The Student Room Group
Reply 1
go to a doctor that is the only way to be sure.
although im not a fan of doctors really, Ill be first of many to say SAFD. See a ****ing doctor. The doctor wont give a **** probably and will tell you to stop being silly, but demand referal to a hospital for checks. Maybe you could even just turn up at hospital and see if they will help
Reply 3
It could be a number of different things, of which cancer is one of the least likely. It could be a simple infection of some kind that has caused your lymph nodes to swell up. You should probably see your doctor but there is no need to think you have cancer at this stage because there are many, far more likely explainations.
tell your mum and go to the doctors. theres no point u worrying about your onw self-diagnosis, after all you arnt the one with a medicine degree! im sure youl be fine
Reply 5
No no no to internet self-diagnosis. I've done it a few times and it just causes so much unnecessary worry that I've promised myself to never look up symptoms again! I think it's just cos there are so many more websites devoted to cancer than say, a simple infection.

Anyway, as people have said, get to the doctors and put your mind at rest. Sound like you'll need some medicine whatever it is.

Cxx
i think daveo hit the nail on the head, youre probably just fighting something off and this swollen lymph nodes! but things are always best checked! And internet diagnosis can be bad bad thing!
Reply 7
Cancer would be very unlikely in someone your age. There are so manythings what you had could be so go to your gp and get him to check it out.
as people have said go to teh doctors, i would also suggest talking to flukey, he has had several investigatory operations to do with his lymph gland because he had a lump appear on his neck a while a go, and when i say appear, it was visible when jsut looking at it. i don't know whether i shoudl have said that or not, but i am sure flukey will forgive me, but ask him about his because i know its an ongoing thing, but the best thing to do is go to the doctor where they can sort it out.
Reply 9
Cancer does occasionally present itself amongst teenagers, but not very often. As someone else said, it is common for your lymph nodes to swell up and I really doubt it's anything to worry about. About a year and a half ago my best friend had a similar scare and it turned out her lymph nodes were just a bit swollen; it was nothing to worry about!

Of course, you should see a doctor just in case, but just rest assured that it's very unlikely to be cancer. A few weeks ago I thought I may have breast cancer, which was highly unlikely because I hardly have any boobs...lol, but anyway, someone online told me that it was normal to feel a bit lumpy sometimes and that it's completely normal to have painful areas too.

So yeah, see your doctor just in case and have plenty of relaxation and sleep in the meantime!
Reply 10
HmmmInteresting
Okay... after looking on the internet I'm pretty sure I have lyphoma (sp?), a type of cancer. I'm quite worried though, I have this firm, painless lump deep in my neck - and feel ill gnerally (weak, tired, etc.)

Does anyone know what it could be because I'm almost convinced I have that cancer that is common in teenagers...?

Don't worry!! Does the lump move around? If so its probably fatty tissue. Its really common for young people to have lumps in the neck and its very rarely cancer. Was told this by a doctor when i had one its still here though.
Internet self diagnosis= should not be done! :rolleyes:
It is hard though. Maybe I'm just being a hypochondriac...
Dont use the internet to self diagnose - its very very bad! and most oftern completely incorrect... but if get it checked out by a doctor anyway - just to put your mind at rest.
It is extreamly rare for a teenager to get cancer. Most changes on our body are due to hormones not cancer, but seeyour GP. its not a waste of time, and it will put your mind at ease
i have a lump under my armpit which keeps coming and going i doubt if its anything because of the fact that it keep appearing and disappearing but still...
Reply 16
It is not impossible for young people to get lymphoma, i know myself because my sister got non-hodgkins lymphoma when she was 16. She had been ill for a while. At first it started off with a pale look, then it turned into night sweats, then it went to feeling light headed and dizzyness, then finally the flu. After that she was diagnosed with it. She also had a short breath. Which made her feel more ill because she'd get out of breath easily. I was only 11 when she was diagnosed with it.

I remember talking to 1 of the nurses at Alder hey (the hospital she was at) and they said that the youngest kid they had treated for cancer was 3 minutes old. The kid had got cancer while in the mum apparently, and was rushed straight to the kids cancer ward.
iceman_jondoe
i have a lump under my armpit which keeps coming and going i doubt if its anything because of the fact that it keep appearing and disappearing but still...

I had that and it hurt like mad but I think it was just a blocked pore or something...anyway it eventually went down so that was ok
--------------
LPK
they said that the youngest kid they had treated for cancer was 3 minutes old. The kid had got cancer while in the mum apparently, and was rushed straight to the kids cancer ward.

I can't believe that!! :eek: ....its amazing what they can do medical wise now though...
Reply 18
Go to the doctor, I thought I had cancer once, it turned out to be a large hernia, although when I went to the doctor she told me I needed an operation it was still a major relief.

Cancer is still quote rare in young people but I get the impression that it is increasing above the rate of population growth, I have also been told that if you live to 70 our generation will have 1/2 of getting cancer at some stage in our lifes. I don't know how to true this as I am not a doctor.

The trick with any cancer is early diagnosis, that what killed my grandad, he went to the doctors with bowel cancer symtons years ago but she didn't think it was cancer, in the end it had spread to his liver and that is what killed him.

So if you think you may have cancer see the doctor straight away, it dosn't matter if turns out to be an infection its better than being sorry, also don't take any bull of the doctors, if you are not convinced get a second opinion.
Reply 19
LPK
It is not impossible for young people to get lymphoma, i know myself because my sister got non-hodgkins lymphoma when she was 16. She had been ill for a while. At first it started off with a pale look, then it turned into night sweats, then it went to feeling light headed and dizzyness, then finally the flu. After that she was diagnosed with it. She also had a short breath. Which made her feel more ill because she'd get out of breath easily. I was only 11 when she was diagnosed with it.

Yes, but he hasn't described any other symptoms, just this lump. I think we all know the ONLY solution is to go to the doctors, rather than sitting on this thread scaremongering with only semi-informed opinions.

Latest

Trending

Trending