The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University vs. The University of Nottingham

Is there a big difference between Durham and Nottingham? I've got offers from both for Engineering, but I have not yet decided which I should put as Firm or Insurance.
If you're just choosing between the two, Nottingham generally has lower grades than Durham so it would make sense to put Durham as firm and Nottingham as insurance.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply.

If I meet my predicted grades, I will be able to achieve both of them. I won't disclose my full entry requirements, given that this is in public and just in case people can work out who I am. What I will say is that although the wording of the offers may differ slightly, their difficulty is about the same. This is where the problem of choosing between the two lies. Durham has a subject specific requirement, but lower grades. With Nottingham, I can fulfill the requirements in any of my subjects, but with higher grades. They are also going to give me an unconditional offer if I Firm it.

I am not sure how much you know about the U.K. Engineering league tables, but Durham is number 5 and Nottingham is number 6. On a whole though, for all subjects, Durham is higher up.

Plus, I am still waiting on a decision from one more university. I am trying to think ahead, in the eventuality that I do not get an offer from there.
Reply 3
You don't have to choose right now, got to an offer holder day for each when they start doing them, you can make a decision after getting a better feel for the unis and talking to current students.
Reply 4
There is an enormous difference between Durham and Nottingham. Durham has far more prestige; it’s known as the uni you go to when you didn’t make Oxbridge. During freshers at Durham a lot of people will ask “Oxford or Cambridge reject?”, people won’t be asking that question at Nottingham.
Original post by A02ft1
There is an enormous difference between Durham and Nottingham. Durham has far more prestige; it’s known as the uni you go to when you didn’t make Oxbridge. During freshers at Durham a lot of people will ask “Oxford or Cambridge reject?”, people won’t be asking that question at Nottingham.

Why do people even ask that? It’s usually such a negative topic to bring up when you first meet someone
Nottingham is more urban as a city than Durham I believe.

Durham is a more prestigious uni
Reply 7
Original post by A02ft1

Original post by SuperHuman98
Nottingham is more urban as a city than Durham I believe.

Durham is a more prestigious uni

Thank you, A02ft1 and SuperHuman98, for both responding to my thread posted last year.

Yes - I was one of the many Oxbridge rejects post-interview (in my case, Oxford). I wanted to say that I decided upon Nottingham for Civil Engineering in the end. I won't disclose the reasons why, given that this is in public and just in case people can work out who I am. What I will say is that there were many factors involved in my final decision.
Reply 8
Hi,

I know it's been years and this is a long shot, but I wanted to ask if you preferred Durham or Nottingham? I know you said you chose the latter but I felt you implied that maybe you chose it despite not really wanting to go there?
Dunno if I'm reading too much into it, but please let me know as I'm in the same situation.

Quick Reply

Latest