The Student Room Group

Courses in english in other EU countries

going by what I've learnt since they raised fees, its now cheaper/same price to study in other EU countries

so i was wondering which of the top european unis did humanities courses (preferably combined like the one they offer at durham) which are taught in english

and how you'd get funding, loans, etc for it

Ta :smile:
Reply 1
I'm sorry but I can't give you any concrete information. But you should probably take a look at some Nordic universities, as they have no tuition fees. Unis like Uppsala, Lund, Copenhagen or Aarhus have a great international reputation, and they probably offer several humanities courses
Original post by Donosti
I'm sorry but I can't give you any concrete information. But you should probably take a look at some Nordic universities, as they have no tuition fees. Unis like Uppsala, Lund, Copenhagen or Aarhus have a great international reputation, and they probably offer several humanities courses

Although none of them teach full undergraduate programmes in the arts and humanities in English.
Hi EmManzo,

There are lots of choices in the EU to study your desired subject. A useful site is www.bachelorsportal.eu you can search for your programme and it tells you the tuition fee too. If you need support with funding then you have to speak to the university directly and they will either help or point you in the right direction.

If you are going to study in 2012 - then I suggest popping along to our Student World fair - it's FREE and we are having 50 universities from around the world coming along to tell UK students about their university, their degrees, the costs etc... You might even win £3,000 towards your studies!

www.thestudentworld.com
Your best bet would be fellow English speaking Ireland.
In Ireland, you can study English as part of an Arts degree at 5 universities. In Trinity it's different. You can study English alone or combine it with one other subject. These combinations have their own points requirements- driven by demand. English and History for example is quite high, English and Psychology is almost the highest points you can get. English in general is very competitive and in high demand- so grades needed are high. English by itself last year was 505. You would need AAA relly, or AAAB if you want to combine it- average points to combine English would be 535. By contrast, Arts courses in the other universities are standardised, and hover around 360 for all subjects, whic you choose later.

As an EU citizen, you qualify for free fees. Your tuitin fees are paid for you. Your registration fee (often called 'fees by the back door') will be around €2000- 2500 per year. I starte in 2007 and it was around €800 then, unfortunately it rises every year but they are trying to cap it at that now. And obviously nothing in comparison to fees in England. €2000 would be roughly £1700. Student loans are not really done here at all, because of free fees. The grant system is extremely flawed and delayed, as well as being cut severely in recent years. You would have to resident here for some time before you could apply. As an English student or English-combined of Trinity you would never have more than 15 hours a week, so just get a job like everyone else. Jobs tend to pay €9 an hour, which is above our minimum wage. It's possible to work 20 hours a week with so few lecture hours. I earned €15k a year in my job, certainly enough for rent.
Reply 6
Go to google and search for "study in . ....." you will see most EU countries have specific websites including france, sweden, denmark, finland, germany etc
Generally there are very few English degrees, most english degrees are available at Masters level. Not saying they are not available. It maybe worth doing a year of the language at the university you apply to, so as to increase the number of courses available to you / number of unis.
Sciences Po have some English programmes at their various sites. Also throughout Scandanavia, the netherlands etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending