The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Demented Guy
Essentially an elitist club of individuals I personally want to know little of. For starters, the ball (to my mind, ANY ball) is essentially an excuse for people to get very drunk in posh clothing and show how supposedly sophisticated they are.

how many people go to these balls? I know there is one during freshers, but I'm not sure if I really want to go.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by rumbles_ubamba
how many people go to these balls? I know there is one during freshers, but I'm not sure if I really want to go.

A lot of people. It isn't during freshers it's in October.

Essentially an elitist club of individuals I personally want to know little of. For starters, the ball (to my mind, ANY ball) is essentially an excuse for people to get very drunk in posh clothing and show how supposedly sophisticated they are.

That's not entirely fair. They got Duke dumont to play May Ball which was incredible. It isn't just "posh rich people" who go to May Ball or indeed any ball in St. Andrews. A lot of people like dressing up and having a nice time
Original post by Calllu-m

That's not entirely fair. They got Duke dumont to play May Ball which was incredible. It isn't just "posh rich people" who go to May Ball or indeed any ball in St. Andrews. A lot of people like dressing up and having a nice time

Fair enough, each to their own. I personally think that spending absurd amounts of money on a suit to dance to some (usually terrible) music with booze is not entertaining, especially considering a) the problem St Andrews has with its' reputation among poorer students, b) the affordability of the clothes that most wear (I am not poor, though am totally anti-consumeristic) and I find the cost absurd. I also doubt I would agree with what you mean by a nice time, which isn't provided by being semi-drunken and out of control in a building with lots of others in a similar way.

To answer the question before, not everyone, but a fair portion go to the balls.

I struggle in a place like St Andrews, purely because it is a very (contrary to denials of students) posh often bordering on snobbish place, among some sections of the student community (which to my mind the KKC represent.

Then again, I hold very left wing political beliefs, and practice a life of comparative social isolation, most people are fine and perfectly amiable, most very, very nice, but you do get a fair few snobs as well. Just as in life really.
Original post by Calllu-m

Really? Because I thought I heard that the Saint is hosting one during freshers week. I could be wrong though..
Original post by rumbles_ubamba
Really? Because I thought I heard that the Saint is hosting one during freshers week. I could be wrong though..

That's completely different to the Kate Kennedy Opening Ball. New saint at the Old Course isn't as big a deal as the KKC Opening Ball
Fair enough, each to their own. I personally think that spending absurd amounts of money on a suit to dance to some (usually terrible) music with booze is not entertaining, especially considering a) the problem St Andrews has with its' reputation among poorer students, b) the affordability of the clothes that most wear (I am not poor, though am totally anti-consumeristic) and I find the cost absurd. I also doubt I would agree with what you mean by a nice time, which isn't provided by being semi-drunken and out of control in a building with lots of others in a similar way.

To answer the question before, not everyone, but a fair portion go to the balls.

I struggle in a place like St Andrews, purely because it is a very (contrary to denials of students) posh often bordering on snobbish place, among some sections of the student community (which to my mind the KKC represent.

Then again, I hold very left wing political beliefs, and practice a life of comparative social isolation, most people are fine and perfectly amiable, most very, very nice, but you do get a fair few snobs as well. Just as in life really.

There certainly is a 'type' at St Andrews. Pretentious, though not necessarily well off. If you called this out for what it was or wanted to steer breakfast talk away from the surface area of toast then you got funny looks. Not just my experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would anyone happen to know the likelihood of being let in to a course on the minimum requirement/likely grades? I just got my results back AABBC which I think is enough for Classical Studies.

I love going to balls and dinners in St Andrews and all of my dresses have either been secondhand or handmade. There's some pretty good stuff in the charity shops here so going to balls doesn't have to be a bank-breaking or "consumeristic" experience.
So I've got the grades I need for direct entry to the second year of an MMath degree and when I went to pick my modules I discovered that the compulsory modules for the second year add up to 120 credits, does that mean that I can't pick additional modules from other courses(e.g Computer Science).
Also the MT2501 Linear Mathematics module is taught in both Semesters so do I attend in both semesters or is it timetabled for both semesters so that we can attend in one semester or the other to avoid timetable clashes (as the module is compulsory for several different courses)?
Hiya, that might be a stupid question, but I want to make sure.

I just got into MA Psychology at St Andrews and will soon come to choosing my additional modules which, so far is a bit confusing to me.
I was wondering, if I study MA Psychology (arts), can I add Biology as one of my additional modules even if I haven't done Higher Biology in the past (therefore no real Biology basis)?

Any answers will be appreciated!
Original post by EileenFox
Hiya, that might be a stupid question, but I want to make sure.

I just got into MA Psychology at St Andrews and will soon come to choosing my additional modules which, so far is a bit confusing to me.
I was wondering, if I study MA Psychology (arts), can I add Biology as one of my additional modules even if I haven't done Higher Biology in the past (therefore no real Biology basis)?

Any answers will be appreciated!

Hi, if you check the course catalogue for biology then the pre-requisites for each module should be in there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with this completely.
Hi everyone !

I will be moving to St Andrews in september and I am planning on getting a part time job. I will need to open a bank account, and I am struggling because all the information on the St Andrews website isn't really helpful. I currently live in France so I wouldn't be able to get a Student Account because you need a three year address history in the UK. (too bad for the Santander railcard... on the phone they didn't sound like they would be ok to get me one anyway). The other option is an International account, but they do charge about 20£/month for that...
Could anyone help me with this ? I emailed the moneymatters office in St Andrews to ask what international students in the same situation usually do, but they couldn't tell me. Surely there are other people in my case out there ? What would be the best option ?

Thank you so much !
Reply 8773
Got some flyers in an envelope labeled UCAS Media. One was for The Young Persons Coachcard; for 5 pounds a year, you get 1/3 off normal fare for coach travel. Worth getting or does the St. A Student Association card get you a similar discount?
Original post by barefootblue
Hi everyone !

I will be moving to St Andrews in september and I am planning on getting a part time job. I will need to open a bank account, and I am struggling because all the information on the St Andrews website isn't really helpful. I currently live in France so I wouldn't be able to get a Student Account because you need a three year address history in the UK. (too bad for the Santander railcard... on the phone they didn't sound like they would be ok to get me one anyway). The other option is an International account, but they do charge about 20£/month for that...
Could anyone help me with this ? I emailed the moneymatters office in St Andrews to ask what international students in the same situation usually do, but they couldn't tell me. Surely there are other people in my case out there ? What would be the best option ?

Thank you so much !

This was 2 years ago, but my son (who is American) had no trouble setting up a regular current (checking) account with Lloyds (now TSB). I believe all they needed was a bank letter that you can generate on e-Vision from the uni that includes your UK address and specifies what you are studying. Plus your passport, money to deposit, etc. Good luck!
Original post by cbredear
This was 2 years ago, but my son (who is American) had no trouble setting up a regular current (checking) account with Lloyds (now TSB). I believe all they needed was a bank letter that you can generate on e-Vision from the uni that includes your UK address and specifies what you are studying. Plus your passport, money to deposit, etc. Good luck!

Alright ! thank you so much :smile:
Hi, I've just secured my place at St. Andrews but I haven't actually received any emails or anything from the uni, except the confirmation of place email. Is this normal or should I have received reading lists and things about arrival?
Original post by j3r3mybush3ll
Hi, I've just secured my place at St. Andrews but I haven't actually received any emails or anything from the uni, except the confirmation of place email. Is this normal or should I have received reading lists and things about arrival?

Congratulations on your place :smile: Looking back to when I was in your position, I received an email about "entrant information" on about the 21st August, then an accommodation offer and some info about Freshers' a couple of days later. The first email will probably ask you to set up your St Andrews email address, and then subsequent emails will be sent there. Information about online matriculation and advising was sent in early September.

Reading lists don't tend to be sent out, but you can check here as to which books you might need. Generally there will only be a couple that are recommended for purchase (ie. set texts or general overviews), and the rest are there to give you a wide range to use when writing essays or preparing for tutorials etc. (so don't be concerned at their length - my first year history module had a reading list of over 500 items)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8778
The Saint has published several lists about what to bring to wet and windy St Andrews. What do current students like to add or qualify?

http://www.thesaint-online.com
Original post by nml181
The Saint has published several lists about what to bring to wet and windy St Andrews. What do current students like to add or qualify?

http://www.thesaint-online.com

I'm not going to go scan all their lists, but there are definitely a few things you should bring.

Rainboots - Self-explanatory. It rains a lot here, and it's no fun stepping in puddles in non-waterproof boots.

Raincoat - Because of the wind, umbrellas aren't always useable.

Layers - the temperature can go from freezing to boiling in the space of a few hours, so you can add and remove layers as necessary.

Then if you plan on going to parties/balls bring something to wear to that. After that, everything you bring comes down to what you like to wear.

Latest

Trending

Trending