The Student Room Group

Am i too young to go to universty?

Basically i skipped a year, year 9, and went straight into year 10. I did my GCSEs a year early.... got decent grades. Im now in AS and I am taking Art, Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

I wanna go to uni as soon as i finish my A-levels. Im planning to do Medicine or Dentistry (hopefully).... but the problem is Im not sure if top universities will accept me because im a year younger.

Does it make a difference that im a year younger?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
If anything, being a year younger will work in your favour.
Original post by haz864
Basically i skipped a year, year 9, and went straight into year 10. I did my GCSEs a year early.... got decent grades. Im now in AS and I am taking Art, Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

Iwanna go to uni as soon as i finish my A-levels. Im planning to do Medicine or Dentistry (hopefully).... but the problem is Im not sure if top universities will accept me because im a year younger.

You have to check with individual universities for confirmation. For example Imperial Medicine says, "Candidates below the age of 18 on the first day of the course in October 2010 will not be admitted to the course."
Reply 3
Are you sure you would want to do that though? I mean, fair enough you want to get there quickly, but when you think about it, a large part of uni is going to be your social life and would you feel like you were missing out if you were unable to get served when going out with all your friends?
Reply 4
Original post by Hannahm6
Are you sure you would want to do that though? I mean, fair enough you want to get there quickly, but when you think about it, a large part of uni is going to be your social life and would you feel like you were missing out if you were unable to get served when going out with all your friends?

No
Reply 5
Original post by Hannahm6
a large part of uni is going to be your social life

Not on a top medicine/dentistry course, or so I've heard :awesome:

OP - I'd recommend contacting the universities individually if they don't have stated policies on their websites.
Reply 6
Well if you live then halls then yes. Though going to univeristy i knew a girl who was going to univeristy at the age of 16. So i do not see anything wrong. Though i see it as a shame that you will be stress of being in uni and everything much earlier then others. Still what a genius i say. {:smile:]
You have to be 17 to do Medicine or Dentistry I think, but since you're in England I think you'll be 17 anyway?
Reply 8
Original post by haz864

Iwanna go to uni as soon as i finish my A-levels. Im planning to do Medicine or Dentistry (hopefully).... but the problem is Im not sure if top universities will accept me because im a year younger.

Many people go to uni a year younger. However, for Medical courses I think usually you have to be at least 18.
Reply 9
You should be fine but you'll have to check with the universities you apply for.
(edited 13 years ago)
Some medical schools specify that you have to be 18 by a certain date. Scottish schools are likely to be more lenient given that a lot of scottish students start uni aged 17, so you'd also stand out less in regards to your age. It depends at what point in the year your birthday is though, as you need to turn 18 by a certain point in the following year.
I don't know if I'd want to do that tbh. If it was me, I think I would take a gap year and then go to uni.
Reply 12
I was moved up a year and got a deferred place at LSE, I thought about it for along time but I just didn't see the point in going to uni at 17, I hate being out with my friends and constantly worrying I'm going to get ID'd, it really takes the fun out of it, and plus you won't be able to get overdrafts etc and, depending on when you turn 18, you might not be able to sign a contract for a house for your 2nd year if that's what you're planning on doing.
Also, I spoke to my uni about it and they said if I went into halls at 17 then I would have to check in with someone every couple of days just to make sure I wasn't dead or on crack or whatever, I just don't think it's worth it.
Hey! I finished school at 17 too... I want to do medicine and got an offer for deferred entry to Imperial which I'll be taking up in October... There are some medical courses for which you have to be 18, but not all (eg. Oxford, Kings...). As I don't live in the UK i was able to do a year of uni in my own country though and I think that in general it's fine being younger... However, people are more surprised than they were in school when they find out I'm younger and a LOT of my friends are a far bit older (2 years+). Also I found that I didn't go out much out of fear of being ID'd... But if you feel that you are up for it then I say go for it... I know I would have if Imperial had let me :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending