The Student Room Group

Computer Science -Bath VS Essex ???

Hi everyone. I am new here and I need help in order to make my university choice. I think that the league tables are something useful but not so accurate and detailed. I have conditional offers from Bath and Essex for Computer Science and I dont know which university to chose
First - Bath is famous for being more prestigious as a whole, according to statistics, the majority of students are satisfied with the eduaction, the graduate prospects and employability after that are really high. Second - my conditional offer from Bath has higher requirements compared with my conditional offer from Essex, which means that probably the academic standarts in Bath are higher, the education has higher quality,etc. In brief, Bath seems to be more famous, more well-known, more prestigous university with higher academic standarts and requirements compared to Essex (ot at least I think so).
On the other hand, however, the programme in Essex seems more interesting. Apart from the common Maths and programming , there are other excting and practical things such as web development, networking, security, datababses, artificial intelligence etc. In Bath - these things dont seem to be included (or at least they are not mentioned) The curriculum seems to be really "narrow", abstract and theoretical (I might be wrong, dont know)
TO CONCLUDE - Bath (comp sci) VS Essex (comp sci) - Bath seems to be more prestigous but the curriculum there seems to be less practical and useful.
PLEASE, anybody from Essex or Bath or anywhere - share an opinion and help me make up my mind 'cos I dont have much time. Tnx in advance =]
Original post by Gesho

On the other hand, however, the programme in Essex seems more interesting. Apart from the common Maths and programming , there are other excting and practical things such as web development, networking, security, datababses, artificial intelligence etc. In Bath - these things dont seem to be included (or at least they are not mentioned) The curriculum seems to be really "narrow", abstract and theoretical (I might be wrong, dont know)

Bath do a networking module in the second year and a further one in the third year. Databases are done in the second year, and AI is an optional module in the third year.
Reply 2
Tnx a lot for the info! I am really keen on networking and I have recently taken my Cisco CCNA certificate. I also fing the issue of databses and AI interesting and it is great that they are also covered. It seems that Bath outweighs the others ... and who knows - that might be my choice. Again - tnx for the info. I wil be glad to hear other opinions, too=]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending