The Student Room Group

BBC3 - Junior Doctors: Your Life In Their Hands

Scroll to see replies

Original post by infernalcradle
tbh, I agree....but although I'm not a doctor, I would've just said I don't know than trying to bluff my way out of it, still getting it wrong and making myself look like an arse

Well I’m sure there's been times when we all try to bluff our way out of not knowing something we should

I found it funny and felt sorry for him looking a bit silly in front of the senior doctor; I bet she knew he wouldn't know
Reply 241
Original post by diamonddust
On a non medical note... I'm sensing a bit of Adam-Suzi... stuff going on... no, you don't have to tell me how ridiculously astute I am.... I already know! :h: :biggrin: :tongue:

That was pretty good! I like this show muchly! Totally reinforcing my descision not to do Medicine... you know, if my hatred for and total failure at Biology and Chemistry hadn't already forced my hand! :tongue:
You prospective medics and medics, I tip my *virtual* hat to you!

Oh yeh man, at the dinner at the end you could cut the sexual tension with a number 10 blade
Reply 242
Original post by House MD
Oh man, that's terrible. Sorry :/

Thx, feel terrible to admit now that part of the reason I left was because I felt I was becoming desensitised.

The first time was the worse, 7 yr old in for pallative care, the mum put a pillow over the kids face then commited suicide herself (this happened on the ward btw). I had to deal with the 12 yr old brother, tbh I was so shocked and upset I just felt numb also I think in that type of situation you´re more focused on the grief of those who are actually suffering the loss rather than yourself as merely an observer.
Original post by delphie
Yep annoying because although she now thinks I´m more than capable I´m frustrated that she´s gone from putting doctors on a pedastal to thinking they´re a bunch of clueless youngsters. I hope this prog doesn´t make people dismissive of how difficult it is to not only get in but to complete the course and practise as a junior doctor. I think the prog either picked people that were going to come across as particularly incompetent or put a spin on it to come across that way

Re the breaking bad news, I worked in paeds oncology for 4 yrs & part of my job was telling kids they were going to die. I became highly skilled at doing it but hated it each and every time.

oh wow....how on earth did you do that....

I could never tell a child he/she was going to die, and then to see the parents reaction....:frown:
Original post by delphie
Thx, feel terrible to admit now that part of the reason I left was because I felt I was becoming desensitised.

The first time was the worse, 7 yr old in for pallative care, the mum put a pillow over the kids face then commited suicide herself (this happened on the ward btw). I had to deal with the 12 yr old brother, tbh I was so shocked and upset I just felt numb also I think in that type of situation you´re more focused on the grief of those who are actually suffering the loss rather than yourself as merely an observer.

OMG!!!

I have no idea how you have managed to deal with that....

you are truly inspirational for being able to manage with such things....
Reply 245
oh wow....how on earth did you do that....

I could never tell a child he/she was going to die, and then to see the parents reaction....:frown:

Some parents didn´t want their kids to knowbut even without someone actually saying the words to them a lot of kids seemed to be able to guess from the adults faces etc.

Many of the parents reacted surprisingly well, their instinct seemed to be to fight for their child in whatever capacity they could and lots tried to be strong so they could do the best they could for their child.

Weirdly it wasn´t always sad or shocking, some kids had been sick for ages and enjoyed making wills out to their siblings, friends ect Sometimes there was even an element of relief if the kid had been suffering for a long time.
Reply 246
Frankly i'm a little disappointed, where's the pole sticking through people? Where's the gore? :colonhash:
Reply 247
Reading back on this thread it seems, the combined experience of doctors on here would make a much better programme on tv and provide a better insight
Original post by dmz
Frankly i'm a little disappointed, where's the pole sticking through people? Where's the gore? :colonhash:

there was a finger going into some old guys bottom

so perhaps they are building up to it???
Reply 249
there was a finger going into some old guys bottom

so perhaps they are building up to it???

I thought that was the norm :tongue:

Hopefully or i'm writing a letter of complaint - Not really, my life is not that sad and i'm quite lazy, :lol: The guy that thinks highly of himself kinda sucks, cambridge girl is adorable, the rugby guy's cool :yep: and the A & E one had it good :smile:

Hopefully surgery's a little more exciting
Original post by dmz

Try S&M.
Reply 251
Original post by dunnicare
Try S&M.

:lol:
no, as in TB, the long lost cousin of the HB pencil

*splutters* :biggrin:
Original post by delphie

I've just teared up and I don't cry easily. That's just... heartbreaking. :sad:
I can't even imagine what it's like. And the poor brother of the mum and the child. :cry: :hugs:
Reply 253
Original post by House MD
Wait, which one is 'Cambridge girl'? :confused:

The adorable one that the pressure was getting to, there was the 2nd year one and Lucy who did the rectal examination :teehee:
Reply 254
I thought it was really good! Pretty informative and basically what I am putting myself in for!
Just watched it on BBC iplayer. :indiff:

Interesting...
Reply 256
I liked it :colondollar: :colondollar:

One of the guys (frogot his name) seemed like an ass to me tho :hmmm:
Original post by failingatm
I liked it :colondollar: :colondollar:

One of the guys (frogot his name) seemed like an ass to me tho :hmmm:

Adam Beaini. :rolleyes:
Reply 258
Original post by lonely14
Adam Beaini. :rolleyes:

Yeah him! :angry: I think.......

Such an arse the way he was talking.
The awkward moment when Jon tells a patient to lose weight...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending