The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -honeybee-
Never seen a chippy van in my life, but I've seen loads of ice cream vans! They only sell ice cream though. I live in the midlands. We do have a 'tea man' who comes round in a van, and a 'fish man' (but it's fresh fish).

I used to have a chip van... where we lived there was all mountains and homes but not many take aways..so saw a gap in the market.. raked it in.. they are a good business... used to beep the horn at certain streets at certain times.. :smile:
Reply 781

This isn't the right kind. They came in a pack similar to supernoodles and were called noodle town. Can't seem to find a picture though.

Fired off an email to the company a year or 2 ago and they confirmed they had been discontinued :frown:
Original post by ouchmynose
I used to have a chip van... where we lived there was all mountains and homes but not many take aways..so saw a gap in the market.. raked it in.. they are a good business... used to beep the horn at certain streets at certain times.. :smile:

You, my friend, provided a national service. We needed... NEEDED our chips delivered straight to our streets!
Original post by TotoMimo
Really? You've never had a Chippy Van or an "Icy" (ice cream/confectioner's van)?

I don't know anyone who's never experienced the latter, although the former seems to be quite a northern/Scottish phenomenon, perhaps?

The former was a tiny mobile chip shop like the one pictured that used to do chips, fish, sausage, various puddings (black, white, red/lorne) battered burgers, butties and SCRAPS! He would drive around the estate at about 7-8pm and blow a whistle, and when you heard it you'd dive outside, get your chips, dive back inside and watch You Bet!! and Stars in their Eyes.

I live in Scotland and grew up there and never once saw a chip van until I went to Carlisle Art College and they had one whilst their canteen was getting refurbished.

Next time I saw one was at Hull uni outside the student bar.

Then again I have seen burger/hot dog vans that sell everything like that and chips at pretty much every large car boot sale, or fun fair.
Reply 784
Vanilla coke, Turkey Twizzlers, orginal Sunny D - it tastes too different now.

Peperami Noodles, Peperami in a Roll (it was like a peperami corndog) and Peperami Canniballs (little balls of baguette with a ball of peperami in the middle)
Also does anyone remember "Peperami Sarni"?
Reply 787
Astros <3

Snivel.

Also, can anyone remember the Bakery chain "Olivers the Baker"? They made THE best seeded bread... they seemed to get decimated by Greggs in the 90s and just disappeared.
Reply 789
Can we say drinks too? I'm not sure if anyone else said it but Vanilla Coke. I know they sell it down in the states but I absolutely loved that stuff. :frown:
Reply 790
lime milkshake
Reply 791
Original post by Fumi
Can we say drinks too? I'm not sure if anyone else said it but Vanilla Coke. I know they sell it down in the states but I absolutely loved that stuff. :frown:

i agree vanilla coke was the bomb,

Golden grahams, where the hell have they gone, i think i'd literally murder a man for a box a they bad boys!
Reply 792
Um bongo was mentioned back in this thread but i saw it in Sainsburys yesterday!
Original post by Mattcat
i agree vanilla coke was the bomb,

Golden grahams, where the hell have they gone, i think i'd literally murder a man for a box a they bad boys!

Golden Grahams are sold in Tesco.
Original post by El Nombre

The Eden collection from Thorntons was sexual. Fruit fondant fillings such as Pear and Passionfruit felt more 'special' than the usual lemon and strawberry. I always thought it was a popular collection, but for some reason, unbeknownst to me, they scrapped it. Their regular fruit cremes are nice, but they don't cut close.

Everyone in the house stayed clear of them as they didn't really like them :biggrin: They were so nice, bring them back!
Funny you should mention Um Bongo, I was saying to my friends I haven't see Um Bongo or:

Kia Ora for a lawwwwng time. They must just hide it.

These were the bran-van-doozle.
Does anyone remember MILK IN A CAN?! It used to be awesome, I remember these being in places like vending machines at the swimming baths etc. I used to get it all the time!

Reply 798
Original post by Mattcat

I was gutted when they disappared, but swear I saw them in tescos the other day, hurrah!

I miss Midnight mars bars (they come in and out very randomly)
Oh and Ready salted Mccoys, I loved them! Where have they gone :frown:
Reply 799
I can't remember the name of them but does anyone know if you can still buy those travel sweets (sat in what I think was icing sugar) in a gold tin? If yes, WHERE??

Latest