The Student Room Group

Learning German language: The German Learners' Society (MKII)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannah_dru
I've never seen any German texts written in text language tbh...will have to ask!

hi hannah_dru,

what is text language?
Original post by grizzlybär
hi hannah_dru,

what is text language?

Hi grizzlybaer,

Text language ist z.B. wenn man sowas wie "Hi m8, how r u?" schreibt (Alter, wie geht's?)
ah, na dann brauchst Du mich schon mal nicht fragen, ich hab' keine Ahnung, ob's das im Deutschen auch gibt.
Original post by grizzlybär
ah, na dann brauchst Du mich schon mal nicht fragen, ich hab' keine Ahnung, ob's das im Deutschen auch gibt.

es gibt sicher!..auf jeden Fall!..es gibt so "text language" in jeder Sprache
Original post by jakemittle
es gibt sicher!..auf jeden Fall!..es gibt so "text language" in jeder Sprache

I remember asking my exchange student a few years back and she said there isn't such a thing in German. I reckon the closest thing you'll get is like what was stated above; when they uses 'nen for example instead of einen or hab' instead of habe...but that's not text speak.
ich hab' nachgedacht: Gute N8!

wenn ich Zeit habe, recherchiere ich mal, da muss sich doch was finden lassen.
Reply 1926
Mir würde noch

8ung (Achtung) einfallen.

Der Rest ist doch sehr aus dem Englischen übernommen. Würde mich aber auch mal interessieren ob es da noch mehr von gibt.
Reply 1927
Basically! To give you an example "As Liasal håd se an Hàxn/Hàx brocha" (Lisa hat sich das Bein gebrochen).

:lolwut:
From my limited knowledge of them (jag talar lite svenska nu! :ahee:), it sounds more similar to the Scandinavian languages or an outdated form of English (Chaucer, in the original?) than to actual German :beard:
Original post by Etoile
From my limited knowledge of them (jag talar lite svenska nu! :ahee:), it sounds more similar to the Scandinavian languages or an outdated form of English (Chaucer, in the original?) than to actual German :beard:

If I remember correctly from my language classes where we learnt about dialect I think it is.
Reply 1929
If I remember correctly from my language classes where we learnt about dialect I think it is.

Very interesting :holmes: Do you know anything about how it developed?

I am so impatient to get to university now, I want to learn all these things!
Original post by Etoile

Svenska?..det är inte so bra! :wink:
Reply 1931
Svenska?..det är inte so bra! :wink:

Varför?
Original post by Etoile
Varför?

foer att jag kan inte svenska :frown:
Reply 1933
foer att jag kan inte svenska :frown:

åh, det är en skam :wink: It's not so difficult, after German, as they are similar-ish :smile: And once you can understand Swedish, you can also understand Norwegian and bits of Danish! :ahee:
Original post by Etoile
åh, det är en skam :wink: It's not so difficult, after German, as they are similar-ish :smile: And once you can understand Swedish, you can also understand Norwegian and bits of Danish! :ahee:

if you know german and english well, dutch isnt too difficult.
Miss seems to have worked out that I'm fine translating things from DE-EN if the eng translation is not too dissimilar to the german. So now I'm being asked to do the ones where the german cannot be translated literally into english. Cue much panic from me.
Reply 1935
Original post by .snowflake.
if you know german and english well, dutch isnt too difficult.
Miss seems to have worked out that I'm fine translating things from DE-EN if the eng translation is not too dissimilar to the german. So now I'm being asked to do the ones where the german cannot be translated literally into english. Cue much panic from me.

Mmm Dutch too, it's so much fun seeing how they all link into each other! You can look at packaging and see in all the Germanic languages how similar the words are :h: When my friend told me that the Swedish word for child is bårn, and I thought how similar it is to the Scots bairn, that was true linguistic joy my friend :wink:
/geekiness

Try saying it out loud for the translations, often if you get the words separately then you need to formulate it into how it would actually be said, which is harder. That's why it's so great that the reading & listening (for me at least?) are answers in German because you just literally write what they say :yy:
Don't panic, you're awesome :hugs:
Original post by Etoile
Mmm Dutch too, it's so much fun seeing how they all link into each other! You can look at packaging and see in all the Germanic languages how similar the words are :h: When my friend told me that the Swedish word for child is bårn, and I thought how similar it is to the Scots bairn, that was true linguistic joy my friend :wink:
/geekiness

Try saying it out loud for the translations, often if you get the words separately then you need to formulate it into how it would actually be said, which is harder. That's why it's so great that the reading & listening (for me at least?) are answers in German because you just literally write what they say :yy:
Don't panic, you're awesome :hugs:

ty. Ich liebe dich, und du auch! Now I'm going to go and finish bio, then blow my brains to pieces with german homework. translation doesnt look too bad, but its EN-DE, its the for/ against citizenship tests table I've got to do that looks horrible.
Original post by Etoile
Very interesting :holmes: Do you know anything about how it developed?

I am so impatient to get to university now, I want to learn all these things!

I don't unfortunately. I just googled it and apparently there are 3 types: Austro/Bavarian, Swabian German (I think that was the one I heard the most) and East Franconian German (heard a bit as some friends come from that area).
Prima! Nächsten Sommer gehe ich (hoffentlich) nach Ungarn mit meine Freund und ihre Familie (sie spricht Deutsch). Und jetzt kann ich praktizieren. Können sie mir helfen? Ich weiss, dass mein Deutsch furchtbar ist. :frown:
Reply 1939
I don't unfortunately. I just googled it and apparently there are 3 types: Austro/Bavarian, Swabian German (I think that was the one I heard the most) and East Franconian German (heard a bit as some friends come from that area).

Oh wow! I think I need to go to the library and do some research/bother my German friends :teeth:

Original post by .snowflake.
ty. Ich liebe dich, und du auch! Now I'm going to go and finish bio, then blow my brains to pieces with german homework. translation doesnt look too bad, but its EN-DE, its the for/ against citizenship tests table I've got to do that looks horrible.

Ich hab dich auch lieb :smile:
:console:
EN-DE is so much harder!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending