The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Engineering and Architectural Design MEng portfolio and other requirements

Hi, I’m a year 12 international student who takes the IB diploma. I want to study architecture but I have realised too late that I need a portfolio to apply. Which means that I have never taken art in igcse or in IB. I’m at a place where I don’t have enough time to both do well in my studies and alongside that, prepare a portfolio. I was about to give up and go into design engineering instead (cuz I take maths AA HL, Physics HL and DT HL) but I saw on UCL’s website that the Engineering & Architectural design page didn’t say that a portfolio was required. Is this actually true? Or am I missing something? I’m having doubts because I saw on a forum here that someone sent in a portfolio for this course whilst applying. But unlike the Architecture course, this course didn’t specify anything about a portfolio on their website.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Chloe.26
Hi, I’m a year 12 international student who takes the IB diploma. I want to study architecture but I have realised too late that I need a portfolio to apply. Which means that I have never taken art in igcse or in IB. I’m at a place where I don’t have enough time to both do well in my studies and alongside that, prepare a portfolio. I was about to give up and go into design engineering instead (cuz I take maths AA HL, Physics HL and DT HL) but I saw on UCL’s website that the Engineering & Architectural design page didn’t say that a portfolio was required. Is this actually true? Or am I missing something? I’m having doubts because I saw on a forum here that someone sent in a portfolio for this course whilst applying. But unlike the Architecture course, this course didn’t specify anything about a portfolio on their website.

Ask the uni directly if a portfolio will be required. The subject information page gives this email address for further questions: [email protected].

My son is studying architecture and he did not take a creative subject at A level, but he managed to pull a portfolio together. You are taking DT, which will help (my son included a 3D piece from his DT GCSE in his portfolio). Could you try to put one together over the summer before you enter year 13?

If you Google manchester uni architecture portfolio blogspot, you will be able to see examples of portfolios submitted by undergraduate applicants.

Plymouth uni has some portfolio examples on its website:
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/ba-architecture/ba-hons-architecture-applicant-portfolio-advice

Also, take a look at the following thread where there is a lot of good advice on developing a portfolio:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7133652

Also, different unis request different things to be included in portfolios so be prepared to adapt it with each application.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

I'm going to study Engineering and Architectural Design MEng next year (given my a-levels go well)
I had to do a portfolio. but it's quite brief. you submit up to ten things which could include drawings/artwork, code, physical toys, or anything 'creative'.
but they only ask for this to understand your personality better and it's not a competition for who can paint the best paintings. my portfolio was pretty weak compared to my friends who applied for architecture at UCL. but here I am with an AAA offer from UCL. oh, the main bit is the INTERVIEW - preparing for that is much more important.
Reply 3
Thank you so much! Is this very different to what an Architecture course portfolio would be? Would I have to include any writing/description or do I just submit photos of my creative work only? Thank you!

Original post by Mkmkmkvv
I'm going to study Engineering and Architectural Design MEng next year (given my a-levels go well)
I had to do a portfolio. but it's quite brief. you submit up to ten things which could include drawings/artwork, code, physical toys, or anything 'creative'.
but they only ask for this to understand your personality better and it's not a competition for who can paint the best paintings. my portfolio was pretty weak compared to my friends who applied for architecture at UCL. but here I am with an AAA offer from UCL. oh, the main bit is the INTERVIEW - preparing for that is much more important.
Thank you so much! Is this very different to what an Architecture course portfolio would be? Would I have to include any writing/description or do I just submit photos of my creative work only? Thank you!

The people I know who got into architecture at UCL, they did a properly-well organised portfolio on Microsoft Powerpoint. They showed many pictures/artworks/etc with descriptions of what they did/why they did it and some analysis. The Architecture portfolios seem to be much higher than the MEng Engineering and Architectural Design portfolio. Overall, I suggest you make your Architecture portfolio really really good as it's better to overdo it than underdo it.
Original post by Mkmkmkvv

Hi, I'm going to apply for the same course at UCL however they want a 7 in GCSE physics if not studied in A level. I don't have a 7 in GCSE but I do do maths A level so would it affect my chances in getting in?
Original post by alevelstudent743
Hi, I'm going to apply for the same course at UCL however they want a 7 in GCSE physics if not studied in A level. I don't have a 7 in GCSE but I do do maths A level so would it affect my chances in getting in?

Yes - GCSE requirements are usually mandatory. Can you retake your physics GCSE alongside your A levels?
I don't think I can retake GCSE physics as I'm focusing on more of my A levels and don't have the time for it. Should I email UCL about this?

Original post by normaw
Yes - GCSE requirements are usually mandatory. Can you retake your physics GCSE alongside your A levels?
Original post by alevelstudent743
I don't think I can retake GCSE physics as I'm focusing on more of my A levels and don't have the time for it. Should I email UCL about this?

Yes I would otherwise it could be a wasted choice on your UCAS application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending