The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cpdavis
Are you guys prepared for AS exams?

erm maths yes... other subjects ? (apparantly they exist) perhaps not..
Original post by Reminisce
I know its interesting. It's beautiful. :wink:

I thought I said in my post that I've already read heavily into it lol that's why I made that minor and light-hearted rant...

Anyhow, the applied mathematics was on modeling the motion of a bike as you drag it or push it and on whether it would jack-knife. Some interesting ideas with ODEs.

interesting........the applied maths person that we had went through the odes too. But because time was a little short on some of them she kinda went "This is the ode and here's the graph when you solve and no discussion of how she got it :frown: ". But for the most part she was quite good, and I even managed to ask her some questions about population dynamics at the end.
Original post by cpdavis

Yeah I'm pretty prepared. I think (or at least I hope so :tongue:) I could take any of my exams tomorrow and be pretty confident I'd get an A (with the exception of physics - but only because I haven't started revising for that yet as it's on the 6th June and I have a 1 week half term before that! :smile:)

I'm still going forth with more revision though - pretty much fully nailed chemistry and maths/further - going over biology a bit more in a minute and doing a few more maths papers (cause I really want to 100% A level maths ha :biggrin:)
Original post by maths134
erm maths yes... other subjects ? (apparantly they exist) perhaps not..

Yep :biggrin:
Well, I will be after I do some S2 papers, and in June I'll re-learn all of the FP1 stuff I've forgotten
Reply 384
ooooh, who were you ? and thanks, I imagine you have your own exams soon. (I was the guy who failed with the series question and had 'shorts' on)

From Scotland?

I was the guy in the green t-shirt at the back (like we all were).
Original post by around
From Scotland?

I was the guy in the green t-shirt at the back (like we all were).

not Scotland, other one, London.
Thought people might be interested - any girls seen this? http://www.egmo2012.org.uk/
Don't think I'll get in, but seems like an interesting thing to enter.

Original post by cpdavis

Noooooooooo! :frown: I have 5 subjects in 6 days, my first exam is a week tomorrow and my last two weeks today. And I'm terrified.
Original post by anyone_can_fly
Thought people might be interested - any girls seen this? http://www.egmo2012.org.uk/
Don't think I'll get in, but seems like an interesting thing to enter.

Noooooooooo! :frown: I have 5 subjects in 6 days, my first exam is a week tomorrow and my last two weeks today. And I'm terrified.

UKMT maths = pain
Unless it's the team maths challenge, that is good fun

I have 3 exams in 1 day :colonhash:
Reply 388
Original post by dnumberwang
Lol I completely fell asleep during the applied maths talk, and enjoyed the others :colondollar:
Might have been something to do with getting 5 hours of sleep though.

I liked that the guy said he gets up at 11am every day. That beats Saturday morning lectures :awesome:

I got there at 10 in the morning so I went and looked around most of the central colleges, then went to Balliol again in the afternoon for the tour. Which was a waste of time to be honest. It's still one of my top choices, along with Worcester. St. Catherine's seems a bit too far out for me

Which college? I'm going to Sidney Sussex, gonna have to get up at half past 6, yay

Emmanuel College, i only live in essex so not too far to go :smile: should be a good day!
anyone happen to have any good tips on how to revise for M1 because I'm really struggling with it?
Reply 390
this thread helped me a lot, and I got 98% in my M1 mock.
Anyone in year 12 doing M1 next week?
Reply 392
yep, c1 and m1 on the same day, followed by s1 and d1 on the same day...
Original post by jerome1994
Anyone in year 12 doing M1 next week?

yup, is it anyone else favourite module lol ?
yup, is it anyone else favourite module lol ?

:colonhash:

It's horrible, it's my most hated module :tongue:
Even stats is better
Yeah m1, i just discovered the work energy power chapter fml
Original post by dnumberwang
:colonhash:

It's horrible, it's my most hated module :tongue:
Even stats is better

Stats is horrid =p
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
anyone happen to have any good tips on how to revise for M1 because I'm really struggling with it?

Find someone to give you more explanation of the principles. There are only half a dozen ideas in M1 and once you've inderstood them you're fine.
Original post by Heroesorghosts
(Just posted this in the Oxford 2012 Entry thread too would be grateful of any info, if anyone has any!)

I applied for maths last year and made it through to interviews but got rejected in the end Currently sitting on an Imperial offer based on a 2 in STEP II/III as I've already done my A-Levels. However, Oxford has been my dream for god knows how many years (I'm sure many of you can empathise with this) and I just feel as if I belong there having lived there for 6 months too and falling in love with the place! I'm considering (hopefully if I make STEP) taking up my place at Imperial and then reapplying to Oxford while I'm there, as I figure I have nothing to lose and I'm only 17 so age is definitely on my side! However I have reservations as it is virtually admitting to myself that Imperial is second place to what I really want, before I've even gone! And it's also not a case of being able to go and see if I like it as much as I can imagine loving Oxford (living there definitely gave me a feel for it), as Imperial only starts in October and last year Oxbridge applications were in by the 15th October! I guess I shall ponder for it a while longer before making my final decision.. If anyone has experience of the same, it would be greatly appreciated And good luck to everyone else who applies - it truly is an amazing experience if you make it to interviews so just make the most of it! I must say I have very fond memories of the whole process from doing background reading for my PS, writing it, doing the MAT etc. and if anyone is having reservations about applying just do it! It's only one place out of 5 choices and honestly you'd be crazy not to

there was someone last year who applied to Oxford for maths who was IN THE EXACT situation as you (instead he was doing theoretical physics) and the interviewers quickly picked up that he was already at Imperial at the interview. I don't know whether he let it slip in the interview or they knew beforehand. I think he posted on the MAT forum for this years applicants if you want to find out.
Reply 399
Original post by Heroesorghosts
(Just posted this in the Oxford 2012 Entry thread too would be grateful of any info, if anyone has any!)

I applied for maths last year and made it through to interviews but got rejected in the end Currently sitting on an Imperial offer based on a 2 in STEP II/III as I've already done my A-Levels. However, Oxford has been my dream for god knows how many years (I'm sure many of you can empathise with this) and I just feel as if I belong there having lived there for 6 months too and falling in love with the place! I'm considering (hopefully if I make STEP) taking up my place at Imperial and then reapplying to Oxford while I'm there, as I figure I have nothing to lose and I'm only 17 so age is definitely on my side! However I have reservations as it is virtually admitting to myself that Imperial is second place to what I really want, before I've even gone! And it's also not a case of being able to go and see if I like it as much as I can imagine loving Oxford (living there definitely gave me a feel for it), as Imperial only starts in October and last year Oxbridge applications were in by the 15th October! I guess I shall ponder for it a while longer before making my final decision.. If anyone has experience of the same, it would be greatly appreciated And good luck to everyone else who applies - it truly is an amazing experience if you make it to interviews so just make the most of it! I must say I have very fond memories of the whole process from doing background reading for my PS, writing it, doing the MAT etc. and if anyone is having reservations about applying just do it! It's only one place out of 5 choices and honestly you'd be crazy not to

You'd be hit by the increase in fees though

Latest