The Student Room Group

Nottingham vs Durham for international relations

I am really lost... have offers from these unis but dont know which one to choose as firm

Durham is higher in the league and more prestigious but the course is new
Politics is Nottingham's strong point but not so much for Durham
Durham is really far away but safer
Nottingham is not so far but has high crime rates
Nottingham has great nightlife but Durham doesnt
Nottingham's course looks more diverse and interesting

After my undergraduate course I plan to go on a postgrad degree... Which uni will give me better prospects to get a good postgraduate degree at a university such as LSE? Which one has better job prospects?
Reply 1
Anyone? :frown:
Reply 2
well what do you value more?
uni prestige or course prestige?
to be further away or safer? (and i know people who go notts and havent witnessed crime)
to have a good nightlife or not?
to have an interesting course, or be bored by lectures?

i think youve already decided anyways
Sorry, but this is now the 7th thread you've posted asking for help about this. Plenty of people have given you advice/things to think about in your other threads, do you think you're going to gain some magical insight that will help you choose if you just keep asking the same question over and over?

Go visit both if you can, then pick the one you like.
Reply 4
Original post by f00ddude
well what do you value more?
uni prestige or course prestige?
to be further away or safer? (and i know people who go notts and havent witnessed crime)
to have a good nightlife or not?
to have an interesting course, or be bored by lectures?

i think youve already decided anyways

How so? And which one?
Reply 5
Original post by Marie-Claire
Sorry, but this is now the 7th thread you've posted asking for help about this. Plenty of people have given you advice/things to think about in your other threads, do you think you're going to gain some magical insight that will help you choose if you just keep asking the same question over and over?

Go visit both if you can, then pick the one you like.

No1 has yet told me whether it is the Uni prestiege or the course prestiege that matters most for postgraduate admissions and job prospects...
Reply 6
Original post by Misha 938
How so? And which one?

you seem to be much more in favour of notts
which tbh for politics and ir probably makes more sense anyways
Reply 7
you seem to be much more in favour of notts
which tbh for politics and ir probably makes more sense anyways

Hehe Im actually for Durham, going to visit it in a few days... My biggest concern is whether I can handle Durham's IR course... It looks quiet hard
No1 has yet told me whether it is the Uni prestiege or the course prestiege that matters most for postgraduate admissions and job prospects...

For postgrad admissions, they're probably about equal, assuming that you have strong grades. For job prospects, it depends. If you are applying somewhere where they have a strong knowledge of the strengths & reputations of IR courses, then that will be a factor, but I'd think that most employers would see that you had done IR at a good university, and in that sense, there's little difference between the two.
Reply 9
Hehe Im actually for Durham, going to visit it in a few days... My biggest concern is whether I can handle Durham's IR course... It looks quiet hard

im doing ir atm, no matter where you go its not gunna be easy theres a lot of reading and its a lot harder to find relative stuff for essays online. interesting though and at least 1st years a doss where i am
Reply 10
im doing ir atm, no matter where you go its not gunna be easy theres a lot of reading and its a lot harder to find relative stuff for essays online. interesting though and at least 1st years a doss where i am

Where are u doing it at? So is it really hard? I kinda saw it as more interesting and diverse version of politics... Am I wrong?
Reply 11

One of my aunts work in postgrad admissions. For postgrad courses, she looks at the course rankings, as opposed to overall university ranking. Employers tend to go by prestige of the whole university.
Reply 12
Where are u doing it at? So is it really hard? I kinda saw it as more interesting and diverse version of politics... Am I wrong?

plymouth which aint a great overall uni tbf, and yeh its deffinatley interesting, especially when you like politics, but when it comes down to the essays and stuff its a bit more difficult than politics to find referencable further reading sources, a lot of the essays will be very difficult to find credible online sites, just makes it a little harder to blag and still get a good grade
Reply 13
plymouth which aint a great overall uni tbf, and yeh its deffinatley interesting, especially when you like politics, but when it comes down to the essays and stuff its a bit more difficult than politics to find referencable further reading sources, a lot of the essays will be very difficult to find credible online sites, just makes it a little harder to blag and still get a good grade

Shame since I do love a fair share of educated bull**** :biggrin:
Reply 14

Would you say it is harder or easier than politics?
Reply 15
Would you say it is harder or easier than politics?

wouldnt really say harder, just requires more work, politics is my minor and when it comes to research theres much more material available. they have a very similar style about them though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending