you knew something already.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Oh, OK, fair enough, I assumed you knew something already.

nah. And if I did spoiling it is kinda low
Well, that was a good episode. :biggrin: I appreciated their inclusion of no fewer than two "what is the common name of [taxon]" starters (while bemoaning the lack of any when I'm actually in a position to answer them). I really don't see UCL losing the final at this point, but I suppose anything can happen.

I got 31 this week (9 starters/22 bonuses), which is about average. Could have used fewer bonuses on towns in the UK. Especially when they're described in heraldic terms. I am incredibly impressed they got any of those right.

Portsmouth was pretty much the Portsmouth FC crest, not too bad. 31 is crazy though, well done, best I've managed is 26

Cappleman did carry them in the last round, and he had a bit of an off day including an absolute mare on the (x+y)^2 question

Also this is probably just me, having been to school in Alty, but UCL Dennis should be shot for that horrific mispronunciation of Altrincham, which is in SW Manchester anyway. Londoner rabble
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1792
Original post by dnumberwang
Cappleman did carry them in the last round, and he had a bit of an off day including an absolute mare on the (x+y)^2 question

That maths question was very bad. His answer was right; Paxo didn't say he was looking for the general solution.
Original post by dnumberwang
Portsmouth was pretty much the Portsmouth FC crest, not too bad. 31 is crazy though, well done, best I've managed is 26

Also this is probably just me, having been to school in Alty, but UCL Dennis should be shot for that horrific mispronunciation of Altrincham, which is in SW Manchester anyway. Londoner rabble

Is the 'ch' meant to be semi-silent, like 'ing'?
ul-tring-am

source: my parents are from South Manchester

Cambridge lost it on the 'crossing the house' answer. Their momentum was crippled from therein despite fighting back.
Reply 1795
135 points this week, not including the algebra question which I can't quite remember but was considering giving myself points for. Cappleman was seriously hard done by there, he never asked for a general solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cnuofesd
ul-tring-am

source: my parents are from South Manchester

Cambridge lost it on the 'crossing the house' answer. Their momentum was crippled from therein despite fighting back.

I think Cambridge lost it a few weeks back :wink:
Reply 1797
Original post by Nice.Guy
it's just a shame that they're goddamn awful at university challenge :tongue:. . . no comment on how they made the teams . . . :sexface:

seriously - how DID they form the team from New College, Oxford?
all that fuss was made about the pretty one, India Lenon (?) but in 5 appearances I reckon u could count her total number of correct answers on the fingers of, well, one finger
extra-curricular tuition perhaps :tongue:
Original post by pomozki
seriously - how DID they form the team from New College, Oxford?
all that fuss was made about the pretty one, India Lenon (?) but in 5 appearances I reckon u could count her total number of correct answers on the fingers of, well, one finger
extra-curricular tuition perhaps :tongue:

Bit unfair, whilst possibly not the best contestant in the history of UC she certainly did get quite a few right!
Original post by Hedgeman49
Bit unfair, whilst possibly not the best contestant in the history of UC she certainly did get quite a few right!

I just watched it again and she got at least 3 directly on her own and contributed to at least 5 more.

As usual, female contestants are being focused on for their looks and attacked for their intellectual contribution. Really, it's hard to win - if they are pretty, like India, they are slapped down as 'cute but thick' - if they are plain/nerdy, they are 'ugly'. I hardly think it's likely that she is a dumbo as she has after all graduated from New and is now working as a trainee lawyer.

Quick Reply

Latest