The Student Room Group

India vs China (Alone) - Which Is Safer??

Hi guys,

I'm looking to go to either India or China in May or June, just after my exams for 2 weeks.

I've barely planned it, so haven't got much of an itinerary, but have got something like:

India:
Delhi (4 days)
Agra (3 days)
Jaipur (3 days)

And either
Ahmedabad (4 days) or Mumbai (4 days) or Rajasthan (Jaisalmer, Jodhpur etc) for 4 days

China:
Beijing (7 days), great wall for 2 days of this
Chengdu (4 days)
Xi'an or Shanghai (4 days)

This is very rough and sketchy. It's quite city based and may change as I go along but these are the areas of the respective countries I am looking to explore.

I have some questions and would appreciate any help:

1) I'm looking to travel this one on my own, literally on my own. I know a few people over there but not incredibley well. So which country would be safer for an independant traveller?? I was told India is more dangerous for a lonesome traveller if you don't know anyone. Is this true??

2)The level of English, it's important as an independant traveller that English is spoken quite well or at least I can get around as I speak none of the local languages. Would India be more preferable in this case??

3)The cost, both are quite cheap, thats why I'm going lol, but which country is generally cheaper for food, transport etc. I've heard India can be quite expensive, is China more cheaper??

4)The food in general, I'm not the biggest fan of spicy food, but I can eat some indian meals not many, is this a disadvantage if I struggle with spicy food??

It's my safety and avoiding being ripped off that most concerns me. I want to be able to get around fairly easily without getting lost and can communicate well in part with locals occasionally at least.

Can anyone offer advice (especially on safety) I would really appreciate it.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you will like china better....its alot cleaner. Indian cities are heavily polluted.....not much to see in India.

You will be safe in India in a sense that you may commit crimes there and never be caught and if caught, bribe your way out. In China they will execute you. There's higher chance of getting kidnapped in India than in China. I suggest China. Spend more time there. And dont do anything stupid.
Sorry if that sounds a little weird.

India may be cheaper, but that depends on what place in India you go to.

Both countries will speak okay english.
Indians dont eat anything without spice. You have more chances of getting diarrhea in India. Avoiding street food is important if you go India.
You can get ripped off anywhere. Simple thing to avoid getting ripped is to not take much money.

EDIT : why I getting so much positive rep.......?:s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'd say China... since you're gonna be in urban areas. You're less likely to get ill as well I'd have thought.
You'll constantly hear stories about people being kidnapped and having their organs harvested etc but try not to let that put you off. I expect a lot of that is myth-making, and only rarely happens.

I have been to China and I really liked it. In Beijing or Hong Kong you will be absolutely fine, a lot of the youngsters speak English and they are both very international places (especially Hong Kong).

I haven't been to India although I know quite a few people who have and they really enjoyed it. For both places, my advice is DO NOT DRINK TAP WATER and bring along plenty of diarrhea tablets (especially for India. A lot of your itinary will be going towards what the guy in the fourth cell of my signature is doing LOL).
Reply 4
I went to Beijing, Xian and Chengdu amongst others in September. You will be fine travelling alone. Few people speak English, but they will in the hotels and hostels in these cities. I don't speak enough Chinese to be remotely useful. China was dead cheap. Hard seat about 17 hours from Beijing to Xi'an (not recommended) was [I think] 194 RMB (about £19) and Soft Sleeper from Xi'an to Chengdu (very recommended) was 302 RMB.

Chengdu is in Sichuan which is known for its spicy food. The Chinese phrase for not spicy is 'bu la'. There are plenty of places to eat Chinese food, both clean and dirty, also a wide selection of McDonaldses and KFCs in each city. If you go to a small place, its unlikely they will have an English menu, but often pictures. "Wo yao nei ge" - "I want that".

Just have a bit of common sense and you won't be ripped off. If you go to India, do not eat meat.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
The Foreign Office website is really good for tips on this sort of thing. Check it out here, they have country profiles + general safety tips http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/
Reply 6
Both are awesome places to visit, both are countries I will strive to visit. However, I'd recommend China. It's far cleaner, and certainly safer- though to keep safe from the authorities avoid discussing politically sensitive issues such as Tibet, or by overstaying your visa. In the major cities, many Chinese will speak fluent English, particularly the younger generation- it's seen as a very important subject in school.

Chinese cuisine may not be the same as you expect from your local takeaway. If you are staying with the locals, expect to be eating some weird and whacky courses, which may not be your Western taste. Don't turn your nose up- this will cause great offence.
Reply 7
im going to admit now i have no idea so this is just a guess but id say china is probably safer but so long as you stay to the tourist districts and not the seedy bits in both countries youd be fine :smile:, the level of english in both countries should be very high but id think india would be great [ex colony and all], cost again it depends where you go and what you want to eat ... but most likely china, food in general i've always been partial to indian food ... whilst its true they like hot food out there its by no means the be all end all of their food .. that being said chinese food is delicious to!
personally id recommend india though ive always had a love of there :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by marcusfox
I went to Beijing, Xian and Chengdu amongst others in September. You will be fine travelling alone. Few people speak English, but they will in the hotels and hostels in these cities. I don't speak enough Chinese to be remotely useful. China was dead cheap. Hard seat about 17 hours from Beijing to Xi'an (not recommended) was [I think] 194 RMB (about £19) and Soft Sleeper from Xi'an to Chengdu (very recommended) was 302 RMB.

Chengdu is in Sichuan which is known for its spicy food. The Chinese phrase for not spicy is 'bu la'. There are plenty of places to eat Chinese food, both clean and dirty, also a wide selection of McDonaldses and KFCs in each city. If you go to a small place, its unlikely they will have an English menu, but often pictures. "Wo yao nei ge" - "I want that".

Just have a bit of common sense and you won't be ripped off. If you go to India, do not eat meat.

I went to all those places and more. I too recommend to get soft sleeper if its more then 12 hours.
The train from Beijing to Shanghai is 5 hours for £55 (555rmb). Bar rouge is ok abit of a 30s crowd, but Muse is by far the best place!!! Mint next to it was dry. The shelter is good too if you like drum and base : )

You'll only need 1 day for the Great Wall, but go somewhere 2-3 hours away from Beijing cos there might be a lot of tourits if its closer to the city. No need to see every tourist place, the wall, forbidden city, olympic park, temple of heaven is enough. Enjoy the clubs such as Mix, Vics, etc. Sanlitun is a really cool place for entertainment, 5 mins to those clubs mentioned, real restaurants if u get bored of street food, bars, cinema, shopping centre etc. :cool:

I want to go India one day as I haven't been. But I think China would be the better option. If someone can quote me and let me know about New Delhi, Agra, Mumbai I would appreciate it.

edit-to answer your original question. china is really safe. just dont talk to strangers and get yourself into a scam. dont drink tea with strangers :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Don't go to India alone. It's not safe.
Reply 10
Original post by Sharpshooter

China:
Beijing (7 days), great wall for 2 days of this
Chengdu (4 days)
Xi'an or Shanghai (4 days)

This is very rough and sketchy. It's quite city based and may change as I go along but these are the areas of the respective countries I am looking to explore.

I have some questions and would appreciate any help:

1) I'm looking to travel this one on my own, literally on my own. I know a few people over there but not incredibley well. So which country would be safer for an independant traveller?? I was told India is more dangerous for a lonesome traveller if you don't know anyone. Is this true??

2)The level of English, it's important as an independant traveller that English is spoken quite well or at least I can get around as I speak none of the local languages. Would India be more preferable in this case??

3)The cost, both are quite cheap, thats why I'm going lol, but which country is generally cheaper for food, transport etc. I've heard India can be quite expensive, is China more cheaper??

4)The food in general, I'm not the biggest fan of spicy food, but I can eat some indian meals not many, is this a disadvantage if I struggle with spicy food??

It's my safety and avoiding being ripped off that most concerns me. I want to be able to get around fairly easily without getting lost and can communicate well in part with locals occasionally at least.

Can anyone offer advice (especially on safety) I would really appreciate it.

I'll only comment on China since I've never been to India :tongue:

1) China is very safe, especially since you'll probably be in more tourist-y areas. Just be wise to potential pickpocketers (not an issue I've personally had) and dont buy the **** souvenirs in the tourist parts :tongue: mostly vastly overprices and easy to get elsewhere. As long as you don't get drunk and start shouting **** you to everyone on the subway you should be fine (theres a video of that around somewhere...)

2) Tourist places will have quite a good level of English, however if your going to less traveled areas there'll be very few that either can or will speak English. A pocket phrasebook and the names of places you want to go written in chinese will obviously be a massive advantage.

3) In China you can get good tasting food for £2-3 a day if your not too picky about where you eat. Once again, do not eat near tourist spots! These restaurants tend to be vastly overpriced and of low quality. If you want to go to nicer restaurants, maybe £10 a day. Travel in China is incredibly cheap too. The subway is about 20p single ticket to anywhere and will cover all the tourist places except the great wall (which is quite a bit out of the city). Buses are 10-20p and taxis tend to be about £1 per mile (maybe less, I'm terrible at judging distances). Train travel is also very cheap, for example Beijing-> Hong Kong is £50 for a 24hour journey! The highspeed rail is also relatively cheap at £50 for Beijing->Shanghai in a few hours, however it doesn't cover the entire country of course :tongue:

4) Chengdu is one of the centres of spicey food in China, so that may cause issues :tongue: Even the street barbecue can melt your face. Generally the food in China is much different from what we get here, although its still easy to get sweet n sour chicken and wonton soup (probably the only take-away staples that are easy to get outside of south china). One dish that every foreigner loves is Kongpao chicken (partly because its the easiest to say :tongue: kongpao jiding), sweet with a little bit of spice and I bloody love the peanuts... Other decent foods to look out for that are quite popular are Jiaozi (dumplings), Baozi (like steamed meat buns) and the Xinjiang food (boiled noodles with lots of different toppings and sauces...almost all Xinjiang restaurants are green and have a massive poster on the wall with pictures of every dish...it's like they all get their decoration from the same guy).

I don't know what you'd do in Shanghai for 4days (personally 1 day was too much for me), but if you do go there, I would definitely recommend going to Hangzhou for a day or 2 (its very close to Shanghai). It's a city based around a famous lake and its just beautiful. Also has one of Zhang Yimou's shows there (impression west lake) which is just awe inspiring...like the beijing olympic opening ceremony every night of the week...performed on the surface of the lake. Also Hangzhou has 'the grandmas', some of the best chinese restaurants I have ever tried, its a chain all over the city and for about £5 you can eat like a king...god I miss it...

I don't know if you intend to go to bars or clubs, but be warned, prices are pretty steep (£3 for a pint/bottle of beer), however the little restaurants will sell big bottles at maybe 60p (and its even 30p from a corner shop)

Oh and one final thing, DO NOT GO TO THE SILK MARKET (in Beijing). The place is evil, it actually makes me die inside when I see the amount of tour buses outside. If you want your fake stuff or souvenirs there are much better places to go to that will require a lot less arguing and abuse from the sellers.

If theres any more information you need let me know, I've lived out there for a couple of years (infact planning to go back permanently in the summer) so whatever info I personally don't have, I've got a few I can ask.

Where ever you go just be smart, don't have expensive stuff on show and be polite, gets you a long way
Great Wall for 2 days? it's not that exciting... :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by dnumberwang
Great Wall for 2 days? it's not that exciting... :tongue:

well :tongue: 2days is enough to climb jiankou and sleep up there...although would advise going in a group (couchsurfers do a few trips)
China.
Reply 14
I'd recommend India. I visited last summer, albeit not on my own, and thought that the culture and the people were very friendly and welcoming. It seemed to be the girls in my group that got most of the attention so as a guy, I think you'd be OK. Basically everyone there can speak English so you shouldn't have a problem. I visited Rajastan when I went - was based in Jodhpur (awesome!) but visited Delhi, Jaipur and also went for a weekend to Taj Mahal. And everything is VERY cheap!
Regarding the food, I don't like spicy food either - there was a chef where I was staying that cooked very mild Indian food as it was for english people but I found basically all of the food in restaurants are spicy - I remember ordering tomato pasta once thinking it should be spice-free and it was literally the most spicy dish I've ever had! Just ask the waiters what their least spicy dishes are... there are usually some western options available in restaurants too (cheese toasties, pizzas etc) but thinking about it, it is a bit of a waste going to Indian to eat these foods :tongue:
Enjoy your trip!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by lola1993
x
Enjoy your trip!

how much from new delhi to agra/taj mahal, and how long was the train.
how was the hostels? easy to locate etc. what was there to do on a day to day basis.
im thinking of going in the next 1-2 years so want to know :smile:
Reply 16
You won't find many English speakers out and about in China so I wouldn't count on their assistance. To get around, always have one of your hotel business cards with you, and just ask the front desk at the hotel to write any address down for you so that you can show it to taxi drivers. The subway in Beijing is in English and easy to navigate.

That will prevent you getting lost. Aside from that, if show a modicum of common sense then there's not much to worry about.

By the way, if you choose China then I recommend going to Guilin and/or Yangshou. These are two beautiful cities in the south of the country. They are very popular among Chinese tourists, but for some reason they don't get the attention they deserve from Western tourists (although the interest is enough for them to have some English-speaking hotels and English-language tours). I'd recommend them above Xi'an or Shanghai.

Mcnubn
taxis tend to be about £1 per mile (maybe less, I'm terrible at judging distances).
Pretty terrible at judging distances, tbh! :tongue: No taxi is more than 50p/mile, and I think Beijing taxis are closer to 30p/mile. But the rest of what you said is good stuff.
Reply 17
Hmm, I live in India so I may be able to tell you what it's like. First of all, yes, like people have said, China is generally a bit cleaner and less polluted, but parts of India are beautiful as well.

I personally wouldn't go to Mumbai, because it's suffocating, and hot, and polluted. If you aren't used to the climate I promise the temperatures there will burn you up. Rajasthan is nice, and I would recommend parts of Delhi and Pondicherry (very pretty blend of Indian+ French, since it was a French colony once.)

If you're a boy, then you needn't fear- your safety is pretty much guaranteed, just avoid the rough parts of the cities. Mumbai would be worst for crime rates, I think.

Nearly everyone here speaks English, too, at least the kinds of people you will meet while travelling will probably speak as fluently as you do. Can't speak for China because I haven't been there, but about 95% of people you talk to here will be able to speak English, and all the signs and everything are bi-lingual in English and Hindi.

Don't worry about how cheap it is, it's very cheap if you know where to go. Food should be cheap wherever you go, the cheapest would be street food, but like people have said, don't eat that. NEVER drink tap water, it's not like the UK, tap water here is only good for washing hands. That said, there are plenty of good restaurants that come at reasonable prices, you could have a really good meal in 500 rupees at a nice place, which is about 6 pounds :tongue: Oh yes, and we have all the famous fast food brands, McDonald's, KFC, Subway, Starbucks, but if you want to know India you wouldn't be eating there, of course. Stick to the restaurants and cafes which look cleaner, and you won't get food poisoning or anything. Always, always carry hand sanitizer.

Personally I've always found the spiciness of Indian food to be overrated. It's not that spicy, I promise, and you'll find a wide range of cuisines to choose from in any city. About transport- you wouldn't like to travel by bus, so I think you'll be using taxis, trains and autos. Autos are fine, kind of exciting, will cost about a 50p. Taxis will be more expensive. Trains will be cheap, but not that comfortable, and quite dirty by UK standards. Pick the Shatabdi or the Rajasthani Express, those are fastest, and much cleaner.

It's better if you have a guide/ family to stay with during your visit, but I've seen plenty of foreigners backpacking across the land, and they seem to love it.

Hope this helped :smile:
Original post by zedeneye1
you will like china better....its alot cleaner. Indian cities are heavily polluted.....not much to see in India.

You will be safe in India in a sense that you may commit crimes there and never be caught and if caught, bribe your way out. In China they will execute you. There's higher chance of getting kidnapped in India than in China. I suggest China. Spend more time there. And dont do anything stupid.
Sorry if that sounds a little weird.

India may be cheaper, but that depends on what place in India you go to.

Both countries will speak okay english.
Indians dont eat anything without spice. You have more chances of getting diarrhea in India. Avoiding street food is important if you go India.
You can get ripped off anywhere. Simple thing to avoid getting ripped is to not take much money.

EDIT : why I getting so much positive rep.......?:s-smilie:

Not much to see in India??? Really??? Oh how little you know about this world.

OP I don't know much about China but I would China is probably safer and cleaner and just....easier in general haha esp. if you are travelling alone. Go to China alone and then go to India with a bunch of friends later in your life :biggrin:
Reply 19
Don't count on getting around in China speaking only English. In large cities (eg Beijing, Shanghai..) it maybe easier, and subways and taxi services are bilingual, but its not as if you can ask any random person in the street for direction and get responses. If you visit China I suggest spreading your time across the map as widely as possible. Geographical diversity is huge. Great wall is not as great as it's hyped to be. Some southern, especially south-western towns, eg. Kunming, Guilin, are definitely more worthing seeing than the homogeneous metropolises. These places are less internationalised but I think they are the genuine china one would expect. Don't know about India but I suppose people speak more english than in China. Oh, and don't drink the tap water. You won't die but will get ill if unlucky.

Quick Reply

Latest