The Student Room Group

Masters Abroad - In France?

Hi Guys,

I am about to finish my second year of a Finance & Accounting degree in the UK, and I was planning on moving to France for a year to learn the language and culture once I graduate.

However, I also have the idea of going on to do a Masters at some point, so I was wondering what are the options available to me to go and study for a Masters in France for a year?

What are the best Universities to go to in my desired career path? (Finance)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Or would it be better for me to perhaps study in say Sweden where Uni fee's are free for EU students?
Don't know what the deal for Masters in France is regarding fees, but unless you are REALLY good at French i'd be careful about attending a French university for a Masters.

Science PO is meant to be one of the best universities.. Check it out on the internet!
Reply 3
Ah okay, my French is basic.

Other than France, where else would be a good option for me to go? Hopefully an English taught course.
Seriously mate you should go. I went there for a week last summer, they all surrendered and technically I was president for a few days, no big deal :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by MrBez
Or would it be better for me to perhaps study in say Sweden where Uni fee's are free for EU students?

One advantage of studying in Sweden is that many of the courses are taught in English, at postgraduate level that is.
Reply 6
Original post by Arch Enemy
One advantage of studying in Sweden is that many of the courses are taught in English, at postgraduate level that is.

Do you know of any other EU cities that do this? Thanks for your reply.
Reply 7
Norway also has courses taught in English.
Reply 8
Original post by MrBez
Do you know of any other EU cities that do this? Thanks for your reply.

Tuition fees are not the problem for you; the issue is you being granted a residency permit (i.e. you want to stay there for three or more months) which relies on you having money to live on. Lots of countries have no tuition fees (Iceland, Denmark, Finland), or relatively small tuition fees (Germany and Holland), but in most cases their masters programmes last two years instead of one like in the UK, which means the question is still the same: do you have money to live on?

Masters in finance are always more expensive so studying in Europe is a good idea, and you can take out a career development to study within the EU too.
Reply 9
1. HEC Paris
2. ESSEC
3. ESCP Europe

(4. EM Lyon and 5. Edhec iff u really wanna be in France)
Reply 10
Original post by mother_eve3088

Science PO is meant to be one of the best universities.. Check it out on the internet!

SciencesPo for Finance...good joke mate well done
Reply 11
Original post by evantej
Tuition fees are not the problem for you; the issue is you being granted a residency permit (i.e. you want to stay there for three or more months) which relies on you having money to live on. Lots of countries have no tuition fees (Iceland, Denmark, Finland), or relatively small tuition fees (Germany and Holland), but in most cases their masters programmes last two years instead of one like in the UK, which means the question is still the same: do you have money to live on?

Masters in finance are always more expensive so studying in Europe is a good idea, and you can take out a career development to study within the EU too.

Thanks for the reply.

Being an EU student myself, I assume that there would be some sort of financial help available for me? Loans etc? Also, I have heard of this erasmus program? I would also be looking to work abroad which could help towards to living expenses.
Reply 12
Original post by DiCaprio

I have to agree. Sciences Po for political science or international affairs, yes. Finance, no.
Reply 13
Original post by MrBez
Thanks for the reply.

Being an EU student myself, I assume that there would be some sort of financial help available for me? Loans etc? Also, I have heard of this erasmus program? I would also be looking to work abroad which could help towards to living expenses.

I think you have to provide evidence that you have enough money to live on for the duration of your studies, or at the very least for that academic year. I am not sure if this applies everywhere but that is what the Nordic countries often insist on. For a masters you would probably not get any funding from student finance here or there. You might be able to find funding elsewhere though, I am not that familiar with whats available for finance, you could go for a career development loan.

As for Erasmus, I thought that was an exchange program for students studying here mainly and spending some time abroad rather than studying at a foreign university.
Reply 14
Your best bets (top schools/Grandes Ecoles, very good programs, highly regarded by IBks, taught in English, but ...expensive): http://www.hec.edu/MSc/Programs/MSc-in-Finance-business-track which is however a new program, and http://www.essec.edu/programs/advanced-masters-programs/advanced-masters-degree-in-financial-techniques-financial-engineering-asia-track/program.html

If money is an issue, you can look at less prestigious but way less expensive uni (Dauphine, IAE Aix or IAE Paris) programs, but these may not all focus on finance (save for Dauphine which has pretty decent finance Masters) and will most probably be taught in French.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by MrBez
[...] Being an EU student myself, I assume that there would be some sort of financial help available for me? Loans etc? Also, I have heard of this erasmus program? I would also be looking to work abroad which could help towards to living expenses.

Not necessarily, no. Because they do not charge tuition fees lots of countries do not provide any financial help; it depends very much where you want to study.

Erasmus is a programme run by the education section of the EU, with the intention of promoting student mobility amongst its partner countries and, in some cases, students from outside the EU too. Typically, students spend a semester abroad away from their home university in another country. This means that it is basically not an option for masters students unless you study in a country where masters last two years; typically they are done by undergraduate students, and it is becoming more popular for PhD students to spend time getting experience in another university.

Erasmus might also refer to particular masters and doctoral programmes which are co-ordinated by a number of universities (i.e. Erasmus MUNDUS). Essentially, it is a normal programme but you spend your time in two or three universities across Europe (and some programmes are worldwide too so you might be able to study in America or Australia, for example). There are some scholarships attached to these programmes, but they seem fairly expensive if you have to self-fund. In addition, they are very limited in terms of what you can actually study. If you cannot speak French fluently then I would not bother with this option at all. The three major languages are English, French and German and I think it is almost impossible to get by without being fluent in at least two, and some programmes, particularly in the arts, will expect you to pick up a third and even fourth language, for example.

Looking to work abroad is fine, and you should have no issues if you work in a EU member country, though I would check to see if there are any restrictions on the number of hours you are allowed to work, for example. However, finding work can be very hard depending on the country; I read statistics a few days ago that said foreigners were three times less likely to be employed than the home population in Finland; the commentary said that there was an element of discrimination against those who did not have a basic level of Finnish even if the job did not require it. Absolutely every university (not just Finnish ones) will tell you not to rely on gaining employment and to make provisions for your stay before you leave.

If you checked out the website rather than basing it on the name, you would see that it actually does many varied courses and masters... Including Finance.

http://master.sciences-po.fr/fr/content/finance-strategie

If you need help with the French I'm happy to oblige.
Reply 17
If you checked out the website rather than basing it on the name, you would see that it actually does many varied courses and masters... Including Finance.

http://master.sciences-po.fr/fr/content/finance-strategie

If you need help with the French I'm happy to oblige.

I lived in France during 20 years...u cannot teach me the french culture mate sorry
Now, regarding finance, Sciences Po is a joke if taking into account the quality of the other Bschools (HEC/ESSEC/ESCP)
I lived in France during 20 years...u cannot teach me the french culture mate sorry
Now, regarding finance, Sciences Po is a joke if taking into account the quality of the other Bschools (HEC/ESSEC/ESCP)

To begin with, I'm not 'teaching' you the French culture. Also I am not your 'mate', firstly I'm female, secondly I don't know you!

PO requested information on places to do a Masters in Science in France. Science PO is currently a high standing place of academia in a lot of their departments. I therefore put it forward as an option. PO does not have to take my suggestion, but it is another place to look at.
Reply 19
To begin with, I'm not 'teaching' you the French culture. Also I am not your 'mate', firstly I'm female, secondly I don't know you!

PO requested information on places to do a Masters in Science in France. Science PO is currently a high standing place of academia in a lot of their departments. I therefore put it forward as an option. PO does not have to take my suggestion, but it is another place to look at.

Relax girl. No need to give details about ur personal situation, no one cares.
Then, let me make a few things clear:

You have to be careful about what you say. Your comments can be easily misinterpreted as u consider Sciences Po to be the best university in France...However true it may be to some extent, we are dealing with Finance here.
This is a misconception and over simplified vision of the french system

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending