The Student Room Group

loan wont be enough !

Maintenance loan of £4,595
Maintenance Grant of £711

My university is in Epsom, Surrey (so a small town less likely to have job offers).
the cheapest accomodation i can get it is;
£4,083.60 yearly.

I have £900 in savings
It's a creative course so materials i will have to buy also.
I doubt my mum will help me financially (im assuming to the fact she doesn't think i will need a place to stay when i come home in the summer).

What am i supposed to live on? suggestions? has anyone else managed to live on a pitiful amount a year?
Get a job over the summer and while you are there. You can rack up a fair bit over the summer to help cushion you.
Reply 2
job
Reply 3
As others said try to get a job now and over the summer and get some money saved together.
Play the stock market with some of your savings? (you can practice before you actually start trading)
Get a summer job or a christmas job either here or abroad?

Most students now face this problem TBH. I'll be getting £200 less next year than this year but be paying £80 more in rent and almost certainly more in gas and leccy bills. What I don't get is why the government isn't happy to give us a large loan - they'll recoup the money anyway, especially from those of us under the current system who will only wind up paying c.£20k for university rather than c.£30-40k and are thus more likely to be able to actually pay it all back.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Over £1000 a year to live on, before you even use any of your own money? I wouldn't say that's an awful situation to be in really, or is there something I'm missing?
Mate, you're getting nearly £2k more than some people. Get a job over the summer and save like crazy, get a job at uni, those are your only options.
Reply 7
that's over 2 grand after accommodation! How could you not live on that!?
This is about the 1 millionth of this exact thread. Surely just do a goddamn search?
Reply 9
Original post by brent_dlk
that's over 2 grand after accommodation! How could you not live on that!?

But if you divide i down into 41 weeks (the weeks ill be at uni) it isn't that much?

Original post by lazy smurf
This is about the 1 millionth of this exact thread. Surely just do a goddamn search?

wow

Original post by Swindan
Over £1000 a year to live on, before you even use any of your own money? I wouldn't say that's an awful situation to be in really, or is there something I'm missing?

£1000 for a year to live on? is that not little? i pressumed people lived on atleast 3k a year?
Reply 10
I've just finished one year and used about £1300...
You say you have savings; that's a lot more than most people start uni with, so be thankful you had the sense to save up before! Everyone has to cut back a little bit, but you will get used to buying cheaper foods and you'll know the own-brand prices like the back of your hand, haha.
Reply 12
Around £50 a week is plenty to live on! And even if you feel you need more, get a part time job or do some matched betting for a bit of extra cash.
Get a job, like now and work like crazy, and put it all into a savings account...
Reply 14
get a job?
Reply 15
Original post by Aarroonnn

£1000 for a year to live on? is that not little? i pressumed people lived on atleast 3k a year?

£1000 isn't terrible no, but the point I was trying to make is that's before you add a penny of your own money. You have quite a large sum in savings already, and you can just work throughout the summers to add to it. Another option would be get a student account with an interest free overdraft, which you can then pay off with a job in the holidays.

For the record, my maintence loan doesn't even cover the cost of my chosen accomodation, and I don't get a grant. Fortunately I'm in a very good position financially, but I know there are others with similar loans who aren't so lucky, so feel happy you get left with over £1000 after accomodation :smile:
Original post by Aarroonnn
But if you divide i down into 41 weeks (the weeks ill be at uni) it isn't that much?

wow

With my phone bill (monthly) deducted from what I have to live off after rent, I have spent the last year living off £7.50 a week. If I can manage with that, you can definitely get by... and then some.
Reply 17
My maintance loan/grant leaves me about £90 to spend on EVERYTHING else after accommodation and my parents are yet to fill out their forms and don't have half the documents Student Finance are asking for so you can imagine how much worse I have it than you.

£50 a week is actually more than enough and should definitely cover food/clothes unless you eat like a pig and shop like a rah. Also just try and find a weekend job somewhere even if it's not as close to your uni as you'd like. It's amazing how much 8 hours of work a week can help you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending