The Student Room Group

Getting into teaching without a degree?

I am looking at a possible career change into teaching, I have always flirted with the idea but I now feel it is the path I want to go down.

I would like to get into teaching Computing, it is one of my passions that I'd like to share.

I studied Computing at Universty but never completed my full undergraduate degree, I did achieve a HND though.

I was wondering if it is still possible to get into teaching as a lot I've read says you need a degree. If anyone can give me any advice on possible avenues to explore it would be highly appreciated!
Original post by joola9
I am looking at a possible career change into teaching, I have always flirted with the idea but I now feel it is the path I want to go down.

I would like to get into teaching Computing, it is one of my passions that I'd like to share.

I studied Computing at Universty but never completed my full undergraduate degree, I did achieve a HND though.

I was wondering if it is still possible to get into teaching as a lot I've read says you need a degree. If anyone can give me any advice on possible avenues to explore it would be highly appreciated!

Hi there!

I'm really sorry to say but as far as I'm aware (and have researched), you cannot apply for a PGCE without having completed, or being in the final year of an undergraduate degree: . However, you could still become a teaching assistant or higher level teaching assistant without needing a degree to do so, but courses in those areas are essential also. I'm sorry if this comes as a disappointment to do, but I hope that you find something that you enjoy doing in the realm of computing which is similar. I mean, perhaps it would be an option for you to retake your final year in the computing degree?

I wish you the best of luck for the future.

Rachel- YSJ student rep
Original post by joola9

Hello @joola9

Your research is accurate - Teaching is a graduate profession, and as such you'd need to get a degree. You may be able to use your HND, to reduce the length of a degree course, (ie start your course in Yr 2 of 3) and then complete post-grad teacher training, or you could consider a degree that also wards QTS (Qualified Teaching Status)

Depending on the type of experience you have, you could consider teaching in the FE or independent sector, where a teaching qual is not mandatory.

Wishing you all the best, Jane
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hello @joola9

Your research is accurate - Teaching is a graduate profession, and as such you'd need to get a degree. You may be able to use your HND, to reduce the length of a degree course, (ie start your course in Yr 2 of 3) and then complete post-grad teacher training, or you could consider a degree that also wards QTS (Qualified Teaching Status)

Depending on the type of experience you have, you could consider teaching in the FE or independent sector, where a teaching qual is not mandatory.

Wishing you all the best, Jane

Original post by joola9

@joola9
Hi! To build on the brilliant advice you have already received, if you wanted to teach in the Further Education sector it might be beneficial to do a course such as a The Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training - there is a great overview of what it involves on this Indeed article

https://uk.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/how-to-become-a-teacher-without-a-degree

I would speak to the admissions tutor at your local F.E college to see if they have a University centre that runs it, that way, you can go into detail about your specific situation a bit more

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending