The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by droplet739
Finished! Feel free to message for hints.

Just need some hints if you're willing!
Original post by Bengleave
Just need some hints if you're willing!

Which do you need hints for?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fizzers
Which do you need hints with?

gold, it's a pain :frown:
Original post by Bengleave
gold, it's a pain :frown:

Ah, I remember that one! I would've been stuck on that for years if Droplet hadn't helped me! :redface:

You have to find the mass of SO2 produced first, then find out how much 5ppm is (mass per meter^3). Once you have that, find the maximum mass allowed in the room (which is less than a kilo) and find the length!
Original post by reecieboyblue
Really easy one, what's the current bronze, thought it was easy, typed it everything i thought would put the electronegativity to 0.46 and still nothing !

Ecell means the emf across the half-cells in thermodynamically reversible conditions, conserved charged etc., not electronegativity!

A simple google search mentioning the copper half cell and voltage should give you the answer :smile:
Hey Reecieboyblue.. is that the one with four gentlemen of science.... have you found there names? If so think about the background and what it could mean...(or where you may have seen it)
Anyone who fancies giving me a hand on this months silver would be amazing, literally can not find anything on a couple of the dates given !

The background image is super important! Do you recognise any of the scientists? (If not, reverse google image is your best friend) Find what the dates are for :smile:
Thank you ! Can't believe i didn't realise !

No worries! Glad that helped :biggrin:
What I totally forgot it has started back
Lots of scrolling ahead of me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2969
Have you got to the gold? I hate the calculation questions, can never seem to get their answer... am I close with 18750?
Reply 2970
Original post by fizzers
The background image is super important! Do you recognise any of the scientists? (If not, reverse google image is your best friend) Find what the dates are for :smile:

reverse google image doesnt work for those without a lot of cropping and hasstle- I went for the guy on the top left, if you have done/doing A level you may have heard of him... but like you say, background! :smile:
Reply 2971
They take it very, very seriously...a chemistry olympiad club, and know the people who write it etc. In addition some insanely smart chemists :smile: they get the chance to give scholarships for students from abroad, so have quite a selection!
Original post by oadf
Have you got to the gold? I hate the calculation questions, can never seem to get their answer... am I close with 18750?

You're really close
Everyone excited?????!
Reply 2974
Yep!
Unbelievably so! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thumbs up if you can't wait!!!
I'm an idiot
I'm stuck already!!!!
Any clues for silver
(edited 9 years ago)
Hmm gold...