The Student Room Group

Oxford gcse grades

Hi everyone, I’m a year 12 student and I want to apply to Oxford. My IGCSE grades are 9999999987, and my A level predicted grades are A*A*A*A*A*A.
So, I want to ask if my igcse grades are good enough? As I think my teacher mentioned that it is unlikely for students with a 7 to get into it… Also, I took my igcse exams overseas in another country, would it affect my application (the students were super crazy at that school, and nearly everyone got 8s and 9s) ?
Thank you so much!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There's no specific GCSE/IGCSE grade requirements for Oxford. While they may end up being a 'tie breaker' if there are two identical candidates and they can only take one for example, that's only 10% of your entire GCSE grades that received a 7, and 20% below a 9. One 7 isn't going to make or break your application :smile: don't count yourself out just because of one grade!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone, I’m a year 12 student and I want to apply to Oxford. My IGCSE grades are 9999999987, and my A level predicted grades are A*A*A*A*A*A.
So, I want to ask if my igcse grades are good enough? As I think my teacher mentioned that it is unlikely for students with a 7 to get into it… Also, I took my igcse exams overseas in another country, would it affect my application (the students were super crazy at that school, and nearly everyone got 8s and 9s) ?
Thank you so much!

It is perfectly normal for a student with a 7 to get into Oxford. I didn't even get a 9 in the subject I'm studying here.
Thank you so much!

6 A levels? Seems a suspiciously large number.

Supposing this thread is not a joke and you are genuinely taking that number of qualifications, you should stand a decent chance of getting in.

Though I’d bear in mind that straight 8/9 grades at GCSE and straight A* grades/predictions at A level do not necessarily mean a guaranteed place at Oxford.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Thank you so much!

1. What was the subject you achieved the 7 grade in? :s-smilie:

2. Which 6 A-Level subjects are you taking? :smile:

3. Which subject is the A grade prediction? :wink:

4. Cambridge University does not place as much emphasis on GCSE grades compared to Oxford University. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by emilyalexandria
It is perfectly normal for a student with a 7 to get into Oxford. I didn't even get a 9 in the subject I'm studying here.

Really?! Just curious, which subject are you doing? Coz I though they care about GCSE grades a lot...
Reply 6
Original post by thegeek888
1. What was the subject you achieved the 7 grade in? :s-smilie:

2. Which 6 A-Level subjects are you taking? :smile:

3. Which subject is the A grade prediction? :wink:

4. Cambridge University does not place as much emphasis on GCSE grades compared to Oxford University. :biggrin:

1. ESL (that's really stupid coz I was really sick on that day) but I have an 8 in EFL
2. Chemistry, biology, maths, further maths, history, and French
3. biology
4. I understand that, but I want to study chemistry, and I think Cambridge only offers the course of combined science...
1. ESL (that's really stupid coz I was really sick on that day) but I have an 8 in EFL
3. biology
4. I understand that, but I want to study chemistry, and I think Cambridge only offers the course of combined science...

Your grades are more than good enough for chemistry at Oxford.

If it reassures you even a little, I got an offer for chemistry at Oxford this year with 9,9,8,8,8,8,7,7,6,6 achieved at GCSE (the 9’s were in chemistry and maths) and A*A*A achieved at A level (I’m a gap year applicant and the A*’s were in chemistry and maths).

There’s a published admissions criteria you can use (linked below) and you can always look at competitions such as the Chemistry Olympiad.

https://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/admissions#collapse2607161
Really?! Just curious, which subject are you doing? Coz I though they care about GCSE grades a lot...

History and politics. My school was pretty bad, so it didn't hurt my application too much, but it still shows that getting all 9s isn't necessary.
Reply 9
3. biology

You should apply to Cambridge University for Natural Sciences. :smile:
Original post by thegeek888
You should apply to Cambridge University for Natural Sciences. :smile:

Only if the OP decides that the possible elective modules other than chemistry that you can take with Cambridge NatSci also appeal.

If not, they’d be better off sticking with applying to Oxford for chemistry.

That said, the OP should definitely look into Cambridge NatSci to see if it is more appealing to them than Oxford chemistry. https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences
Reply 11
Original post by TypicalNerd
Only if the OP decides that the possible elective modules other than chemistry that you can take with Cambridge NatSci also appeal.

If not, they’d be better off sticking with applying to Oxford for chemistry.

That said, the OP should definitely look into Cambridge NatSci to see if it is more appealing to them than Oxford chemistry. https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences

Thanks for your suggestion! But I think I will stick with chemistry, as I am not really good at/ interested in other science subjects.
Thanks for your suggestion! But I think I will stick with chemistry, as I am not really good at/ interested in other science subjects.

And that is exactly the same reasoning I had when picking between Cambridge NatSci and Oxford chemistry.

In that case, do look at my post before that one as it links the admissions criteria.

I also apologise if my first post rubbed off as a little abrasive. I have done some further reading and it is possible for people to take 6 A levels (I initially thought 5 was the max).
Yeah if this is my competition then I’m screwed
Reply 14
And that is exactly the same reasoning I had when picking between Cambridge NatSci and Oxford chemistry.

In that case, do look at my post before that one as it links the admissions criteria.

I also apologise if my first post rubbed off as a little abrasive. I have done some further reading and it is possible for people to take 6 A levels (I initially thought 5 was the max).

haha, no worries, taking 6 A levels is quite crazy.

I've read through the criteria, and I had won an award in Olympiad and I'm going to participate in the chemistry challenge, so hopefully they'll help...

Thanks again for your help! Really hope that I can be an oxford chemistry student like you next year.
Reply 15
Original post by emilyalexandria
History and politics. My school was pretty bad, so it didn't hurt my application too much, but it still shows that getting all 9s isn't necessary.

I see... thanks for that, it really reassures me a bit.

I've read through the criteria, and I had won an award in Olympiad and I'm going to participate in the chemistry challenge, so hopefully they'll help...

Thanks again for your help! Really hope that I can be an oxford chemistry student like you next year.

Oh they absolutely will. Even getting an award of any kind in either the Olympiad or C3L6 is great and looked upon favourably.

May I also suggest looking at getting the book “chemistry^3: introducing inorganic, organic and physical chemistry” by Burrows et al. It’s good prep for both Oxford chemistry and the Olympiad in my experience.
Reply 17
Oh they absolutely will. Even getting an award of any kind in either the Olympiad or C3L6 is great and looked upon favourably.

May I also suggest looking at getting the book “chemistry^3: introducing inorganic, organic and physical chemistry” by Burrows et al. It’s good prep for both Oxford chemistry and the Olympiad in my experience.

I've just had a look, and it seems to be a very nice book, indeed! I'll definitely read it. Thanks for such a good recomendation.
Nah you havent got all A* youve got no chance

Theres no way people are believing this bruh. if it were true you could literally just sit on your arse for the rest of the year and harvard would beg you to come
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 19

Why are you taking 6 A levels -especially as you say you are not interested in other sciences [you are taking Biology]

My school would not allow this number as there's so many other things to do to enhance your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending