The Student Room Group

india or china ????????????????????????????

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Le Récamier
That's in Beijing...

Hey, OP, I've been to both. I loved Shanghai, disliked Mumbai. I also have a Japanese friend who went one year to Mumbai, he really disliked it too.
But at the end of the day, it depends on what you want. Shanghai is like a business city, it's modern, fun, etc. I loved it there because it's exactly the kind of city I like - mind you, it's the most "modern city" in Mainland China - by that I mean it's very very international. (Not counting HK, and not considering Taiwan as part of China.) So I don't consider it to be the "average Chinese experience." It's a lot less traditional than Beijing for example.

Mumbai... Mh, I think it's also a great city, but it broke my heart. The amount of poverty, the danger everywhere, the crazy things they do there... Maybe I was too young (16), but it was a hard place to get used to. I think one can come to love India, most of the others loved it, there's an enormous amount of color, of life, the Indians are genuinely friendly too (btw, Shanghai people are city people, and they're also business people, they're considered to be some of the most unfriendly people in China) but the contrast between rich and poor is appalling. Another thing that's good though about India - no government coming into your life all the time, no need for a VPN, you don't have people telling you where to go or what to do.

Hope this helps!

really appreciate it , i think im more likely to go to china i just watched some video clip on youtube it looks like NYC :eek:
Original post by boxsterboxster
really appreciate it , i think im more likely to go to china i just watched some video clip on youtube it looks like NYC :eek:

Yeah, be careful it's not NYC though. Americans and Chinese are very extreme opposites. x) NYC is great too. My best friend goes to Columbia and I have a friend at Barnard, and both love it there. I hope later on I'll get the chance to know it better by living there.
In Shanghai, you'll probably also get a lot of Mandarin and Shanghai dialect exposure! (You'd get a little hindi exposure in India but not much.) You can learn a language! (Or dialect.) Wish you luck!
I don't think people in this thread understand the reputation IIT Bombay carries across the world. OP if reputation is a big concern for you (doesn't seem like it from your posts) then I would seriously reconsider picking that chinese university over IIT.
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
I don't think people in this thread understand the reputation IIT Bombay carries across the world. OP if reputation is a big concern for you (doesn't seem like it from your posts) then I would seriously reconsider picking that chinese university over IIT.

appreciate your advice , i would consider about mumbai as well if i can find a nice area to stay i will go for it , because many people said mumbai is too dangerous for white ( im half greek half spanish) so im little bit worry about it
Original post by Le Récamier
Yeah, be careful it's not NYC though. Americans and Chinese are very extreme opposites. x) NYC is great too. My best friend goes to Columbia and I have a friend at Barnard, and both love it there. I hope later on I'll get the chance to know it better by living there.
In Shanghai, you'll probably also get a lot of Mandarin and Shanghai dialect exposure! (You'd get a little hindi exposure in India but not much.) You can learn a language! (Or dialect.) Wish you luck!

how much would that cost to live in shanghai include rent food and transport etc?
Reply 25
IIT Mumbai is EXTREMELY prestigious in India. Just saying. I would go for India in a heartbeat, given that it's IIT.
Original post by CocoPop
IIT Mumbai is EXTREMELY prestigious in India. Just saying. I would go for India in a heartbeat, given that it's IIT.

i think it's a good uni but i really worry about the hygine and safety etc in india
Reply 27
i think it's a good uni but i really worry about the hygine and safety etc in india

Why do you keep berating the hygiene/safety in Mumbai? It's not like you'd be living in the slums... India is far more advanced than people think. Given that you're living in a good area, which I'm sure you'll be able to afford, the safety and the hygiene is definitely not far off most western countries. Also don't worry about the racism; as sad as it might be, you'd practically be worshipped in either country for being white.

Given that India is also extremely cheap to live in, very friendly people and IIT being a very reputable college, compared to that unheard university in China, I'd say go for India.
Original post by Genocidal
China! It has the great firewall!

:wink:
Hmm India
Original post by 0906079
Why do you keep berating the hygiene/safety in Mumbai? It's not like you'd be living in the slums... India is far more advanced than people think. Given that you're living in a good area, which I'm sure you'll be able to afford, the safety and the hygiene is definitely not far off most western countries. Also don't worry about the racism; as sad as it might be, you'd practically be worshipped in either country for being white.

Given that India is also extremely cheap to live in, very friendly people and IIT being a very reputable college, compared to that unheard university in China, I'd say go for India.

thanks for your advice im not saying india is undeveloped but many people said shanghai has much better standard of living and im sure IIT is better than nankai university so i will think about it's just hard to decide ... becuase for me i would not learn many things whithin one year so exprience would be more important for me but anyway thanks .
Well both of those students are biased...

I'd go towards the one that's more suited to your course, and if they're both similar, then do 'Ip dip do...' :erm:
Reply 32
Original post by LysFromParis
Which University in Shangai ? If it's Tsinghua go for it, it's a world class university, as a city shanghai is great, and the standard of living are much higher.

I'm pretty sure Tsinghua is in Beijing.
Original post by thegodofgod
Well both of those students are biased...

I'd go towards the one that's more suited to your course, and if they're both similar, then do 'Ip dip do...' :erm:

i think i've decided it im going to shanghai because i've just spoken to a tutor who had been work in china for few years he gave me some advices apparently shanghai is better place to live and i can learn some mandarin so wish me luck .
i think i've decided it im going to shanghai because i've just spoken to a tutor who had been work in china for few years he gave me some advices apparently shanghai is better place to live and i can learn some mandarin so wish me luck .

Good Luck :biggrin: :yy:
Reply 35
thanks for your advice im not saying india is undeveloped but many people said shanghai has much better standard of living and im sure IIT is better than nankai university so i will think about it's just hard to decide ... becuase for me i would not learn many things whithin one year so exprience would be more important for me but anyway thanks .

No problem.

Well, assuming that you get the normal student loan I'm sure you will be very well off for the year. You might even be able to hire someone to cook/clean for you, if you wanted. 5/6 grand is like 4 lakhs and the average wage for a middle class job is like 10-20 thousand rupees a month, which is like 300 pounds and these are the people who have big houses, own multiple cars and live in brilliant areas, etc. So you can see how well off you'd be there.

I've been to both India and China, though different cities than where you'd be going. My best friend took me to India for his brother's wedding and I had an amazing time there. Food was brill, people were super friendly and tbh I was amazed at how advanced they were, complete opposite to how I had stereotyped them. Especially the teenagers, I saw more iPods and smart phones on them than we have here and a lot of them could speak better english than us, tbh. As for China, I had a great time there as well but the people that I saw were so grumpy and always rushed that it kind of ruined the trip. Might just have been my experience though.
(edited 10 years ago)
UK£ 4000 = 290 931.888 Indian rupees

UK£ 6000 = 436 397.833 Indian rupees

Like someone else already said, with your UK finance, in India you would be upper class. Think about how much you could buy with that kind of money.

I would seriously consider going there, now that I calculated it. Depends how much fees and high quality, clean, secure accodomation is there though?
Has anyone from London studied in India?

How easy was it getting into top business schools there?
Reply 39
go to both cities and make decision afterwards, say like after a week or two.

personally i would go to Shanghai, then again that's me from watching too much
Jetl Lee movies to name one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending