The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Is reading university good for law

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I hear they make really cool robots there.
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
I'm studying Law at Reading and think some of the posts about never getting a decent job in the legal sector are complete rubbish!! In the past two weeks I have been to two open days at huge law firms in London, both of whom regard Reading very highly and made it quite clear they do take trainees from the uni. Just because you don't need AAA to get it in does not mean the standard of the law school is any worse! This year only one of my lectures has been cancelled due to a timetable clash and the lecturers have never not turned up!!
Reading has an amazing campus, the Law School building Foxhill House is gorgeous, the lectures are a good quality, there is a huge focus on careers with sessions every week, the town is lovely and the nightlife is really good too!! I would definitely recommend a law degree at Reading x
Reply 42
Lexidancer, cheers for the reply, your help was great and i'm pretty sure that i'm going to select Reading now. Cheers for everyones help, i'm really grateful, thanks
Original post by lexidancer26
I'm studying Law at Reading and think some of the posts about never getting a decent job in the legal sector are complete rubbish!! In the past two weeks I have been to two open days at huge law firms in London, both of whom regard Reading very highly and made it quite clear they do take trainees from the uni. Just because you don't need AAA to get it in does not mean the standard of the law school is any worse! This year only one of my lectures has been cancelled due to a timetable clash and the lecturers have never not turned up!!
Reading has an amazing campus, the Law School building Foxhill House is gorgeous, the lectures are a good quality, there is a huge focus on careers with sessions every week, the town is lovely and the nightlife is really good too!! I would definitely recommend a law degree at Reading x

Can you tell me more about studying Law at Reading? I have an offer from Reading and am seriously considering to go there? What would you say are the main advantages and disadvantages?
Thank you in advance.
Thank you so much for telling me your take on the university! It is very important to me and I am very grateful that I can see the faculty from a student's point of view :smile:

I have firmed Reading as my university so I would probably go to Reading this october which is very exciting! Do you have any tips that you would like to give to first year undergraduates like myself?

I wish you the very best when you graduate and I am sure that you will have a bright future ahead of youx :smile:

Original post by Legal_eagle2012
Speaking as a current law student, this is my take on Reading.

Advantages:

Rated relatively highly for law amongst Law firms (Norton Rose and Olswang in particular I know have taken on graduates from Reading)

Teaching itself is generally pretty good (Not sure where the rumour about lecturers not turning up has come from. It's only happened I think once to me, and that was because the lecturer was ill!)

Excellent careers support (Lots of links with law firms, visting careers talks, employability week etc)

Very good academics

Active student law society

Lots of pro bono opportunities

Disadvantages:

The university itself is less prestigious than others ranked in similar league table positions. I guess this has a knock on effect in more general areas such as library funding etc.

As I say this is my take on it, and I accept I am slightly biased! However, I've definitely had an amazing 3 years at Reading and will be sad to graduate this summer! Feel free to PM me if anyone wants any more info. :smile:
A law degree from Reading is very well regarded. I have spoken to a lot of people in the field, as I have managed to get 3 internships even though I go to Reading. Everyone says Reading is a great uni for law and that I should not put too much emphasis on which university to go to, more about what degree i get and doing extra things such as internships, law society, work experience etc. Reading is consistently ranked high the league tables. This year it is 9th on Times and was 8th for 2012 which shows it must be doing something right. I think people have a misconception about it because it is not very well known compared to uni's such as manchester, nottingham, london etc as it is not a huge place. This year three A's are needed to enter, which shows the type of people that apply and go there.
It has a really good erasmus program, I studied in Vienna for a year which was amazing, but other people went to France, Sweden, Italy, Spain, Germany, The Netherlands. Most of the places you go you don't even need to speak the language. I would definitely suggest looking into that if you can.
The teaching is good, campus is beautiful and a really good place to live. You have to go to a uni which is best suited to you and you will have fun, do well and more likely get a career after. There is no use going to Oxbridge if you don't enjoy it and come out with a lower class degree.

Overall don't listen to anyone that says Reading is a mediocre uni, its not and you will love it there.
is it good for both the nightlife and the education , and how is it for business ?
Reply 47
Original post by jessicathorpe
is it good for both the nightlife and the education , and how is it for business ?

I really enjoy the night life in Reading. It's always busy, especially on the weekends. There are several good clubs and a ton of pubs and bars too. There's always at least one student night out every day of the week bar Sunday. The union nights are very good too.

As a business student you'll have a lot of lectures at Henley Business School which is a great place to study and is one of the best in the UK.
Be aware of Reading Law School since all those teachers and professors and the Head of Law School involved in Bracton Law Society racism at Exeter Law School have left Exeter and now joined Reading Law School
Original post by Jakko247
You will never get a job in the legal sector with a degree from Reading.
Not true. 70% of graduates from Reading are currently engaged in activity related to their degree according to The Complete University Guide. That said, entrants for Law at some ex-polytechnics have higher grades on average than at Reading. Northumbria regularly takes on the traditional universities. It's weird how Reading and Leicester, two traditional universities who respectively once had their degrees awarded by Oxford and University of London respectively, seem content to be overtaken by ex-polytechnics in certain subjects. I think that the feel of University of Reading looks more like any campus university.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending