The Student Room Group

What did you put in your Portfolio?

Hey there,

I have an interview in 12 days @ Bristol for Product Design and im looking forward to it.

Although there is 1 problem -- my portfolio --

Im in my A2 year and I really don't have much to gather and put into my portfolio.

Do I start work now? Sketches (relevant)?
I'm worried that ive only got my school work to present (altho it is good quality in my opinion) and nothing else to show...

Any suggestions on what type of work I should be doing?
Reply 1
In the same boat, the restrictiveness of work done for school/college really doesn't fit in with my self initiated works, not to mention the garbage being spewed from course tutors about work you do being property of the college and needing written permission to use it in my portfolio.

I'd say if you're not happy with the work don't include it and only go for your best works, self initiated usually being more suitable than coursework pieces. Hope your interview goes well and good luck!
Reply 2
Assuming you don't need to have a foundation year (or the course has a general first year) then the course directors and senior tutors will be well aware that applicants will have a lot of schoolwork. Include pieces most relevant to product design but also fine art-based things that show off your artistic ability.

Also, remember you need to be prepared to show how interested in the subject you are; it is very likely that you will be asked about the last exhibition you attended, your favourite designers and collectives, etc.

Good luck. ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest