The Student Room Group

Psychology A Unit 3 AQA - 17th June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Summersun1
I'm doing Gender, Relationships and Cognition and development .. I have some A grade essays ive done if anyone wants me too send them and if anyone else has revision material on these would be helpful!

Oh i would really appreciate if you could send me your essays for Relationships, im really stuggling :frown:
Reply 61
Original post by SpeedyDesiato
Unit 2 as in Abnormality, Stress etc? Would you mind sending that this way also? I'd be unimaginably appreciative :smile:

I dont mind forwarding it to you, if you still havnt got it?
Reply 62
I'm doing Gender, Relationships and Cognition and development .. I have some A grade essays ive done if anyone wants me too send them and if anyone else has revision material on these would be helpful!

And oh ive got some relationship notes if you want them :smile:
Original post by Smilie :)
And oh ive got some relationship notes if you want them :smile:

can i be slighly rude & ask to maybe see your notes. have been taught horribly for relationships eughh :frown:
Reply 64
Original post by sweet&petitee
can i be slighly rude & ask to maybe see your notes. have been taught horribly for relationships eughh :frown:

yeah course, just PM me your email and ill send them to you :smile:
Original post by sweet&petitee

I have a good power point on relationships if you wish???
Anyone doing anomalistic psychology? I am really struggling to build a structured answer for any part...time is running out and going fom A-Z will take forever.

Help will be much appreciated!
Original post by TheRockMaster
I have a good power point on relationships if you wish???

That would be brilliant!! Thank you :smile:

(ps sorry I can't help with the notes you need!)
Hey could anyone post some A grade essays for relationships, sleep and eating behaviour, i have no idea how to write these essays :frown: would be much appreciated x
Original post by Free-Spirit
Hey could anyone post some A grade essays for relationships, sleep and eating behaviour, i have no idea how to write these essays :frown: would be much appreciated x

E-mail me your address and I will see what I can do! (PM)
Will be doing a bit more of my sleep revision tonight :smile:
Original post by teaandcoffee
Will be doing a bit more of my sleep revision tonight :smile:

By sleeping....:biggrin:
Sorry bad joke but tooo tempting.

Me too, Answered the wrong thing in the jan paper and have to retake :frown: wrote 3 pages of exogenous zeitgebers when the question was aksing about andogenous pacemakers!
Has anyone got any research methods notes ?? missed a few lessons and would love some notes on statistical analysis :smile: thanks!
Reply 73
Original post by TheRockMaster
E-mail me your address and I will see what I can do! (PM)

Sorry for interupting but any chance you can send essays or notes you have on Sleep, Relationships, and aggression if you did those units? Im really struggling :frown:
Original post by Smilie :)
Sorry for interupting but any chance you can send essays or notes you have on Sleep, Relationships, and aggression if you did those units? Im really struggling :frown:

Just PM me your e-mail and I see what I have...I think I have one one the sexual selection theory in relationships.
anyone got notes on evaluating sleep disorders?
HI i ave no idea how to actuall write an A grade essay for psychology. i jus typed one up below, wud appreciate it if ppl could give me feedback on wat ive done right or wrong plz. its 731 words btw - is it too long or too shot?? plus i dont kno ho wlong it took me - i think maybe jus 35-40 mins which is too long rite>? Thanx

Discuss the role of genes and hormones in gender development. (25 Marks)

According to the Biological approach, gender development is influenced and controlled by genetics that encode for hormones. The biological approach stresses the importance that gender occurs as a result of nature rather than nurture. It is thought that gender related behaviour is influenced by an over or under exposure to sex hormones (androgens and oestrogen). Research has been carried out to investigate the effects of genes and hormones on gender development.

Young (1966) has shown the effects of over exposure of the opposite sex hormones on sexual behaviour of rats. Female rats arch over during sexual activity and male rats mount the female rats. However, Young injected the female rates with androgens (male hormones) and injected oestrogen (female hormones) into the male rates during a critical period of development. The rat’s behaviours were observed and showed an opposite in behaviours. The female rats now tried to mount the male rats and the male rats arch over. This therefore shows that hormones affect gender behaviour and development. However, it is important to remember that the study was done on non-humans and so cannot be generalised to humans, despite rats being genetically similar to humans. Although, the use of non-human participants allows for independent variables to be systematically manipulated providing reliable data.

Money (1972) used a case study to support the idea that hormones affected gender development. Money studied a group of girls that had been exposed to high levels of testosterone ‘in utero’ through anti miscarriage drugs. These girls were compared to their non-exposed sisters and their mothers were asked to comment on their behaviour and choice of toys/clothes. A difference was reported, with the exposed girls being reported as more boyish with a higher IQ. This suggests that exposure to high levels of androgens had affected their gender development. Nevertheless, it has been suggested that the questions were misleading such as ‘Which of your daughters are more boyish’ suggesting that one of them has to be boyish. A follow up study found only one difference the exposed girls were more active. Hines also disagreed with Moneys findings and so carried out a study examining play shown by girls and boys aged 3-8 years who had congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH When embryos are exposed to high levels of androgens). Hines found minor differences, except girls preferred playing with boys, which suggests that hormones had little effect on behaviour.

Deady (2006) looked at the relationship between gender role orientation and testosterone levels in ‘child free’ women to support the importance of hormones. Deady asked participants to complete Bems SRI Questionnaire and answer questions about their desire for children. Results showed a correlation of the higher testosterone levels found in saliva, the lower the females desire for children. This suggests that the high levels of testosterone are related to a low maternal drive. However, the study revealed a correlation which is not a causal finding.

However, the biological approach in general has been criticised for being generally deterministic and reductionist and does not take into account the influence of the environment and social interactions which may be best explained by other theories.

Alternately, the biosocial approach may be more appropriate as it takes into account the interaction between the genetics and the environment. The social constructive theory forms the biosocial approach and argues that gender is formed through social construction that changes over time and culture through language. It suggests that masculinity and femininity are not fixed and can be shown in various ways. This idea has been supported by Mac and Connell (1995) who identified different groups of masculinity in a British school. They found that there were the ‘High Achievers’, ‘Macho Lads’, ‘New Entrepreneurs’ and ‘Real Englishmen’ which all showed masculinity as a result of social construction. The biosocial theory is more appropriate because it takes into account both biological and social influences.

In conclusion, the research described and evaluated above does show support for the idea that genetic coding for hormones does affect our gender development and therefore behaviour. On the other hand, it has also been shown that some of the studies have methodological flaws and have been criticised by further research suggesting the results are not as they seem. Perhaps also, gender development is better explained by the biosocial approach due to being less deterministic and fixed.
Urgh, just seriously cannot be bothered with revision. Being on a gap year and working two jobs seriously stops any motivation to revise :tongue: But a £1000 scholarship if I gain 4 UMS and total my overall grade in psychology to an A* is very motivating... I think I need to buy some more revision materials and start doing some spider diagrams and revision cards.

Hope everyones revision is going well.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Voila (bio = bio rhythms & sleep)

Thank youuuu! I'm doing those exact topics, and am really struggling on eating behaviour :frown: the other two I think I got down, but eating is a bi*ch. Pfftt, I only need a C for uni :biggrin:

Hey, I would love to have a sample essay for relationships. I have so much revision material but I guess none of it is useful until I get it in a exam style. :smile:
WOuld really appreciate it.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending