The Student Room Group

Masters Abroad - In France?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DiCaprio
Relax girl. No need to give details about ur personal situation, no one cares.
Then, let me make a few things clear:

You have to be careful about what you say. Your comments can be easily misinterpreted as u consider Sciences Po to be the best university in France...However true it may be to some extent, we are dealing with Finance here.
This is a misconception and over simplified vision of the french system

*your
*you

If you read my first comment properly, you'll see I say Science PO is 'meant to be' one of the best universities. I'm saying this from previous recommendations of people I have talked to and studied there. I certainly did not say it was 'the best university' in France. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

However, again, I reiterate the fact I was putting an option forward.

/thread
OMG,

Di Caprio, you are talking with so much arrogance and you seem not to realize it.
Anyway,
I also recommend, MSc or MS at hec, essec, escp specialized in finance
Dauphine, Assas, Sorbonne that offer good master's degree in finance and really cheap
Science po is not bad for corporate finance whatever Caprio could say.

If you are not at ease with French, HEC offers a 100% english master program, specialized in International Finance, 50-50 market/corporate.
Reply 22
As long as you are an EU citizen, you actually don't need a resident permit if you choose to move to another EU country whether it is for studies or work.

Original post by evantej
Tuition fees are not the problem for you; the issue is you being granted a residency permit (i.e. you want to stay there for three or more months) which relies on you having money to live on. Lots of countries have no tuition fees (Iceland, Denmark, Finland), or relatively small tuition fees (Germany and Holland), but in most cases their masters programmes last two years instead of one like in the UK, which means the question is still the same: do you have money to live on?

Masters in finance are always more expensive so studying in Europe is a good idea, and you can take out a career development to study within the EU too.
Reply 23
Original post by Apollonia
As long as you are an EU citizen, you actually don't need a resident permit if you choose to move to another EU country whether it is for studies or work.

If you want to stay in a country longer than three months, even if you are an EU citizen, you need a residence permit or to register locally; international students need one before they enter the country, while EU students can apply for one when they get there; that is the difference. See the following university websites as proof:

- University of Copenhagen (Denmark)
- Lund University (Sweden)

While some other countries are less-lax about this, they still suggest that EU students have to register locally even if it is not for a residence permit per se.

- University of Amsterdam (Holland)
- Freie Universitat Berlin (Germany)
Reply 24
In Sweden, as an EU citizen you do not need a resident's permit to study or work regardless of how many months you plan to stay. However, you need to, as you mentioned, register with the Swedish migration board.

Even I, as a Swede, have to register again when I move back to Sweden.

So the difference is that EU students do not need resident's permit, they merely need to register with the Swedish migration board, whereas non-EU students must apply for resident's permits. :smile:

Original post by evantej
If you want to stay in a country longer than three months, even if you are an EU citizen, you need a residence permit or to register locally; international students need one before they enter the country, while EU students can apply for one when they get there; that is the difference. See the following university websites as proof:

- University of Copenhagen (Denmark)
- Lund University (Sweden)

While some other countries are less-lax about this, they still suggest that EU students have to register locally even if it is not for a residence permit per se.

- University of Amsterdam (Holland)
- Freie Universitat Berlin (Germany)
Reply 25
Original post by blackberrio
OMG,

Dauphine, Assas, Sorbonne that offer good master's degree in finance and really cheap
Science po is not bad for corporate finance whatever Caprio could say.

Brilliant. Assas for finance.

Now, I am not saying Sciences Po is bad. (It may even be the best french school, depending on what u wanna study). Im only speaking in relative terms and thus saying its reputation is not as great as you believe it is.
In other words, for finance, The Parisiennes are much better. End of story.

After all, we are talking about the best unis in France for finance, are we not?
The parisiennes are much better but still Science po MAster in Finance & Strategy is targetted by most IB in Paris.
Reply 27
omg. This discussion must be totally confusing and, to some extent, misleading to those who are not in the know.
Reply 28
Please note I was ironic in my previous comment about Assas for finance. I am not that crazy yet.
Reply 29
And I am vainly trying to explain that in the french spirit nothing is better than the Grandes Ecoles (and thus the Parisiennes for finance although the ecoles d'ingenieur are even better but this is another debate)
Reply 30
Hi, I am studying in France now; I come from China:smile:
can anybody be my speaking English partner? I can speak fluently French but with an accent. Of course, I can also speak my mother tongue Chinese, so you can also chat Chinese with me.

Mon niveau français est Dalf C2
???????

My email is Mod edit: e-mail address removed. Please use PMs to exchange contact details:wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending