The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Original post by soulmailers
How long does it take to Dundee by bus,train or whatever?

about half an hour.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
How much is the service charge if I withdraw money at any ATMs at St Andrews from my HSBC account?

o_O That's a new one. Do you usually incur a charge when you use it with ordinary cash machines? If you do, then expect that to happen here. If you don't, then you probably won't. I'm not aware of any of the 'normal' cash machines in town liking to charge people in general, although the one at DRA likes to take a pound off everyone if I'm remembering correctly (there's a good reason I've never used it).

I imagine someone in St Andrews with a HSBC account might be able to help more, or you could see if the HSBC can offer any general information on the situation. Unless your account/card is very peculiar in some way, I would be surprised if you got charged when using any of the normal cash machines in town.
I think that this is perhaps a stupid question but here goes... I have a pet snake and i dont really know what to do with her while i'm at university. I have contacted all the local pet stores in the area to see whether they had space i could rent but alas... Basically my sister is willing to look after her for the first year while I'm in uni accomidation but after that she cant since she will be going to university herself. Anyway i was wondering what the general policy of landlords is when it comes to exotic pets? She doesnt smell or anything cause i clean her often, wouldnt cause anyone allergic reactions since she doesnt have fur (beleive it or not) and i have had her for five years without a single escape... I know its a stupid question but i really dont want to have to sell her :frown:
Original post by KThackery
I think that this is perhaps a stupid question but here goes... I have a pet snake and i dont really know what to do with her while i'm at university. I have contacted all the local pet stores in the area to see whether they had space i could rent but alas... Basically my sister is willing to look after her for the first year while I'm in uni accomidation but after that she cant since she will be going to university herself. Anyway i was wondering what the general policy of landlords is when it comes to exotic pets? She doesnt smell or anything cause i clean her often, wouldnt cause anyone allergic reactions since she doesnt have fur (beleive it or not) and i have had her for five years without a single escape... I know its a stupid question but i really dont want to have to sell her :frown:

I'm sorry, but it looks like you will have to :frown:
http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/students/accommodation/faq/hallsofresidence/#faqFacilities

Am I allowed pets in my room?

No - all pets are strictly forbidden in all University property.

Edit: ahh sorry, private property might work!
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi I was thinking of applying to st andrews to do a languages course (French, Spanish and Italian) and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the course is like, I 've looked at the website but I thought a student opinion would give a bit more insight. Thanks
Reply 5985
Original post by KThackery

Most landlords say no pets but if you get somewhere that has a private landlord rather than through one of the agencies, your landlord might agree but it's unlikely.
Landlords do have to give you notice if they are coming to inspect so you could keep it and move it to a friends if you are having an inspection. However, that is a pretty big risk and if your landlord finds out, they can evict you.
Original post by Oh-WOW
Most landlords say no pets but if you get somewhere that has a private landlord rather than through one of the agencies, your landlord might agree but it's unlikely.
Landlords do have to give you notice if they are coming to inspect so you could keep it and move it to a friends if you are having an inspection. However, that is a pretty big risk and if your landlord finds out, they can evict you.

Ok thanks... yeah its a hard one cause if i sneak her in and am found out then i wouldn't be able to get good references for any other place i live (particularly important i assume given how little St Andrews is). I'll give it some thought and ask around during my first year i guess :smile:
are there any HSBC ATMs at St Andrews? :smile:
Reply 5988
are there any HSBC ATMs at St Andrews? :smile:

Not as far as I know as there isn't an HSBC.
But I don't understand why you are so concerned about bank charges. Most cash machines, even by other banks, are completely free. I'm with a bank that only exists in Northern Ireland and use all the cash machines in St Andrews and never get charged!
I know the RBS ones outside Tesco and the union are and all the ones at the actual banks are free as well.
The only cash machines that usually charge are like the weird small ones you get in like corner shops and things.. there's probably some of them around town but you just avoid them if there is (I've never noticed any).
The ATM outside New Hall will charge and apparently so will the one in DRA, but all the others are free to use for members of any (British) bank!
Reply 5991
Original post by Bella_trixxx
The ATM outside New Hall will charge and apparently so will the one in DRA, but all the others are free to use for members of any (British) bank!

Speaking about bank accounts... We do have the Bank of Scotland in Germany, so does anybody have a clue whether, if I open an account there, I could get cash free of charge in Britain, too? I sent them an email to ask, but they just sent me some unhelpul automatic reply...
Reply 5992
Original post by Sappho
Speaking about bank accounts... We do have the Bank of Scotland in Germany, so does anybody have a clue whether, if I open an account there, I could get cash free of charge in Britain, too? I sent them an email to ask, but they just sent me some unhelpul automatic reply...

Do you mean you actually have the Bank of Scotland in Germany or just another bank, with another name but owned by the same brand?
Because if it's the latter, then you can't do that. Theres a few Northern Irish banks owned by the same brand as a few banks here but they wont let me use my account in both banks.
Reply 5993
Original post by Oh-WOW
Do you mean you actually have the Bank of Scotland in Germany or just another bank, with another name but owned by the same brand?
Because if it's the latter, then you can't do that. Theres a few Northern Irish banks owned by the same brand as a few banks here but they wont let me use my account in both banks.

Um, not sure whether I get what you meant. They have the same name: http://www.bankofscotland.de/de.html
Reply 5994
Original post by Sappho
Um, not sure whether I get what you meant. They have the same name: http://www.bankofscotland.de/de.html

Hm I'm not sure then.
You'll have to wait and see what they say.
In Northern Ireland, we have Ulster Bank, which is a subsiduary bank of Royal Bank of Scotland but I can't use my RBS account with them when I go home.
Reply 5995
Original post by Sappho

Original post by Oh-WOW

I actually just found the answer on their website, they say I can't use one of their German accounts in Britain. Hm, does anyone here actually have a similar problem or a good solution for this? Will I need two bank accounts?
Original post by Sappho
I actually just found the answer on their website, they say I can't use one of their German accounts in Britain. Hm, does anyone here actually have a similar problem or a good solution for this? Will I need two bank accounts?

Unless you want to be paying fees every time you use your card to change the money from euros to pounds, then yes.

From what I gather, most non-UK students open a UK bank account with one of the banks here in freshers week and then transfer a lump of money into it from their account back home, and repeat when necessary.
Reply 5997
How much is the service charge if I withdraw money at any ATMs at St Andrews from my HSBC account?

You can draw it for free from any standard ATM, all the town centre ones are free as far as I know and they don't charge you to use another banks machine!
Reply 5998
Original post by leungzero
Sup! :biggrin:
i will be joining everyone of you soon, and firstly want to say hello to everyone.
Secondly please would you mind answering the following questions:

1). I dont really know what subject I really want to do, but I applied to Mathematics, which I truely believed that this is a subject that I dont enjoy the most but somehow I am quite good at it. I was told by someone that I can choose 2 extra subjects in the beginning of 1st term 1st year along side with Maths and I can change my MAIN subject after the 1st term, is this true? and is it easy to do? I am thinking of doing maths, computer science and phychology or international relation. I prob will get at least 2A*, 2A and 1B in GCE Alevel (not trying to show off) so i should meet the other conditions

I was actually in the exact same boat as you and started this year studying Maths, Compsci and Psych but decided that Compsci was for me so changed my 2nd Semster choices to just Compsci and changes degree. I literally walked out a Maths lecture bored emailed my adviser and switched degrees before the lecture was even over.

So yes you can do multiple subjects then switch. How easy it is to switch depends on the dept. I had a mate who cam to do Spanish and IR and wasn't allowed to drop Spanish until 2nd year when he decided it wasn't for him. But I said I had no problem changing from Maths

2). usually how many clubs can I join? because I will definitely joining tennis (i am currently capt of tennis in my school, in England), badminton (first team first pair in my school) and golf (handicap around 25, started 1 year), but I would also want to try more different clubs as a beginner like windsurfing and fencing probably, will this take too much time? and whether people are happy for beginners to join? like are there also alot of people trying new stuffz?

I'm afraid I don't know much about the sports clubs but most people I know who are involved in them are involved fairly heavily in one and then might do a few more on a smaller scale.

3.) Is there a website that tells me about info about non-sport clubs in St Andrews?

yourunion.net has some info but it's not a great site. Tell us what your interested in and someone might be involved. I'm personally involved a lot in Mermaids - effectively the theater society though not an actual society. So if your interested ask away!

4.) Are students in st andrews generally friendly? (what a stupid question but someone told me about this) And are there alot of freshmen events in the beginning of year?? because I sort of went to UCL and I see so many people ending up alone by themselves, and I hope I wont be one of them.

St Andrews has a lot of close communities. You'll probably end up with a close group of hall friends, most people do. And as you get on you'll end up with subject mates too. Most people end up involved heavily in a society or two too and most of the societies are really close-nit but also very welcoming so if you get involved, especially in freshers week and the start of term, then you'll have plenty of mates!

5.) Do you st andrews students find st andrews boring sometimes, because do you ppl just hit the pub everyday since there is no club, or do you make ur own 'club' in accomodations and smash the common room up??? what sort of stuffz to do you do when u ppl r bored.

thats it at the moment :smile:

Depends who you hang around with. Generally we make our own entertainment. House Parties and Bonfires are the norm. I promise you if you get good parents you will have some of the best house parties of your life during raisin weekend. I'm a geek so my mates have a lot of drunken film and gaming nights!

Just remember that no matter how great a rock climber you are when you're drunk stay away from the cliffs!!!!!
Reply 5999
Right, I know my questions are rather silly but..

*Just to check when reading the entry requirements on the StA website it only shows you the first sitting requirements for Higher.. What about the second sitting? Do they prefer people with only 1 sitting?

*Can someone tell whoever makes the StA website to change it? It's the most confusing university website I've ever seen - they don't really make it easy for you to see how the course works and what you do etc. :L

Latest

Trending

Trending