The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9700
Summer Season Preview Thread is done~!

Reply 9701
Original post by Aiko
Yeah, I'm still in New York, although we're thinking about moving back to London or possibly Tokyo in the next few years. Nothing concrete as of yet, but we're pretty certain we don't want to start a family here. :redface:

As for anime, hmm... Fate/Zero, which is currently airing, could be one to consider. It's a lot better than its sequel (yes, this is a prequel), Fate/Stay night, in my opinion, and definitely has plenty of action and a good story. Mirai Nikki is definitely one of the better ones to have aired recently, which I think you'd enjoy. Similarly, Deadman Wonderland is a lot of fun, even though its potential was wasted somewhat; definitely one to watch, though. If you're looking for something more like Naruto and One Piece, Ao no Exorcist recently finished. Anyway, I could go on and on and cite dozens, but hopefully one of the aforementioned will tickle your fancy. :tongue:

Ah right. Well I would definitely make the same choice as you if I were in your position :p: I personally didn't like the environment of NYC one tiny bit when I was there. I still see a few friends updates on facebook who were at my elementary school and I feel a bit sad for them because a lot of them had potential, but now they're on drugs, etc.. It's just not an environment I'd like to be in even though the city itself is amazing :frown:
Will definitely have a look at those! Thanks! :biggrin: Naruto not so much, but One Piece, definitely! :biggrin: By the way, I heard about Bleach not being aired anymore :laugh: I still remember when I used to LOVE it to bits :colondollar:
Original post by Aiko
Hi JC, nice to see that you're posting again after so long, and sorry for not responding until now. :redface: I'm actually at work and didn't bother to scan the thread before posting myself. :tongue:

I'm sorry to read about your relationship; it's something almost everyone has the misfortune of experiencing at some point or another. It seems like you've managed to overcome it, though. :hugs:

As for Guilty Crown, this was a colossal train wreck. The story was all over the place, as were the characters, but the animation was beautiful. I'd even go so far as to say some of the best I've seen televised, which you'd expect from I.G. So, yeah, a disappointment of sorts, even though I kind of enjoyed it, despite its shortcomings. :tongue:

Hey, I've been slightly busy here and there and didn't really have time for anime any more :frown: *That's perfectly understandable :laugh:
The relationship was alright, a bit of an unfortunate ending though haha but most of it's been taken care of :smile:
:laugh: I keep hearing that about Guilty Crown but it still seems very tempting to watch because it's so aesthetically pleasing :yep:*
Reply 9702
Original post by La Trampa
What's the anime in your sig? :redface:

Top one is Umineko no naku koro ni

Bottom one is Fate/Zero.
Reply 9703
Played some of Bastion which came with the humble bundle.

Found it to be alot of fun and I really like the art style.:smile: The soundtrack and this guy narrating your every move never gets old.:awesome:
Reply 9704
Original post by vin

Found it to be alot of fun and I really like the art style.:smile: The soundtrack and this guy narrating your every move never gets old.:awesome:

What are these games? I keep hearing of the humble bundle a lot but haven't actually heard of these games before :colondollar:

Like your avatar by the way :biggrin: I miss Ace though :sad:
Reply 9705
Original post by Revent
What are these games? I keep hearing of the humble bundle a lot but haven't actually heard of these games before :colondollar:

Like your avatar by the way :biggrin: I miss Ace though :sad:

Well they're games made by independent developers.:smile: Aside from bastion, most would be fairly unknown. But they are rather good.:smile: Had a brief go at amnesia... its too damn scary.:erm: And it runs very poorly on here.:erm:
Original post by vin

:ditto:, I bought it a few days ago solely for Bastion, and already played through the main story. My only slight complaint is that I found it a bit too easy, but at least that way the epic narration wasn't interrupted by me dying. :p:

As for the others, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is surprisingly fun, and I like Limbo too. Amnesia isn't my kind of game (:afraid:), and doesn't run well for me either. Psychonauts, I haven't actually played yet, but looks a bit childish to me. :s: I should probably give it a go though, as it seems to be the most popular of the lot among my friends (I'm guessing they've either already bought and played Bastion, or were too broke to pay more than the average to unlock it :giggle:).

Original post by Revent

http://www.humblebundle.com/ - as vin says, they're all indie titles, most of which have only been released via Steam or similar platforms. If you're interested, it might be worth looking up the game synopses on the Steam store (as well as the individual prices of those games, just to get an idea of the huge saving you'd make getting them from the Humble Bundle instead :p:).
Reply 9707
Original post by AngryJellyfish
:ditto:, I bought it a few days ago solely for Bastion, and already played through the main story. My only slight complaint is that I found it a bit too easy, but at least that way the epic narration wasn't interrupted by me dying. :p:

As for the others, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is surprisingly fun, and I like Limbo too. Amnesia isn't my kind of game (:afraid:), and doesn't run well for me either. Psychonauts, I haven't actually played yet, but looks a bit childish to me. :s: I should probably give it a go though, as it seems to be the most popular of the lot among my friends (I'm guessing they've either already bought and played Bastion, or were too broke to pay more than the average to unlock it :giggle:).

http://www.humblebundle.com/ - as vin says, they're all indie titles, most of which have only been released via Steam or similar platforms. If you're interested, it might be worth looking up the game synopses on the Steam store (as well as the individual prices of those games, just to get an idea of the huge saving you'd make getting them from the Humble Bundle instead :p:).

:laugh: Thanks, I'm looking into it now :smile:

Original post by vin
Well they're games made by independent developers.:smile: Aside from bastion, most would be fairly unknown. But they are rather good.:smile: Had a brief go at amnesia... its too damn scary.:erm: And it runs very poorly on here.:erm:

Ah right, that makes sense because I never heard of any of them :p: How's everything going though? :smile:

Edit: I just bought it for £9 :p: Wanted to give it above the average of like £3.80 or so but didn't want to give so much that I go broke :lol:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9708
Amnesia is terrifying. You'll piss yourself playing it but it'll all be worth it in the end, since its pretty much the best horror game to come out since Silent Hill 2, back in whenever.

Also Psychonauts is probably a very good Tim Shafer adventure game, considered by many to be one of the best games ever made, even if it didn't sell well at all.

Also just saw that JAST is getting ready to release School Days the VN. Not sure if want.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9709
Original post by Aiko
You never fail to make me smile, James, never. :giggle:

Good as if I didn't there wouldn't be much hope for my stand up would there :tongue:

Sadly it seems it was just a hoax. Though it seems some course mates are a little suspicious of me with my massive hate of course and most of the people who run it. This has of course made me rather proud of myself :proud:
Reply 9710
Ok, I've acquired my first dan rank and have become eligible to play in the league room (not the general one), and my god, what a huge difference. Putting aside the obvious difference in skill, they've removed the red and reserve dora, ippatsu and uradora, making it practically impossible to improve a bad hand. My first match in this room was thwart with difficulty (was up against one 4th-dan and two 7th-dan players). Thankfully, I didn't lose terribly, scraping second, only because the 4th-dan was hit hard. Anyway, I thought I was pretty good at Mahjong, but it seems I have a lot to learn before I can play evenly with the big boys and girls. :tongue:
Original post by Aiko
Ok, I've acquired my first dan rank and have become eligible to play in the league room (not the general one), and my god, what a huge difference. Putting aside the obvious difference in skill, they've removed the red and reserve dora, ippatsu and uradora, making it practically impossible to improve a bad hand. My first match in this room was thwart with difficulty (was up against one 4th-dan and two 7th-dan players). Thankfully, I didn't lose terribly, scraping second, only because the 4th-dan was hit hard. Anyway, I thought I was pretty good at Mahjong, but it seems I have a lot to learn before I can play evenly with the big boys and girls. :tongue:

i was like :wtf: until i saw the word mahjong :p: nice one, but i thought you said mahjong was mostly luck :p: might give it a proper go of learning it this summer if i dont end up being a :lazy: so and so
Reply 9712
Original post by eugenius 8
i was like :wtf: until i saw the word mahjong :p: nice one, but i thought you said mahjong was mostly luck :p: might give it a proper go of learning it this summer if i dont end up being a :lazy: so and so

Luck is still a significant factor, certainly. I'm beginning to question the luck of these monsters, though. :frown:
Original post by Aiko
Luck is still a significant factor, certainly. I'm beginning to question the luck of these monsters, though. :frown:

haha, aww :p:
Original post by Aiko

Clearly they're all Japanese school girls with magic eye powers. :yes:
:laugh:
Reply 9716
has anyone seen elfen lied?? It was a bit gory but I really liked it
Reply 9717
This is the game, for those interested:

Original post by Ysolt
has anyone seen elfen lied?? It was a bit gory but I really liked it

:five: yeah, loved it one of my fave series :yes:
Reply 9719
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Clearly they're all Japanese school girls with magic eye powers. :yes:

Given that the 7th-dan player was a 19 year old Japanese girl, quite possibly. :tongue:

Latest