The Student Room Group

reading, aston or kent for law

Went into clearing and have 3 options here, preferably Aston for convenience and placement but I don't mind reading and Kent, which one would be considered most respectable.
Reply 1
which one would be most respectable for someone to go to
Reply 2
Kent is higher in rankings and graduate prospects.Have a look yourself at campus videos and courses.Reading is a nice green campus modernist town.Aston graduate prospects not so good.
Reply 3
Original post by Sj568
Went into clearing and have 3 options here, preferably Aston for convenience and placement but I don't mind reading and Kent, which one would be considered most respectable.

I heard someone saying Aston's Law School is a renowned one out of the three you mentioned.
Kent is the highest ranked for law I believe. I've also heard good things in terms of law for the other two as well though. If you have verbal offers from all three, I would go off of convenience and maybe the social scene tbh.
Kent/reading is best. But if don’t like the location then go somewhere you will enjoy.
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi @Sj568

Congratulations on receiving your clearing options for University.

I have just finished my second year of law at the University of Kent, hope I can give you some insights into studying law at Kent to inform your decision.

The reason I chose Kent was the critical approach they adopt in teaching the law. Not only do we look at legislations and case law, we are also taught to think about the law in context. This would mean touching on the history, political background, seeing how the law plays out in real life under the influence of Brexit etc.

For me, Kent University also stood out since it offers the "Law Clinic". This is where local people come in and receive legal advice from our team of professionals. Discussion sessions are hosted weekly, so you can attend and listen to real life cases in an area that interest you. There are also opportunities to volunteer and work on client cases. It is especially interesting for me to get an insight on how trained solicitors solve problems and deliver advice. More information on this can be found here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/law/kent-law-clinic.

Kent offers a lot of support to new students. During first year, every law student is paired with a second or third year student who acts as their mentor. Having this extra support on top of the support from academic advisors was really great and it eased me into studying law. You could ask them anything, either related to the law course, or just general tips on settling into University. You can find more about this here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/student-learning-advisory-service/academic-peer-mentoring.

One thing I really enjoyed at Kent is the ability to get involved in law related events since first year. During first year, I was lucky to get involved in a mooting (mock trial) event, where I could develop research and public speaking skills.

Overall, I find that Kent is a really good option for studying law, provided the early exposure to different types of areas of law and the levels of support that we receive from academic staff and mentors.

P.S. The Canterbury campus and facilities are really gorgeous. The environment is really nice with easy access to the City Centre. It is a perfect place if you are looking for a combination of urban and countryside. :smile:

I hope this helps you to inform your decision. All the best! :biggrin:

Chloe
- University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
Aston has an optional placement year which I think is highly valued but reading seems to be better overall with graduate prospects. Which has a more reputable name for law and is a placement year for law really worth going to Birmingham for it lol. I have about an hour to decide
Reply 8
Original post by Sj568
Aston has an optional placement year which I think is highly valued but reading seems to be better overall with graduate prospects. Which has a more reputable name for law and is a placement year for law really worth going to Birmingham for it lol. I have about an hour to decide

From what I can see both are pretty reputable, the placement yr could really help out with career experience later on . Not sure If reading does so.
Original post by Sj568

@UniofReading can you help here?
Original post by Sj568

Thanks for tagging us @Paulwyn! Hopefully we're not too late.

Congratulations on getting your offer for both universities @Sj568 - this is a great achievement! At Reading, whilst we don't have a direct placement, there are plenty of opportunities to get involved in additional work experience. We even have work experience placements offered as prizes for our mooting competitions! You also have access to a dedicated careers consultant whilst you study with us, who can help you with work experience, so there are still plenty of opportunities to build up your experience whilst studying with us. It's worth noting that students can also suspend their studies for a year to take a placement, so a year long placement can be an option.

Best of luck making your decision!

Lottie
GRTUK and Reading alumna (History)
Threads merged

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending